Liver failure caused by too much protein!?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I recently heard from a girl I know that two dogs living on the farm she moved to died from liver failure due to too much protein in the food she gave them:*( They had been eating some cheap dog food in the past and looked terrible, she wanted to be nice and started giving them the same expensive food she buys for her dogs. According to her vet it was the high protein in the food that caused the problem since they weren't used to it:nope: I just wanted to share it here in case someone rescues a dog and doesn't know what food it was on before... it may be safer to get a lower protein dog food to start with and very slowly introduce more protein so the liver can deal with the change. Sometimes being nice goes wrong, and I would be so sad if it happened to someone here:cry: This incident shows how important it is to gradually change food, no matter if it is from a "bad" food to a "good" one... Take care:) <3

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Thanks so much for sharing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I'm sorry to hear of her loss when she was only trying to help. :(

I'm going to tag [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] to see what she thinks.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Too much protein won't cause damage to a healthy liver. What it will do is cause the liver to fail sooner if there is already an underlying problem. One of the livers jobs is to filter protein byproducts from the blood. If the liver is already compromised that excess protein will build up and cause further damage. The fact that you say these dogs "looked terrible" leads me to believe that they already had some form of liver disease that likely went undiagnosed. The fact that both dogs died of the same condition probably means that they were exposed to some sort of toxin or parasite.

That said, a diet high in FAT can also compromise the liver as will a trauma, heatstroke or the bacteria from tooth decay.

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thanks for the infor [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thanks [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], the dogs were random mixed breed dogs hanging around the farm so they were most likely abandoned by the farms previous owner:*( poor dogges, who knows what those two had been through:cry:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Thanks for the information. Our vet says that really active dogs (working cow dogs, etc.) can handle high protein dog food much better than inactive dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How sad..... but great info to have shared with us

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Too much protein won't cause damage to a healthy liver. What it will do is cause the liver to fail sooner if there is already an underlying problem. One of the livers jobs is to filter protein byproducts from the blood. If the liver is already compromised that excess protein will build up and cause further damage. The fact that you say these dogs "looked terrible" leads me to believe that they already had some form of liver disease that likely went undiagnosed. The fact that both dogs died of the same condition probably means that they were exposed to some sort of toxin or parasite.

That said, a diet high in FAT can also compromise the liver as will a trauma, heatstroke or the bacteria from tooth decay.

Agree w/Bev @Twice...there was an underlying problem or a sudden, unknown fact
that caused their death and it coincided w/change of food. Altho, any food change
is best done slowly but I do not believe the food caused their death...so sad!

Thank you for posting this, Petra...GOD bless!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
thats so sad, she must be devastated. give her my sympathy

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Definitely a sad situation. Thank you [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] for the info.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

did you hear that noise .. a kind of THUD .. that was my jaw dropping to the floor ... cos you are amazing. You are the doggy food oracle!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
did you hear that noise .. a kind of THUD .. that was my jaw dropping to the floor ... cos you are amazing. You are the doggy food oracle!!!

:rofl:

Abby spent her whole little life in danger of liver damage. Kidney failure can cause all kinds of other organs to shut down. Liver... Pancreas... Heart... the list goes on.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.