Puppy Food question

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have a friend who just acquired a 9wk old male bully. I recommended Fromm's Grain free and gave her some to use until she could get to the feed store. However the Lady at the feed store in town didn't advise her to get her puppy on Grain-free right away.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. Is there a risk or need to worry about starting a puppy off Grain-free?

[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION], What do you recommend? He is currently eating the grain-free because that is what I had and gave her some to start him off.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
From what I was told Grains are actually good for a dog. The only reason you should go to grain free is if they are grain intolerant. copied this from a website:bust:
Is a Grain-Free Diet Right for My Dog?
When an animal eats the same food day in and day out, it sometimes develops allergies, skin irritations, and digestive problems. Switching the diet of your dog helps to combat these problems, and the alternative carbohydrates sources in no grain diets may do the trick.

A grain free diet is a healthy option to feed your dog, but not necessarily better than any other high quality dog food. If you feed your dog a quality food from day one, and offer them a variety of different diets, your pet will stay healthy throughout the course of their life.

Read more at Suite101: Is a No Grain Diet Right for Your Dog?: Separating Fact from Fiction Regarding Grain Free Diets for Dogs Is a No Grain Diet Right for Your Dog?: Separating Fact from Fiction Regarding Grain Free Diets for Dogs

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When we got Daddy we immediately started the VERY slow switch to FROMM Salmon n Veg. That's what [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] had recommended for Maggie. I checked the website and it says that this paticular FROMM food is for all stages of life so I just switched Daddy on to that. So far he's doing great!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help as usual but maybe you can get her to join the site also. :) You know how much we LOVE bully pups. :D

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
I'm the one that Bella's mom is referring to. We got Emmitt on Monday night and he's been such a sweetie.
Anyway, I went to get his food yesterday and the lady told me that I am unnecessarily limiting his diet. She said grain-free should only be used if an allergy is suspected. She acted like I may be causing him more problems by leaving out the grain.

While I'm posting, how do I put in a profile picture? I have his picture in an album.

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
No help as usual but maybe you can get her to join the site also. :) You know how much we LOVE bully pups. :D

She has joined and I e-mailed her yesterday to post a photo. I know she has been reading up on the food etc....

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm the one that Bella's mom is referring to. We got Emmitt on Monday night and he's been such a sweetie.
Anyway, I went to get his food yesterday and the lady told me that I am unnecessarily limiting his diet. She said grain-free should only be used if an allergy is suspected. She acted like I may be causing him more problems by leaving out the grain.

While I'm posting, how do I put in a profile picture? I have his picture in an album.

Welcome to the site! There is a tutorial for profile pics and signatures also in the forum. Look in the tutorial section and you will find answers to every question you will have in this dept. As far as the food goes until we hear from lindathedogsmaid I bet [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will have an answer also. I wouldnt think you are doing "damage" by any means but we will find out what is best for your pup in the mean time.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
@EmmitE Welcome Emmit and mom. I was told the same thing by my vet for the girls. She said since they dont have allergies grain free would not be a good idea for them but to switch between formulas of their brand so they don't develop allergies. Beefy is on grain free but he has grain intolernace so its neccessary for him. Also congrats on the new puppy and being a memeber of the best place EVER for EB advice, great friends,support and a laugh when u need it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would not worry about putting them on grain free immediately. The vet is right- they don't usually develop allergies during their first year. They can, however, still be affected by wind and dust, depends on the bulldog. I don't think you are 'limiting' him, but you may want to switch brands and protiens to see how he reacts to each food type. I also am led to believe that too high of a protien content is not good for young pups. They do need plenty of iron, vitamins and fat.

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Ok, thanks. So he's on grain-free surf and turf now. Maybe I should return the big bag of grain-free surf and turf and buy a big bag of the Fromm's regular food and a small bag of grain free to make the transition.
I also have a 10 year old pug that I'm going to transition to whatever the puppy is eating................unless I find out that's a terrible idea. The pug has been eating Science Diet his whole life.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I also have a 10 year old pug that I'm going to transition to whatever the puppy is eating................unless I find out that's a terrible idea. The pug has been eating Science Diet his whole life.

I think thats a great idea to get your pug on a good food also. How cute, I have a pug too. :) Just watch and make sure he doesnt have any allergic reactions or anything since he has been on the same food for so long. You can always go back tho if he seems happier on the old.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to our group! Emmett is just plain adorable! I have two 5 month old pups and it's my understanding that they don't really need a grain frre diet unless they have allergies, and usually pups don't have allergies the first year. So I'm not feeding them grain free, they're just on a good quality food (Nature's Variety). I'll keep them on this food and hope for the best!

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, thanks. So he's on grain-free surf and turf now. Maybe I should return the big bag of grain-free surf and turf and buy a big bag of the Fromm's regular food and a small bag of grain free to make the transition.

If you know what you want, let me know. I need a big bag of Surf and Turf anyway. I will buy you the replacement bag.....I was headed to the feed store tomorrow. Will you be at work? I will stop by and get you the food. I want to pick up a special toy for Emmitt anyway.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had a similar issue right after Truman came from his hip surgery and developed a raging case of diarrhea. At that time, I had him in grain free, all stages food. My vet recommended giving him at least half puppy food (we give him Innova right now) because sometimes the all stages grain free can be too high in protein, making it harder to digest and also encouraging too much growth too quickly, but as desertsky points out, puppy food has extra fat, iron and other minerals that are important for growth and to develop a mature immune system. This made sense to me so I feed Baby T half Nature's Variety Grain Free and half Innova Puppy and so far it's been really good and he hasn't had any digestive or other problems. So that might be an option for you too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online