3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you got really good advice from everyone above. I have two 16 month old siblings, Bulldozer and Blossom. They were on puppy food until they were 7 months old, and I fed them 1 cup 3 times a day. Then I switched to two 1 cup feedings a day, one in the morning, and one in the evening. They get plain yogurt on their kibble in the morning, and I give them treats during the day like cut up apples, or they share a banana, or strawberries, cheese strings, or green beans. My two both weigh 45 lbs, but my vet wants me to keep them at 40 lbs, so suggested I cut back their food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day, I don't think they are overweight, but she says it's hard on their joints to be overweight. My two get two long walks a ay, once in the morning, and once in the evening, we let them run free down at the trail and river behind my house in the morning when it's cooler outside. There isn't really any set rules on the feeding schedule or amounts as every bully is different, mine are smaller, so twice a day feedings are fine for them, also you can gage it on the poops, if they are pooping many times a day, or if they are soft or mushy, then it may be too much food. My guys poop two or three times a day, and they are soft but firm. If your guy isn't overweight, as this is not good for their back or joints, and his poops are good, then you can give a little more food. Your baby is super cute.

Heres a picture of my two

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you got really good advice from everyone above. I have two 16 month old siblings, Bulldozer and Blossom. They were on puppy food until they were 7 months old, and I fed them 1 cup 3 times a day. Then I switched to two 1 cup feedings a day, one in the morning, and one in the evening. They get plain yogurt on their kibble in the morning, and I give them treats during the day like cut up apples, or they share a banana, or strawberries, cheese strings, or green beans. My two both weigh 45 lbs, but my vet wants me to keep them at 40 lbs, so suggested I cut back their food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day, I don't think they are overweight, but she says it's hard on their joints to be overweight. My two get two long walks a ay, once in the morning, and once in the evening, we let them run free down at the trail and river behind my house in the morning when it's cooler outside. There isn't really any set rules on the feeding schedule or amounts as every bully is different, mine are smaller, so twice a day feedings are fine for them, also you can gage it on the poops, if they are pooping many times a day, or if they are soft or mushy, then it may be too much food. My guys poop two or three times a day, and they are soft but firm. If your guy isn't overweight, as this is not good for their back or joints, and his poops are good, then you can give a little more food. Your baby is super cute.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I give Brie 1 cup of Fromm puppy gold w 1/2 can Fromm wet 2x day (breakfast n dinner) she is 7 mos as of today and weighs 33 pounds. Of course she gets snacks here n there during the day..she likes the yogurt/peanut butter drops and dried sweet potatoes to chew on. (She gets one of each at some point). plus i'll give her a small piece of liver brownie in her crate when she takes a crate break.) I have to try the frozen green beans now! I'm switching her to a Fromm adult as soon as she is done w this puppy bag which will be soon.

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Am I under feeding Bailey. I give her 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day; in the morning with a dollop of yogurt, 2nd meal with a dollop of pumpkin, 3rd meal just the 1/2 cup of kibble. She is gaining weight, about 1 pound a week; she'll be 13 weeks the 15th and she weighs 14.2 pounds.

This is a fairly recent photo, 6 days ago. She's wet, she was playing in the hose.

Attachments

• wet_bailey.jpg
    wet_bailey.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 29

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets 3/4 cup of Fromm Puppy Gold twice a day morning and night. Throughout the day she gets snacks and treats like apples, bananas, yogurt with apple and slices of bell peppers and she is right at about 11 pounds at 10 weeks old and her vet says she looks fantastic. Our goal it to try and keep her between 40 and 45 pounds when she is full grown.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed raw, but I don't quite get the weaning part???:confused: One day my boys got 3 meals and the next they got 2. It anyway ended up being the same amount.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.