3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
how did you successfully do this? i have started about a month ago to decrease her lunch meal - we are down to 1/4 cup now, but she seems super hungry come 5pm. i tried to increase her morning meal but she doesn't even finish it. she is 6 1/2 months old.

also, i read in the bulldog bible that by 6 months, bulldogs should already be on adult food instead of puppy food. any feedback, comments on this? thanks much!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yep, I transitioned my pack by 5 months of age, because of the fast growing bones. A good grain free food, if you and your pup are more comfortable yet with three meals a day it's ok, there are no rules to this set in stone. I give my pack 1 meal a day because of my schedule, I would love to give them two, but who feels like eating at 3:30 am? so it's 4 pm every day for us . I feed Fromm Pork and Peas

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake was always on an all stage food..from 11 weeks on. I cut out the midday at 6 months by slowly increasing am and pm and taking away from midday. When he was getting all his kibble at am and pm feedings..I gave him a midday treat. But that's just because I was lucky enough to be home...he still expects a cookie if I'm home! He totally knows its noon! :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Are you trying to cut out lunch because you think she's old enough or just what you've been told to do? If you see that she's now super hungry maybe you should hold off a little longer. Is she becoming a overweight at all?

OP
samnie

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
i don't think she's overweight at all. i just thought it's what you do when they get to be 6 months as it is good for their stomach and metabolism - no?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
i don't think she's overweight at all. i just thought it's what you do when they get to be 6 months as it is good for their stomach and metabolism - no?

It is the right time to do it. You said she didn't finish her morning but is extra hungry at evening feeding? Then leave morning the same for awhile and increase evening..eventually you can balance them out. But just know...Bully's do a great job of "starving"!!!! You can also give her frozen green beans ..it's a great filler with no fat. But my Jake hates them..most here love them!

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
how did you successfully do this? i have started about a month ago to decrease her lunch meal - we are down to 1/4 cup now, but she seems super hungry come 5pm. i tried to increase her morning meal but she doesn't even finish it. she is 6 1/2 months old.

also, i read in the bulldog bible that by 6 months, bulldogs should already be on adult food instead of puppy food. any feedback, comments on this? thanks much!!

1/4 cup a day?

I feed my 9 mth old 1 cup in morning 6 am, and 2 cups around 8 pm. He is 9mth old and weighs 50lbs. Vet says he is perfctly fine and weight is good.n

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would do what jakeisgreat said. leave the morning meal and just add what they dont eat to the evening meal. you can give a treat mid day perhaps like she does. sarah does a great imitation of starving to. i have learned to know the difference of if she is fooling me or if she truly is hungry.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I started weaning Bogey off his noon meal at 7 months old. I cut back on the kibble and added some plain yogurt. As I decreased the kibble, I added a little banana. Now at " lunchtime" he just gets about 1/3 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 banana. He loves it and it holds him over til dinner.

OP
samnie

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
1/4 cup a day?

I feed my 9 mth old 1 cup in morning 6 am, and 2 cups around 8 pm. He is 9mth old and weighs 50lbs. Vet says he is perfctly fine and weight is good.n

oh, 1/4 cup for her lunch. i give her 1 1/4 cup in the AM & 1 1/3 cup in the PM. im increasing the PM meals though since she really seems hungry when i pick her up from the sitter's home. she's only 6 1/2 months and weighs 36 lbs. her vet wants me to limit her to 2 cups a day but i think that's ridiculous!!

OP
samnie

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
It is the right time to do it. You said she didn't finish her morning but is extra hungry at evening feeding? Then leave morning the same for awhile and increase evening..eventually you can balance them out. But just know...Bully's do a great job of "starving"!!!! You can also give her frozen green beans ..it's a great filler with no fat. But my Jake hates them..most here love them!

😂 when i add veggies (green beans & carrots) to her food, she picks them out!! 😂😂

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
oh, 1/4 cup for her lunch. i give her 1 1/4 cup in the AM & 1 1/3 cup in the PM. im increasing the PM meals though since she really seems hungry when i pick her up from the sitter's home. she's only 6 1/2 months and weighs 36 lbs. her vet wants me to limit her to 2 cups a day but i think that's ridiculous!!

Jake went to 2 cups a day at 6 months...but only because if I gave him even 1/4 cup more..his :poo: got soft! He is STILL like that!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Since last month, Walley-Bubba now gets 2 cups per day during the week and 3 cups per day on weekends.
Fromm Pork and Peas. Dry. No salmon oil. No vitamins. Perfect stool since switch to Fromm.
He's 8 months old, weighs 57 lbs, no fat and is still gaining.
God he's strong!

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Wow! This makes me feel like I'm over feeding my bullies. We give them each 1.75 cups for breakfast (6am) and 1.75 cups for dinner (4pm). They are approaching 9 months old and are only about 37 pounds. Teh vet says they are looking good. Maybe the quality of food i give them is less so they need more to get the nuitrients? I feed them Diamond Naturals large breed puppy. I have one bag left and them I was going to swap them to an "adult" food, but haven't decided which one to go with. Any suggestions?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.