Help Needed! Maggie is finally here...poop issues due to food?

Maggiesmom

Jun 27, 2013
Washingtonville, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
DSC_0125.jpgDSC_0132.jpgDSC_0139.jpgDSC_0137.jpgWe finally have Miss Maggie!! I am so sorry for not updating everyone. She is the greatest thing ever...its like I have a newborn baby all over aDSC_0133.jpggain. I feel like I'm spending every minute of my day with Maggie and I am loving it!! Who would of thought I would enjoy getting up at 5:30am and still have a smile on my face!! She is a handful, we soon learned that when she wines she has to go out immediately!! We have only had 2 accident inside which is better than I thought. She has been doing AWESOME. We got her a new bed and crate and she has not had any accidents in it thus far, she makes it through the night without crying:) She follows me everywhere and when she cant find me she cries for me till she finds me. Right now our biggest issues are biting and pooping...we are being persistent, telling her NO and giving her her own toys...she has gotten a bit better with me but is worse with my 5yr old son and husband. Maybe you can help me out with our poop issue...she was on Purina and we bought her Fromm Puppy food, we have been transitioning her food out less and less each day and adding a teaspoon of yogurt which she never had before, since she arrived she has had very loose poop. Is this normal for a puppy of 8 weeks? Am I doing to much to soon? We would have done the food transition slower but the breeder only gave us enough food for about 5 days. I am just unsure if this is normal for a puppy to have loose poop or is it the nerves and food transition. As a typical mom, I worry about everything and want her to be ok....any suggestion? We have our first vet visit on Monday...if I have to go buy more Purina to transition slower I will. Whatever it takes...she seems to feel okay but when we go out after meals she poops about 2-3 times...:ashamed:

Last edited:

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
First of all, congratulations on adding Maggie to your family she is beautiful. We just recently added, Legend, our bully puppy this past Thursday. He also has had loose stool and we are still transitioning foods. I talked with the breeder and she told me to give him a Pepto Bismol tablet. She didn't say how often so I've been giving him one everyday. Finally today, his stool is more firmer now. Everything you said your Maggie does is the same for Legend. Only difference is I have 3 other dogs, one is a 8 yr old bully the other is a Basset and a Dachshund and they want nothing to do with him. I hope that changes because he is so daggone sweet. Good luck with your little Maggie.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ahhhh.... puppy poop! Bogey is 8 months old and I had a terrible time with him the first 4 months of having him! We got him at 8 weeks and I transitioned right away from Eukanuba (breeders brand) to Fromms puppy. His stools were never solid, he was pooping 8-10 times a day, and as the day wore on, his poop got softer. We had him tested 4 times for worms!(all negative). I was convinced it was the food. Some thought I transitioned too quickly( I was literally increasing a tablespoon at a time) and some thought that frequent softserve stool was par for the course and I should stick it out. My inner sense told me differently. On occasion, his stool was actually very loose, diarrhea. My vet would give him Flagyl and have me put him on a bland diet (boiled rice and hamburger) until the stools firmed. I noticed that when I did this, his stools firmed up immediately and were much less frequent. So, I thought the puppy fromms was too rich, and tried Beef Fritatta. Nope, soft serve at best, still at least 7 poops a day. Next try- Pure Vita Bison- stools were much less frequent, but still soft serve and looser as the day went on. All of these were grain free. I cut out all treats for a week, and it did not change anything. Back to boiled rice and hamburger- perfect stools. So, I have a great pet store whose owner was working with me on the food. He agreed that there is something in the dog foods that was not agreeing with Bogey's stomach. He did a thourough search of all the dog foods I tried and came up with one common denominator- sweet potatoes. It is not a normally "allergic" food, but we were willing to try a dog food without it- so onto Earthborn Hollistic Meadowfeast. Instead of sweet potatoes, tapioca is the filler. From Day one, his stools were firm, and he goes only 2-3 times a day now, and they are MUCH smaller! So, that is where we are at. Just remember when you change, do it slowly. My 3 different dog foods were done over a 4 month period. good luck!
And PS: your baby is just soooooo adorabull!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Think you have gotten some great advice as far as foods. Just want to add that canned pumpkin is good for helping firm them up. A spoonful a day of pure pumpkin (not pie filling) might help some and it is very good for them as well.

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Think you have gotten some great advice as far as foods. Just want to add that canned pumpkin is good for helping firm them up. A spoonful a day of pure pumpkin (not pie filling) might help some and it is very good for them as well.

The pumkin helped Pickle. She still gets a teaspoon in her breakfast along with the yogurt, she's 7 months.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Pure Canned Pumpkin 1 tbs a day. (not the pie mix) the plain pure pumpkin

- - - Updated - - -

oh and the baby is beyond cute, congrats mama

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww! Congrats to you! She is simply perfect!

I would stick with Fromm and add the pure pumpkin. It will take a week or so for her to truly settle in. How great she is doing so far! I got up at 2am for a month with Jake!

Keep those pictures coming! :)

Ohhh and I would hold off on the yogurt for awhile..sometimes dairy can loosen the :poo:

OP
Maggiesmom

Maggiesmom

Jun 27, 2013
Washingtonville, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thank you all for your help...it is good to know we always have someone to turn to. We tried the pumpkin today and she seems to have gotten a bit better. THANKS AGAIN!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw your baby is cute for sure. i would do as you are doing and add the pumpkin and lay off the yogurt as it can give loose stools as has been stated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Maggie is adorable... Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Your baby is adorable! The canned pumpkin really helped with Mayhem during our food transition to Fromm. He loves the pumpkin, so I still give him a bit every morning :-)

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
No comment to add about the food...but just wanted to say how perfect little Maggie is! She is so adora-bull!

OP
Maggiesmom

Maggiesmom

Jun 27, 2013
Washingtonville, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Well not so great...Maggie has been on 1/2 cup of Fromm Puppy twice a day with a teaspoon of pumpkin with each meal and her poop has gotten worse, for a while it was a bit better but now we are worse than where we started. To top that off we have seen traces of blood in her stool and a drop on her behind after pooping. I spoke to vet via the emergency service today and we are heading back tomorrow. I did start her on a bland diet of 1/4 rice and 1/4 ground boiled beef tonight to help give her some relief. She is not vomiting and is acting like her normal self. I'm not sure if all this is due to stress, as Maggie had a tick infestation a few days ago and we had to take her to the vet to remove over 25 ticks from her body. She must have walked into a nest of eggs or babies as we have never had an issue with ticks here. Maggie is now on Activyl for fleas and Ticks and we have not seen any since. At just 8 weeks old she has had her challenges :( I just want her to feel better. Any advise would be much appreciated. THANKS

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.