General Question FOOD AMOUNT

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
i starting feeding Rebel 2 cups twice a day of the blue wilderness grain free, can someone please tell me if im reading the food chart right he is a little over 22 weeks and he weighs about 41 lbs and im pretty sure he will be around 60lbs or over when hes full grown

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I think the food charts on the bags are just a general idea and I don't follow them to the letter. I have just learned over time by observation and trial and error. I think I am probably feeding a bit more than the food chart on the bag suggests. But once again I am going on what my dog seems to need and want. Personally I would rather overfeed by a handful of kibble than underfeed especially when they are young and still growing. Ace is a little over a 8 months and I now feed twice a day. Once in the morning and then again in the evening. Ace seems to want/need more during the evenings so I feed accordingly. I don't measure it by the cup I measure it by the amount in his bowl.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I always go by observation, and with pups I like to feed plenty while they are growing. I also use the poop method. If their poop is a little soft cut back on the food just a little and if it's hard give a little more until you find the happy medium. Once he gets around one year of age you can cut back a little so he will not get over weight. A bully should have a little waist, if they don't then they are overweight and that will shorten their life span. Once he gets around 7 months of age, you can change him to adult food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
david has told you right. most people do not go by bag directions but by their dog. so if your dog is not gaining weight and the :poo: is good then keep feeding that till they are a bit older then you can cut back.

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
well we tried it for a few days and it made his poop loose so we switched him back

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2002-2013), Frank 2 years old
Hello all! my 12 weeks puppy is eating 1 cup per meal 3 times a day and wieghts 16 lbs right now but his stool is little bit on the soft side, should I cut back? Also I am feeding him 1 tablespoon yogurt in the morning and 1 tablespoon cottage cheese in the afternoon every day, 1 hard boiled egg 2 times a week...is that too much?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the amount of food you are feeding is good, and the yogurt is fine as well, if his stools are a bit on the soft side, it may be from the cottage cheese, because cottage cheese is dairy, and too much dairy can cause upset stomachs or diarrhea, yogurt is a different kind of dairy, so it doesn't cause the same problems, and is actually beneficial to the stomach because of the probiotics. Also the hard boiled eggs are fine as well.

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]! I will limit the cottage cheese to twice a week then. Today I gave him the hard boiled egg with his kibbles for lunch and he vomited 4 hours later. Will be observing what it is...maybe the food or the egg...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, again. Which food are you feeding Frank? Maybe it's not even the food or the egg, because it was 4 hours later after he ate. Is there any chance he could have eaten something he shouldn't have? The reason I'm asking is because my male Bulldozer finds and eats anything that isn't nailed down, outside he eats rocks, sticks, pinecones, old gum he finds, paper, wrappers, these things I can take out of his mouth while were walking because he's on the leash, and I can see what he grabs, but inside the house is another matter he finds stuff and I don't even know he's eaten it until days or weeks later, he has eaten two sweat socks, and a dish cloth, he's always been able to pass these items out so far, thank goodness, but I know the signs, when he has swallowed something, he either throws up or gets the diarrhea, first, but he will always eat and drink and play normal all week, then on the day he passes the item, he will be more quiet and tend to sleep more, and then within a couple of hours he will either throw up the item or poop it out. Try eliminating the egg for a week or two, and see if it makes a difference, but also just keep an eye on him, and check his poop when he goes to see if any surprises come out. I hope you find the cause of his tummy troubles. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello all! my 12 weeks puppy is eating 1 cup per meal 3 times a day and wieghts 16 lbs right now but his stool is little bit on the soft side, should I cut back? Also I am feeding him 1 tablespoon yogurt in the morning and 1 tablespoon cottage cheese in the afternoon every day, 1 hard boiled egg 2 times a week...is that too much?

Try cutting his food back a little bit. What brand are you feeding? If its a high quality food he may be getting more than he needs. I would also just stick with the kibble only for a few days , then after his poo hardens up you can add one thing at a time to see what the culprit may be. Good luck, keep us posted. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], it could had been something he ate in the house, maybe paper towel or something..you're right, he eats anything his mouth touches, I'll have to be more careful!
@deserskybulldogs, he is eating TOTW puppy dry food Pacific stream, I will also follow your advise. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok, @Vikinggirl, it could had been something he ate in the house, maybe paper towel or something..you're right, he eats anything his mouth touches, I'll have to be more careful!
@deserskybulldogs, he is eating TOTW puppy dry food Pacific stream, I will also follow your advise. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
i agree with lisa stop everything but the kibble and cut back a bit and then start adding things back in very slowly. with bullies the tiniest thing can upset things such as supplements even in the form of pills and such like fish oil or even a heartworm pill.

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], Frank is doing great, the whole weekend was fine, we took him to the mountains ( we live in a concrete city, no green areas around) and he was so happy and playful, thanks God, it might have been that he ate something that made him vomit

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.