All stages kibble or back to puppy?

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Sorry for the long post guys, here it goes. I had to switch Tuckerā€™s food as soon as he came home at 8 weeks (breeder had him on Royal Canine) and I didnā€™t have much time to research dog foods. I ended up switching him to an ā€œall stagesā€ Merrick grain free wild duck, I thought this was the best option at the time because all the puppy foods I found had chicken and grain in it. I compared labels and the fat, protein, calories etc all seemed to be close to the puppy food. Anyhow, he is 17 weeks now and doing well on it, but I am reading a lot of threads recommending puppy food until at least 6mo. In addition to the kibble I give him egg, banana, strawberries, broccoli, carrots, yogurt, salmon oil, coconut oil and olive oil randomly throughout each week.

So my big question is, would it be beneficial to switch him back to a puppy food at this stage?
Will using the current food still allow for proper even growth? (he seems to be getting tall and not wide)
Is there anything else I should supplement with?
Would adding some fresh meat to his diet do any harm?

:2thumbs: thanks guys!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, puppy food is better for a puppy until they are 6 or 7 months old, because it has more calories, fat and vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of puppies. Fromms has a puppy gold formula, and they are also an all stages food which means it can be used for a puppy right into adult. They have 4 formulas and they can be used without having to transition between the different flavours.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:)

Well..I can only speak for our experience. My vet specializes in Bully's. And..she is one of the vets who really knows nutrition. She is pretty adamant about Bully's being on a good All Stage Food from a pretty young age. Her theory is..Puppy food encourages quick growth and has lots of calories to sustain this growth. Bully's grow in a much different arc. Instead of reaching maturity in a year or 18 months, like most breeds...Bully's take 2 and into their 3rd year to finalize their growth. If their developing bones carry a lot of extra weight and pressure it often leads to hip,bone and tendon problems. We needed to get Jake off the puppy Iams he came home on at 8 weeks. We researched and started a very slw transition to a great All Stage Food. Jake did great on it. It has all the vitamins and minerals needed but not all the calories. He has grown into a healthy Bully..gained weight all along and it was right for us. His entire litter go to the same vet and all followed the same path. Their weight varies but all are strong and healthy. I understand totally why most go with Puppy food..and I'm sure your Tucker will do fine either way!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well there are alot of theories to this but i dunno if switching back at this point would do any good if they are ok with the food but im sure some puppy experts will be along soon.

Most Reactions