General Question Immunity supplements

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I'm thinking of starting Lupe (5yrs old) on an immunity supplement. This is coming up for a few reasons. She's healthy, but her fur sib just had a splenectomy b/c of a large tumor (Miles is a Boston Terrier, 11 yrs). Waiting for the biopsy results. I understand the cancer diet etc, and am prepared to start Miles on that. Vet also suggested a product w/ mushroom compounds to prevent hemangioma/ hemangiosarcoma reoccurrence. I'm considering giving them to Lupe too just because...well, why not?

So, my question: does anyone use immunity supplements proactively as part of a regular diet in a non-cancer dog? In particular, these products with mushroom compounds? It just seems like cancer is really common in older dogs and...ugh:*(. I guess the larger issue is just plain ole cancer prevention tricks for dogs...maybe a different thread, different day.

We feed both dogs Dogswell Salmon and Chick Pea mixed with Happy Hips. I add Missing Link Plus, and various "treats" on top of the kibble depending on the day--organic yogurt, blueberries, fresh chicken. We add ACV to their water daily.

Thanks for any thoughts! I shall bribe your feedback with a picture of my babies:
image.jpgimage.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with supplements or cancer.... but I will tag some members who might be able to help.

Prayers for a cancer free biopsy! :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The only thing we give ours is HardyPet Complete. Not sure how well it works against cancer, but it can't hurt.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
First, can I applaud your vet for using an unconventional, holistic approach to treatment? I don't share his faith in mushroom compounds but good for him for thinking out of the box! The reason I don't share that faith is because the studies are inconclusive so far and only a few cancers even show a slight decline in progression. More research needs to be done (and IS being done) on shiitake compounds.

I believe in an all natural, unprocessed approach. Coconut oil is probably one of the best cancer fighting supplements you can buy. You want to give 1 tsp per 10 pounds of body weight, broken up into 2 doses daily. Apples WITH the skin on are excellent snacks for cancer prone dogs (just make sure the seeds are removed... seeds are toxic). I am also a HUGE proponent of coQ10 and vitamin C supplements. All my dogs get them with every meal.

Whatever supplements you decide to give him, try to split them into 2 daily doses if possible. The water soluble vitamins don't stay in the body for very long which decreases their benefit. Splitting the dose in 2 guarantees that there is always that extra boost available to the body when needed.

There was an article in whole dog journal from a couple of years back that I was given to read as part of my studies... I dug it out for you. I'm just going to paste what it says here, it's easier then me trying to paraphrase it

Vegetables are controversial ingredients because they’re hard for dogs to digest. But a simple lactofermentation process not only improves the digestibility and assimilation of vegetables, it increases their vitamin content and makes them a valuable source of beneficial bacteria. In fact, the treated vegetables are both a prebiotic (food that feeds beneficial bacteria) and probiotic (food that contains beneficial bacteria). In Europe, lactofermented vegetables are the key ingredient in a popular cancer treatment.
To make lactofermented vegetables (see “It’s All in How You Make It,” March 2001), simply grate, shred, or puree carrots and other vegetables, add 1½ teaspoons unrefined sea salt per quart (4 cups) of vegetables, add the contents of a probiotic supplement such as acidophilus, and press everything in a bowl or glass jar until juice covers the vegetables. (The task is made considerably easier with a Japanese salad press; see “Cancer Prevention Resources” for purchasing information.)
Close the jar tightly or, if using a bowl, cover vegetables with a plate weighted by a jar filled with water. Let stand at room tem-perature until the vegetables give off a vinegar-like fragrance; this will usually take two to three days, depending on their con-sistency and room temperature. Refrigerate. Use to replace vegetables in any home-prepared recipe, or add 1 tablespoon to ¼ cup lactofermented vegetables to each meal.

I only wish I'd known about this lactofermented process when Abby was still alive. I've been preparing my dogs veggies this way since I found the article. Some cancer fighting vegetables that you can try are broccoli, spinach and cauliflower.

OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Twice;355593. I believe in an all natural said:
This is easy to do! I always have virgin coconut oil around (inexpensive at Trader Joe's). I have also read good things about turmeric/curcumin. Thanks for the tips: i have more reading and researching to do for sure, which I kind of enjoy.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
This is easy to do! I always have virgin coconut oil around (inexpensive at Trader Joe's). I have also read good things about turmeric/curcumin. Thanks for the tips: i have more reading and researching to do for sure, which I kind of enjoy.

turmeric is also a great anti inflammatory for arthritis or other joint injuries. Good Stuff!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Good news! Our Boston's biopsy result was benign. It a rare splenatic mass/congestion...but they removed the whole organ, so they consider her "cured." And waiting over the past few days, I've done more research on food and supplement changes I can implement to keep both my dogs' immune systems strong and ready to fight off future tumor growth. Very relieved. I couldn't sleep if I didn't try as much as possible to prevent suffering, and even though it feels like I've done the best so far, there is always more. Cancer sucks.

This is great! THANK YOU, kazzy220:

I can't really add to Twice's excellent advice except to post a link to a thread that I made when I found out that Maggie had cancer. I was willing to do anything to save my baby girl so I researched all the best foods that would boost the immune system and aid against the fight against cancer. Then put them all together!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?15893-Maggie-s-new-food-supplement

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Good news! Our Boston's biopsy result was benign. It a rare splenatic mass/congestion...but they removed the whole organ, so they consider her "cured." And waiting over the past few days, I've done more research on food and supplement changes I can implement to keep both my dogs' immune systems strong and ready to fight off future tumor growth. Very relieved. I couldn't sleep if I didn't try as much as possible to prevent suffering, and even though it feels like I've done the best so far, there is always more. Cancer sucks.

This is great! THANK YOU, kazzy220:

this is the best news EVER ... I'm so happy for you!!! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.