New here and new puppy on the way

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I know its probably been covered a thousand times but I'll be gpicking up my brand new bulldog pup in a week or so and like the rest of you I just want whats best for the little guy. I've done tons of research and it seems like Fromm is one of the better choices as far as food goes, granted i know it depends on the dog since all are different.I guess i'm just looking for any extra advice on why type of Fromm food specifically or just any other food brands in general i should maybe try. Also i know this isn't food/nutrition related but any other advice on types of toys/leashes/bedding etc. anything really that seem to work better for bulldog since they are a special breed and seem to be allergic to almost everything lol, Thank you

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya:

Welcome to the family and the millions of questions we all have! You are in the best place to get ready! You will want to do a slow transition from what food the breeder has him on to whatever new food you choose. Many here use Fromm Puppy and I will tag a couple to help. @Davidh.. @desertskybulldogs

As far as toys..we have a wide variety..but Nylabones and Kong toys are a good place to start. I could never have anything stuffed because my Jake eats everything! They are real goats and get themselves into trouble by eating everything. There is an article on the home page about 35 things to have when you bring him home..I will go get the link..

Others will chime in..just takea deep breath..have fun and love him every second. It's a ride like no other! :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...You-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag until about 7 months of age, then switch them to FROMM 4 Star foods. Nylabones and Kongs are great chew toys. We don't give ours stuffed toys because they don't last long. Just don't give your baby rawhides, pig ears, or bully sticks, as they are can be deadly. Here is a letter from your pup to read.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Well thank you both for the advice,very helpful. Also just wondering at least from reading stories on here it seems like more times than none the bulldogs are allergic to chicken or it just doesn't agree with them,should i avoid chicken or just wait and see how the little guy does with it since all dogs are different?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. I know you must be excited about your baby coming home soon as me and my family are in the same boat. The advice given above me is great and the article on the various foods is awesome. Our baby is currently on Fromm's Puppy Gold in the pink bag like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] above and we will be switching her to Fromm's 4-star line like our ridgeback when she is old enough but I have found out from this site that all bullies are different and you may have some trial and error before finding the right food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well thank you both for the advice,very helpful. Also just wondering at least from reading stories on here it seems like more times than none the bulldogs are allergic to chicken or it just doesn't agree with them,should i avoid chicken or just wait and see how the little guy does with it since all dogs are different?

Actually many bulldogs have no problems with chicken, but you will find on here many do. This is because many who find us in a search engine are having allergy issues. If your bully has skin issues this is one if the first proteins to omit from the diet. Out of my 8 bulldogs only one is highly sensitive to chicken, but only the chicken that is processed into kibble. I can give them real chicken without any problems.

I also feed Fromm puppy formula. :).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
fromm puppy is an excellent place to start. lots here use crates for their puppy to sleep in and when they are gone till they get older. they can eat everything so beware of that. good luck

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Well I found a local place that actually carries fromm's product,just wondering if it matter if I get the pink bag or the blue which is for large breed dogs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I found a local place that actually carries fromm's product,just wondering if it matter if I get the pink bag or the blue which is for large breed dogs?

I would go with the pink bag for bulldogs...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
If your puppy actually chews his food rather than inhaling it, the large kibble is good for their teeth. I would start out with the small kibble to avoid choking.

Welcome and congratulations!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Owen, Very nice to meet you, and wonderful seeing your interested in your pippys health and well being. On the toys part, I found the Kong line of toys hold up the best, because of their shark teeth, and chewing sensations, Nylabone is also a great maker of toys, and I have a few for my boys. On the leashes etc… I went with a Harness, for both of my young men, The collar being pulled against their throat in walking them wasn't suffice, as they already have a tough enough time breathing, The Harness offered better support, and they don't seem to mind it. It also serves a dual purpose, as I hook the Harness to the car safety restraint, A collar cannot be used, due to safety, and these guys love to ride in cars…. I'll enclose two more threads, The one [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] was talking about, which is the 35 items Must Haves for your Bully, and also I'll enclose our food ratings chart, which is a match to other food charts, 6*'s being the best in nutrients and vitamins, I personally use Blue Buffalo, Salmon and Potato, Grain free formula, Because I enquired on the food I was using before, which was Blue Buffalo Sensitive formula, Turkey and Potato, which was a lot lower in protein. The reason I use Blue Buffalo, is I have several suppliers local to me, Plus internet distribution, which is important in the case anything would happen, I have a second, third & fourth distributors, Finding that Fromm's was Excellent, but I only found I could get it online…. I'm pretty conservative in needing options just in case theirs a problem, I don't have to worry about a last minute food change, because of my fault and having to deal with upset tummys etc…. This is just my personal opinion and reasoning, Otherwise I'd dang sure be using Fromm's. Here's the other two links, and please enjoy the wealth of information offered on the site, and the generosity of the members anxiously awaiting to meet you, interact with your threads and share their knowledge as well as experiences….:yes:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ou-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog&

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks for all the advice but I guess I was meant to ask if the fromm's puppy food for LARGE breed of dogs is going to be bad for him

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for all the advice but I guess I was meant to ask if the fromm's puppy food for LARGE breed of dogs is going to be bad for him

Even though English bulldogs get very heavy in size they should not be considered a large breed due to their growth rate.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
is it bad to feed them large breed like say if I later on down the rode i accidentally buy a bag of it?, i compared the ingredients/nutrients and they only difference i saw was calories and a few other small things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.