new puppy - first time parents!

br6811

Jun 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
we just brought home out first bulldog puppy. he is 11 weeks old and the breeder is feeding him purina pro plan chicken - 1 cup 3 times per day. he doesn't seem to be having any allergy problems that I can tell, and his poops look normal! should I still think about switching him to a better food? something like fromm? or should I not change it if he seems to be fine on it at this point?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My wife had our maltese on purina pro plan for about two years. When I brought home Ace the breeder fed Canidae and so I did as well but Ace liked the purina pro plan and would steal it from the maltese bowl. So I was feeding about half and half. The maltese always had tear staining and they are notorious for it and Ace began to get staining too. I tried several things to rid the staining but what worked was the change in food. We quit feeding either dog the purina and now feed Whole Earth Farms and Fromm. No more tear staining in either dog. Regardless of that just comparing the ingredients between purina pro plan and Whole Earth Farms and Fromm and its unmistakable to me that they are superior foods to the purina. The reason I feed both WEF's and Fromm is that on just the Fromm Ace was having a little more difficulty pooping, when I introduced the WEF's in the mix, the bowel movements improved alot. Actually of the two, Whole Earth Farms and Fromms I prefer the whole earth farms. Larger kibble size for one and better bowl movements. So now I'm basically feeding Whole Earth Farms adult.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our bully pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I would definetely switch him to a better quality food like Fromms. You can check the dog food ratings forum on this site to view the better quality foods. You want to choose a 5 to 6 star dog food, the Purina brand is rated only a one star food , so is not a good food at all. When I first brought my two guys home at 8 weeks old, the breeder was feeding them Royal Canin and when I read the ingredients, I wasn't very happy with the corn, grains and fillers that were in this food. As it turned out my female Blossom has sensitivity or allergies to chicken, salmon, and corn, so this was also another reason the Royal Canin wasn't a good brand for her. I started researching dog foods, and this is how I actually found the EBN site, and found the dog food ratings. We switched our two guys to the Fromms Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old, and they are both doing great on this food. A lot of bullies have problems with chicken, and sometimes it doesn't come out until they are older. Since Gus is only 11 months old and still a puppy, you want to choose a high quality puppy food. Fromms has a puppy formula. You want to keep your puppy on puppy food until he's about 6 or 7 months as they need the extra calories and vitamins that puppy food provides for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. If you decide to switch, you want to do a slow transition, so as not to upset his tummy. Good luck.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
we just brought home out first bulldog puppy. he is 11 weeks old and the breeder is feeding him purina pro plan chicken - 1 cup 3 times per day. he doesn't seem to be having any allergy problems that I can tell, and his poops look normal! should I still think about switching him to a better food? something like fromm? or should I not change it if he seems to be fine on it at this point?

']
:welcome3: Welcome to EBN, br6811 & Gus, this site provides a wealth of information. Some concerns I have is the nutrient value of the Purina foods, and the food being classified as Junk Food. In laymen's terms, you wouldn't feed Gus McDonalds everyday being his parent, You would be thinking about a nutritious diet for your child, with all the food groups. Food companies are distinctly different, In that they sell you junk food that your pet will eat, and eat well, but get no nutrients out of, and those that do the research, and sell you food that matches all the food groups for your pets, and withholds things such as Grain which is a filler item, an causes allergy problems to some bullies. Now you mentioned Fromm's, and Honestly I'm a big fan of Fromm's, my hats off to them for the research and food they provide, However I won't purchase it for one reason, That reason is, I have to order it online, Thats a big deal for me, My schedule, and my days fly by so fast, that I keep everything on my iPhone in my calendar section with an iPhone reminder app to help me keep on top of things…. In short, if for any reason I ran short, or had a contaminated bag etc, I'd have to wait for another order. The food I feed Rocky and Rambo is Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon and Potatoes, Grain Free. This food is also rated a 6 * food in our food ratings page, which is a duplicate of many other non biased food comparison pages….. Doesn't get any better than this unless your home feeding. Being i'm a bachelor, I barely have time to feed myself, but take time with my boys to make sure they eat right. The reason I went with Blue Buffalo, is it's available to me through at least 4 locations to me in a 5 mile radius, If for any reason something happened, I could go to another place and make the purchase, almost guaranteeing me, unless they have a recall, My boys food is available to me. Another thing you may want to read up on, Is a lot of the Purina Dog food is made in China, and shipped over here, There's been several recalls on the food, and even though Rocky was on it when I first got him, He was switched rather immediately to a better food. I will enclose a link for the food rating page on this forum, Please take a look at it, see where your food stacks up, and then get a look at whats better, Also I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] which is excellent with these questions, and everything I've picked up on, has been from her and her articles, She the Food expert around here…… Enjoyed reading your post, and look foreword to seeing you around, and one last thing, [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] was dead on the money in his advice to you, and the tear stains he spoke of is another form of allergies.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
You have already received some great advice from the others, so I just wanted to say Congratulations and :smileywelcome: to EBN! Can't wait to see pics!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.