Help Needed! Thinking about a switch

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! So Winston is currently on NVI limited ingredient lamb. He does ok on this food but recently he has been very red and having more yeast. I am thinking about switching him to Fromm Pork & Peas. So here is my question. We have tried many different proteins with Winston on the NVI and EVERYTIME we have tried to switch within a week he got really yeasty so we always put him back on the lamb. It can't be possible that he is allergic to every protein right? Could it be the brand? Or is this his bodies reaction to the switch? Other question I have is how long does it usually take before you would see a difference? I just want him to be as healthy as he can be and I want to try to fight this yeast as much as possible esp with his recent tail issues. I am at a loss, as I said we have tried every flavor of NVI, we also tried home cooking for a while. I recently got him the NVI limited ingredient rabbit because he had never tried that protein and same thing....HELP!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
We found out Remi was allergic to beef, chicken, and salmon. It makes him super itchy and he has soft stools with some. He is actually on the NVI Limited Diet Lamb as well - and we consider it a success. He recently got an ear infection after 7 months + on the lamb. It could be yeast. Long story short, it's the nature of the beast. In this case, bulldogs.

From my personal experience, Remi gets runny noses at parks, etc, so no matter what food we give him, he'll always have allergies to the environment. The vet has recommended benedryl, which takes care of some of his pink complexion and he's always been very pink and with lots of tear stains. It won't hurt to try a different brand, possibly pork if that has never been tried before. If it's still the same thing, you know you have an environmental issue and not a protein issue. (OR at the very least, you have to pick a protein that works the best)

I would recommend bathing your dog once a week in a muttnose product - like kava kava.

Good luck!!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much! Yeah that has basically been our battle. Winston has red paws on the lamb, but the lamb is the best hes been on so far and he has been on it for 1 year and 1/2 now. I also get nervous to switch him to a diff brand becuase he's on a limited ingredient so then I am battling a whole realm of things! I know he for sure has environmental because this is always his worst time of year! He is on benedryl twice a day to help with that. Maybe it's just this crazy weather in New England that is just making his seasonal allergies CRAZY! He gets a bath once a week in the medicated shampoo for yeast which has helped alot!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba was originally on EVO Turkey and chicken until P&G recalled it.
So we were forced to switch to Natures Variety Instinct Chicken Meal.
But WB seems to have developed a worsening tear stain problem that he never had before.
So we decided to try the Fromm Pork and Peas.
Ordered the large 26 lb bag from Petflow for a $65.99 total with free delivery.
We sure hope WB likes it!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
But WB seems to have developed a worsening tear stain problem that he never had before.

Thanks for the info!! I hope WB loves his new food!!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)

Many bullies are allergic to chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Many bullies are allergic to chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you, and yes, WB may well have become more allergic to the chicken as he has grown up from 8 weeks to 8 months. So hoping the Fromm Pork and Peas will solve that. Thanks again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, and yes, WB may well have become more allergic to the chicken as he has grown up from 8 weeks to 8 months. So hoping the Fromm Pork and Peas will solve that. Thanks again.

^^^ Pork and Peas has been the best food I put my girl on in the 7.5 yrs. I've had her. She was on raw for about two yrs and still Fromm P/P is her best results. Banks is highly allergic to chicken and sensitive to salmon and most of her allergies did not show up till she after she was 1 yr old.
[MENTION=3652]Lauren31287[/MENTION] - it could be an ingredient other than the protein... meal, grain, starch. Banks has yeast issues to so I needed to find chicken/salmon and white potato free food after we stopped the raw. I went with Fromm Beef, it has whte potato but it is like the 10th ingredient, Banks had good results, not awesome, but real good. Then I swtiched her to the Pork/Peas.... wow, just fantastic. She still has some yeast here and there due to all her seansonal allergies, but the last two months I can not get over how great she looks.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
^^^ Pork and Peas has been the best food I put my girl on in the 7.5 yrs. I've had her. She was on raw for about two yrs and still Fromm P/P is her best results. Banks is highly allergic to chicken and sensitive to salmon and most of her allergies did not show up till she after she was 1 yr old.
@Lauren31287 - it could be an ingredient other than the protein... meal, grain, starch. Banks has yeast issues to so I needed to find chicken/salmon and white potato free food after we stopped the raw. I went with Fromm Beef, it has whte potato but it is like the 10th ingredient, Banks had good results, not awesome, but real good. Then I swtiched her to the Pork/Peas.... wow, just fantastic. She still has some yeast here and there due to all her seansonal allergies, but the last two months I can not get over how great she looks.

Thanks for confirming the timing for allergies to appear. And your actual result with Pork n Peas. Hoping for similar good news.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] .. it takes until they are older for most of their allergies to appear.

I would certainly try moving away from the NVI as it would appear that the one protein source he was getting along with, he no longer is!!!

I like the Fromm too ... but i use the Beef Frittata ... not tried the Pork n Peas, but it's grain free and chicken free too. So I'm sure I will try it eventually!!

As for the difference ... it can take almost 30 days for an old food to be fully out of their system so unless you see an extreme reaction to the Fromm food you will have to plan on trying it for a while to really get an idea if it's going to work or not.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone!!! He definitely has season allergies so I think that is all part of this too. I may just give the pork & peas a shot. I appreciate all of the advice & the help as always!! :D @2BullyMama I am so glad Banks is doing so well with it!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
@Lauren31287 - it could be an ingredient other than the protein... meal, grain, starch. Banks has yeast issues to so I needed to find chicken/salmon and white potato free food after we stopped the raw. I went with Fromm Beef, it has whte potato but it is like the 10th ingredient, Banks had good results, not awesome, but real good. Then I swtiched her to the Pork/Peas.... wow, just fantastic. She still has some yeast here and there due to all her seansonal allergies, but the last two months I can not get over how great she looks.

How much do you feed of this food?? The bag says 3-4 cups?!?! Winston is 60 lbs and not extremely active...he only gets two cups of the limited ingredient food! Do you think sticking with 2 cups will be good for him?? 3-4 just seems like ALOT lol!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How much do you feed of this food?? The bag says 3-4 cups?!?! Winston is 60 lbs and not extremely active...he only gets two cups of the limited ingredient food! Do you think sticking with 2 cups will be good for him?? 3-4 just seems like ALOT lol!

I would stay with the 2 cups. I read that too on the bag but thought if we were to give him that much Buster would become a rolly polly real quick.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I would stay with the 2 cups. I read that too on the bag but thought if we were to give him that much Buster would become a rolly polly real quick.

That's what I am saying. Winston would weight about 100 pounds if I fed him that much!! lol :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.