URGENT!!! Switching fromm food from beef frittata to another protein source???

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
HEY Guys. Its been a While since I post.

So Maximus is 1 year and 2 months now and has been having issues with yeast buildup in his wrinkles. HE gets this red dirt build up and I took him to the vet and the prescribed him meds and alos mentioned to try and switch the protein source that he could be allergic as well. HE has been eating FROMM beef Frittata since he was a pup. I wanted to have him try another version of Fromm but everything seems to have chicken and Max doesnt do well on chicken. HAs anyone Tried the Pork fromm?? has anyone ever switched from Beef Fromm to something else??Can anyone help me on how to properly clean my dogs wrinkles and keep the dry. HE has a white face and its looks bad with the yeast situation.

Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
New FROMM flavor .... Pork and Peas! My girl has had yeast issues and was on Beef Frittata did well, but with the Pork and Peas, she is doing FABULOUS!!!

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] How is her Weight on the Pork.. MAx is in very great shap and his weight is awesome on the beef. Did her weight change while switching to the pork??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama How is her Weight on the Pork.. MAx is in very great shap and his weight is awesome on the beef. Did her weight change while switching to the pork??

She looks great.... no gain or loss. And she has been on it about 8 weeks now. Banks is also white and her face looks great.... my B/F, who never says anyting about her food actully says at least once a week now... 'I can't believe how great she looks and what a difference this food has made.' I almost fell over :D

We had such issues with Banks' folds and tail, but once going to Fromm Beef, it got a lot better and now since going to the Pork/Peas... it is fantastic. This one does not have any white potato which really adds to yeast issues so without that ingredient in the mix, she has practically no yeats problems at this time.

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thanks your situtation sounds very simular to mine. So im gonna try the Switch to Prok and see how Max does. Thanks for your input. how do you clean your girl's Wrinkles and how often?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama Thanks your situtation sounds very simular to mine. So im gonna try the Switch to Prok and see how Max does. Thanks for your input. how do you clean your girl's Wrinkles and how often?

Everyday with unscented babywipes and once/twice a week with Witch Hazel. I also have Medicated Duxco pads, but haven't needed to use them since switching over to the Pork/Peas.

Also remember, with Fromm, you can just switch the flavor, no need to do a slow transition.

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Yes i am aware of not needing to slow transition with fromm. That why I love it. How bad was your yeast problem, and did it go away just from the change in food or did you have to use any meds?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama Yes i am aware of not needing to slow transition with fromm. That why I love it. How bad was your yeast problem, and did it go away just from the change in food or did you have to use any meds?

Her yeast was very bad... ears, folds, under tail, paws. Everything was red/brown and always getting ear infections and we even at a time talked about removing her tail. When she was 3 yrs old I moved to raw feeding, it helped a LOT and she looked fantastic, but she then developed colitis and we had to take her off the raw, which is when we went to Fromm. I first tried the Tunalini... she did horrible on it, yeast and hives (she is allergic to chicken and salmon). I went the beef and she did real well, but the white potato in the Frittata still gave some yeast, but nothing to cause meds to be used -- just daily cleaning.

Once I saw the Pork/Peas had no white potato.. it was a no brainer and I literally (not lying or kidding) danced in the aisle at the pet/feed store. The counter girls were laughing , but when you know you find the right food -- it is very exciting ;)

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thanks for all your help. do you use any of the Fromm treats? if not what treats do you feed your girl? I used the Fromm Parmesean Treats but just realized it has chicken fat in it. Max loves to eat and I occasionally give him pineapple and strawberries. HE loves them both.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama Thanks for all your help. do you use any of the Fromm treats? if not what treats do you feed your girl? I used the Fromm Parmesean Treats but just realized it has chicken fat in it. Max loves to eat and I occasionally give him pineapple and strawberries. HE loves them both.

Treats are any of the following:
frozen green beans
strawberries / blueberries / banana
baby carrots
Frutiables (grain free fruit - made in USA)
frozen peanut butter stuffed Kong
pieces of her kibble

I do not use the Fromm treats because of the chicken... I am sure it is very little, but I prefer to keep chicken out of her diet all together

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I switched my Samson over to Nature's Variety Instinct, salmon formula, to deal with his yeast issues and it helped ALOT! That's always my food suggestion, Samson didn't do well on any of the Fromm's I tried, great food just didn't work for Sam. For wrinkles care, I LOVE neo-predef powder. You have to get a prescription for it and if you decide to ask your vet for it I suggest actually buying it from Dr Foster's & Smith, it was way cheaper from them than from my vet. You have to be careful not to get it in their eye when using it on their face wrinkles, I just cup my hand over Sam's eye and gently pull up to separate the wrinkle so I can get the powder in there. Hope things get better for Maximus!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello! It's been a while since I've posted on this site, but I saw your post on Facebook and just wanted to offer my help. My boy went through the EXACT same issues at almost the same age. He did great on Fromm's beef frittata from 4 mo until just over a year old. Then he started getting yeasty nose rope, runny eyes, etc...so with lots of advice we also switch to Nature Variety, since it is not potato based. He did better for a while, but not as we'll as I thought he needed to be. So I tried home cooking. He loved it, but it didn't love him. Then he started experiencing vomiting and diarrhea. The time had come to get vet involved. He was given meds for his tummy, steroids to calm his allergies and Royal Canin HP (hydrolized protein) to eat. The proteins are supposed to be so small that they don't caused allergic reactions. I was not happy about the RC, as it is not rated as a very high quality food, but figured I had to at least try it. At first all was good (due to steroids) but as the days went by the allergies got worse. His face was raw from the watery eyes, his paws were itchy, he was gaining weight and never seemed satisfied after eating, like he did when he was eating Fromms. ENOUGH...I began looking for new food options and was directed by another Bully mom to Nutrisca Salmon. It is chick pea based so it doesn't cause yeast issues and salmon is less likely to be an allergic protein. He loves it! He just finished his first full bag and has never looked better! His face is no longer wet, his feet doesn't itch, his waist is back, skin and coat are excellent and I'm happy knowing he is getting a 4 star food again. One small catch - I can't find Nutrisca locally, but its readily available through Amazon at a good price, delivered to my door in 2 days, so it's not a real problem. I hope you find this info helpful. Best of luck to you and your pup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello! It's been a while since I've posted on this site, but I saw your post on Facebook and just wanted to offer my help. My boy went through the EXACT same issues at almost the same age. He did great on Fromm's beef frittata from 4 mo until just over a year old. Then he started getting yeasty nose rope, runny eyes, etc...so with lots of advice we also switch to Nature Variety, since it is not potato based. He did better for a while, but not as we'll as I thought he needed to be. So I tried home cooking. He loved it, but it didn't love him. Then he started experiencing vomiting and diarrhea. The time had come to get vet involved. He was given meds for his tummy, steroids to calm his allergies and Royal Canin HP (hydrolized protein) to eat. The proteins are supposed to be so small that they don't caused allergic reactions. I was not happy about the RC, as it is not rated as a very high quality food, but figured I had to at least try it. At first all was good (due to steroids) but as the days went by the allergies got worse. His face was raw from the watery eyes, his paws were itchy, he was gaining weight and never seemed satisfied after eating, like he did when he was eating Fromms. ENOUGH...I began looking for new food options and was directed by another Bully mom to Nutrisca Salmon. It is chick pea based so it doesn't cause yeast issues and salmon is less likely to be an allergic protein. He loves it! He just finished his first full bag and has never looked better! His face is no longer wet, his feet doesn't itch, his waist is back, skin and coat are excellent and I'm happy knowing he is getting a 4 star food again. One small catch - I can't find Nutrisca locally, but its readily available through Amazon at a good price, delivered to my door in 2 days, so it's not a real problem. I hope you find this info helpful. Best of luck to you and your pup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So glad to hear you found a great food! Doesn't petflow carry Nutrisca?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online