Help Needed! Puppy Not Eating

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
I know this has been covered a few times here, but I'm still at a loss...

I have a 14 week old English Bulldog that seems to have lostinterest in her food and Iā€™m just wondering what could be the problem?? Should I bring her to the vet or perhaps waita couple days, maybe try a new dog food, maybe she is just bored with it, is itsour, how can you tell??
Right now she is on RoyalCanin Bulldog Puppy 30, 1-1/4 cups a day 3 times a day, this is what shewas on with the breeder and I thought I would just stick with it since sheseemed to be doing well on it. She onlyjust started this Sunday night and honestly we had a VERY busy weekend and Ifigured she was just tired. It was agradual thing.
She ate dinner on Sunday but not very enthusiastically.
Monday morning she casually ate Ā½ of what she was given,that afternoon she nibbled but didnā€™t seem to care much, then I added water toher dinner meal and only gave her about a cup and she ate it halfdecently.
Tuesday morning she wouldnā€™t even touch it, I added some wetfood to it, and she took a bite of the wet but then ignored the rest. Just before I left for work I scattered someon her kennel floor and she ate it, but again not very enthusiastically whichis out of the norm for her.
I do give her peanut butter once in a while in her kong toy,and she is still enjoying that as much as she did or more then when I firstgave it to her. She also had a smallchunk of cheese yesterday, maybe the size of a quarter and she ate thathappily. I havenā€™t tried anything elsethough.
Her personality is the same, still very playful, she ispooping normal, playing normal, drinking normal. So Iā€™m at a complete loss at what to do?? She is also starting to lose teeth/teething,could that be part of the problem?
Anyways, thank you for sticking with this through to the end;I appreciate all and any help I can get!! If I missed anything or you need more information let me know J.

-Alicia & Roxy

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If she is acting normally except for this..no vomiting or diaherria .. I would try feeding her by hand. This also helps establishes you as her pack leader. But..I have to tell you, Royal Canin is not a very good food. But..you need to do a slow transition when you make a change. Over 10 days to 2 weeks. I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and she can give you some good food choices ..

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well its possible she has lost interest in her food since she is eating other things. perhaps try some beef n brown rice or some chicken and brown rice and see if she eats that. if she does then try her kibble again and see if she eats it. if not then perhaps try another brand as i dont think much of rayal canin myself. overpriced for what it is. just keep an eye on her for other things that are off.

OP
RoxyRoller

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thank you JAKEISGREAT & cowsmom for the replies & advice. I will try hand feeding her dinner tonight and perhaps try cooking up some chicken and rice. When I fed her at lunch today, she was a bit more interested, but was still more interested in chasing the cats and chewing on my toes!!

I've also heard that a lot about Royal Canin (not being all that great) but she seemed to be doing well on it, guess I should get my butt in gear and start feeding something different:ashamed:. I was browsing the forum and saw Fromms looks to be the food of choice, is there a particuler type under this brand name that should be fed?

cowsmom - Should the chicken and/or beef be boiled?

Thanks Again,

Alicia & Roxy

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hey there alicia. if you want someone to see a question you have asked then you just tag them like ive done here to you. [MENTION=9092]RoxyRoller[/MENTION]. most here use fromm beef fritatta and now the new pork n peas. some use the 4 star ones with grains. most here stay away from chicken and grains but sarah does the best on chicken so its just trial and error really. also the royal canin might not be the best but bullies can be allergy prone so if something new doesnt work out dont be hesitant about using it again if you need to. you could just put a dab of canned food or some yogurt on it to see if she will eat it but then they can come to expect something on their food all the time after that so take that into consideration. i boiled sarahs chicken but not her beef but i do know some that have. also have to understand that bullies are great at working you to get what they want so look out for that to. keep us updated. :)

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
When I used to just feed my dogs dry kibble and sometimes some canned food, they often lost interest in eating it, I had to feed by hand to get them to eat it at all. Imagine eating the same dehydrated meal day after day. Even the good quality food is still dry blah kibble or the wet stuff of questionable source... that does not resemble whatsoever what your dog would have been eating had he been born prior to the industrial revolution (which was not so long ago). I cook my dogs (i have 2 ) roasts (Costco 2 pack for $16) each week, I shred it and keep in the fridge. I add a small handfull of it (about 1/2 cup) warmed up in micro (of course) to their meals. Ever since I have been adding real meat they have enjoyed their food immensly. Good luck.

By the way, where in Canada are you?

Last edited:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda got bored of her food at one point. She gets iVet large breed canine, which is what our vet recommended. We visited my mom, who kept sneaking Til turkey. When we got home, Til looked at me like, "And you expect me to eat THIS?"

To mix it up, I add things to her food. I'll throw in a few frozen berries, stir it in with a spoonful of nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese, throw in some veggies, etc. Til LOVES it and it keeps her happy to eat. Maybe try that!

OP
RoxyRoller

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
So I think I'm going to bring Rox to the vet; when I got home she puked up the lunch she ate, wouldn't eat the kibble with pumpkin in it, and has diarrhea :nope: this has happened way to quick I think something might be wrong.
I did give her some chicken and brown rice which she ate with no issues though?
I want to thank everyone for their ideas and experiences. I will keep you all updated.

One more thing that I should mention again, she is just as active as ever. Before I saw she had the diarrhea we were running around the back yard being silly and ridiculous and she still seems fine as I'm typing this. Any more ideas maybe? Am I perhaps worrying too much?

Thanks Again!
[MENTION=3990]gracoliv[/MENTION] - I live in Edmonton, Alberta :)

Alicia & Roxy

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So I think I'm going to bring Rox to the vet; when I got home she puked up the lunch she ate, wouldn't eat the kibble with pumpkin in it, and has diarrhea :nope: this has happened way to quick I think something might be wrong.
I did give her some chicken and brown rice which she ate with no issues though?
I want to thank everyone for their ideas and experiences. I will keep you all updated.

One more thing that I should mention again, she is just as active as ever. Before I saw she had the diarrhea we were running around the back yard being silly and ridiculous and she still seems fine as I'm typing this. Any more ideas maybe? Am I perhaps worrying too much?

Thanks Again!
@gracoliv - I live in Edmonton, Alberta :)

Alicia & Roxy

Is there a chance she could've swallowed something? They are quite the Billy Goats and it often takes a couple weeks for symptoms to appear. If she vomits up the chicken and rice..I would take her. If nothing else..for peace of mind. If she keeps the chicken and rice down..you can do the bland diet for a week to let her tummy settle..

OP
RoxyRoller

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Is there a chance she could've swallowed something? They are quite the Billy Goats and it often takes a couple weeks for symptoms to appear. If she vomits up the chicken and rice..I would take her. If nothing else..for peace of mind. If she keeps the chicken and rice down..you can do the bland diet for a week to let her tummy settle..
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - she did keep the chicken and rice down yesterday, and no longer has diarrhea this morning, it's completely solid, she did drink water to quickly last night and it came up 30 seconds later, but no other puking. Since I made the appointment she seems to have gotten better. I will still take her, like you said for peace of mind :), and I'll keep her on the chicken and rice for the week. I feel like I may be overreacting a bit, but I know bully's can have there issues and I just want to do things right. Thanks so much everyone for the support, we'll probably come back from the vet's with a clean bill of health, just maybe then I'll stay sane for another week :blink:!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I experienced something like this with my back then 13 week old American bulldog puppy - i tried everything ,the only way puppy was eating (tiny amounts. dry food mixed with cooked chicken was feeding by hand) -after several days and vet check i decided to change the food , so my pup can have a bit of variety -since then i had no problems
I know its very worrying as back then i was worried sick for my tiny baby , but from my own expierience i know that no dog , or puppy will starve himself .
I hope your pup will get her appetite very soon xx

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT - she did keep the chicken and rice down yesterday, and no longer has diarrhea this morning, it's completely solid, she did drink water to quickly last night and it came up 30 seconds later, but no other puking. Since I made the appointment she seems to have gotten better. I will still take her, like you said for peace of mind :), and I'll keep her on the chicken and rice for the week. I feel like I may be overreacting a bit, but I know bully's can have there issues and I just want to do things right. Thanks so much everyone for the support, we'll probably come back from the vet's with a clean bill of health, just maybe then I'll stay sane for another week :blink:!

Sanity...lol.....I'm pretty sure you're like the rest of us! :crazy: That's great that all seemed good..the water thing happens just like you said..they drink too much too fast! I constantly have to stop Jake! the bland diet will help her settle in..then slowly reintroduce her food..while decreasing the amount of bland..

OP
RoxyRoller

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Good Morning Everyone,

Just thought I would update, I was going to yesterday, as I was on, but just for brief moments so didn't get a chance.

Roxy came back from the vets with a clean bill of health, they were going to take blood work but decided not to as she seemed fine in every way other than not eating. So we are going to hold off for a little bit on that. So she was given something to help her tummy if it was indeed upset (which seemed to help last night) & I was also sent home with some probiotics and one other thing, Florenty (?) or something can't remember the name exactly:rolleyes: it is suppose to help with the on and off diarrhea & a bag of kibble.

Since yesterday though she is doing much better, she is a bit more interested in eating, I'm still giving her brown rice and chicken and I'll put a small handful of mixed kibble on her kennel floor just before I leave to get her in her kennel and she happily inhales it - not if I put it in her bowl though...picky? No more puking whatsoever and her poops have been normal since.

So maybe I do just have an extremely picky eater who would rather eat off the floor then from her bowl?? Such a goof!!

Strathcona County-20130525-00369.jpg This about sums up what she thought of everything I think :p

Alicia & Roxy

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9092]RoxyRoller[/MENTION] That's good that she was given a clean bill. I love that pic and the quote you put! :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there! Something struck me in your first post-- the amount you are feeding. Is that 1 1/4c 3 times a day as in 4 cups total per day?

That seems like a lot of food to me for a fourteen week old puppy, she may be just bloated from too much food?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.