New here and New Food

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
We're new here. We got Bailey one week ago. She had and has a diarrhea. She had coccidia and was treated for it with 5 days of albon. Took in poop sample today, no more coccidia but she still has diarrhea. She got another med for an intestinal bacteria (metronidazole), she gets it for three days plus we are changing her food. We are to take her back to the vet in 3 days. Otherwise she got good report from the vet and has gained 2 lbs in the past week, now weighs 8.03 lbs.

We were feeding her 4Health puppy formula, which is what the breeder was feeding her and we are now switching to another grain free food the vet carries. Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula. Ingrediants: Bison, Lamb, Sweet potatoes, egg product, pea protein, peas. potatoes, canola oil, etc. to much to list all.

We are desperate to get her past the diarrhea.

Attatched more pictures of Bailey.

Attachments

• DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0179.jpg
    DSC_0179.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 131

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh poor Bailey..and poor you! Not the way you want to start out! I'm not much good with food questions but I will tag Sandra [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. She is wonderful. I do know antibiotics can be very hard on their systems and she has had a lot of change already! I would put her on a bland diet for a week or so to let her tummy settle. Then I would slowly transition to her new food. But lets see what Sandra and others think. By the way.. :welcome:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I would also recommend the bland diet for about a week with some pumpkin and yogurt in it. This works great; the new food may cause additional loose stool so I would get the stool firm first then start off on the dietary needs all over and that would be an easier gauge to tell if the new food was working or not. Good luck, beautiful puppy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She could be getting too much food too. Might try cutting back just a little on her food intake and see if that helps.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Step #1.... get new vet!!! You go in with a puppy that has diareahs (sp) and he sells you a new food????
Step #2.. use bland diet for about a week to get the tummy settled.
Step #3... transition your baby slowly to a good quality puppy food.
Go slowly on the transition and add a bit of canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling, to each serving while transitioning.

You mention she is 8# but how old is she?

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
She's 8 weeks and 8.03 lbs. How much of this bland diet? How much rice and how much lean hamburger? We are switching her to the bland diet, I'm off to get the hamburger.

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
The vet gave her new (different) meds and wants to see her in 3 days if the diahrrea doesnt clear up. I sugested a different dog food thinking it could be the dog food.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
She's 8 weeks and 8.03 lbs. How much of this bland diet? How much rice and how much lean hamburger? We are switching her to the bland diet, I'm off to get the hamburger.

Quarter cup of each mixed together, three times a day would prolly be pretty close.

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
She got her 1st dose of the new meds this morning and we switched to the different food for the day and she just had her first poop that was loose but not diarrhea. Yeah! We are still switching her to the bland diet, rice and boiled hamburger with a glob of pumpkin on top. She ate it up. She's a great eater, a great little pup, we just love her.

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Awww, I hope she feels better. Welcome!!! She's very cute.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
we have had pups here with diarrhea with no medical issues. some are over feeding and some the food just dont agree. i would stay with the bland diet for a week or so and i would slowly start adding in the new food. if at some point you get soft stool then back off a bit. you may have to cook for your pup for a bit so i hope thats ok. keep us updated. we can discuss totw at another time. :) someone here could only feed her pup 1/2 cup of kibble or the bully would get soft stool so you have to adjust these things to your bully. oh and :welcome:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online