JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger is 4 months old. Right now he is eating Science diet lamb and rice. He was on purina when I got him. We put him on blue buffalo when we got him and it was disastrous. He had diarrhea all the time. It was awful. My vet gave me Flagyl (metronidazole) an intestinal antibiotic and anti diarrhea paste. It didn't work. He then suggested science diet lamb and rice and he just finished his second round of the antibiotic because when he is on it he doesn't have diarrhea anymore. Also, jagger takes 1 Benadryl 3 times a day and temaril-p tablets twice a day ( for his grass allergy).

Right now we are doing ok. Since, I have had Jagger he has never has a solid normal dog poop. I am hoping we are moving closer to that direction.

Our vet has wormed him more than once, done fecal exams and and done Protozoa testing on his fecal sample and all has come back normal. He gains weight normally and is very happy.

Any suggestions are welcome. Do keep in mind he is only 4 months old so I still have to have a puppy food.

lots of love

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh man! You've had a tough beginning. I am going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. She is the one to help guide you to the best food for Jagger. I'm assuming you always did a Slow Transition? And since he has allergies, he is probably allergic to something in his food. Hold on and Sandra will be here! :)

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Yes I have done slow transition and everything my vet instructed me to do. My vet acknowledges that he is allergic to something in his food, he suggested a hypoallergenic diet when is is a year old. Only, at 4 months old it is difficult finding a food he will tolerate. I live in Northwest Arkansas and the selection for dog stores is not great we have PetSmart and that's it. My vet stocks science diet and that is what we normally feed. They have nothing for puppies that is hypoallergenic. I am willing to order food online but I am cautious because of his allergies.

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
since hes only 4 months ,did you transition the food? you might feed him to much . hes only 4 months with all that food changing I would have diarrhea too. but fromm for puppy is good . thats what I fed him when hes a puppy. gl

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I went through the same thing with Bogey! Food was a disaster! We tried Fromm's (both adult and puppy), and he was having soft serve/runny poop. Vet did the same thing- Flagyl and Antibiotics. During these times we did boiled sirloin and white rice. His stools firmed right up. Start the kibble again, and we started the whole cycle over. Finally, I tried PureVita Bison and at first he did well, but the stools were still 7-8 a day. my gut told me this was just not normal. We finally decided to go a completely different route- my pet food store owner, who owns a bulldog, took all the food we tried and did a comparison, and the only food that was a common denominator was sweet potatoes! Usually a very benign filler (and healthy) for bullies! So, we tried Earthborne Hollistic Meadowfeast, which has no sweet potato- tapioca is the filler. We had a winner! I introduced it over a 2 week period- starting with just boiled hamburger and rice. I literally added the kibble 2 tbsp at a time (Bogey was 5 months old.). By the end of hte first week, his stools were still normal, firm, MUCH smaller and only going 2 times a day. So he now gets a heaping 1/2 cup of kibble 2 x day with homemade toppers- hamburger and rice, yogurt, boiled lamb, cottage cheese or eggs. he is one happy camper!! It's really trial and error. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is great food guru! She'll be along to help you!! Good luck!!

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
He only did the blue buffalo for a week because of the explosive diarrhea. It was bad he could not control it. The science diet seems to have helped a lot. He now doesn't have issues holding it until he goes outside, when he does poop it's still soft. When I got him he was on purina and having the same issue he would make a mess where ever he was. No notice would just poop. Yes, it does seems I have changed his food a lot. All of this has been under the direction of my vet that owns English bulldogs. The only reason he was insistent on the food changes was because Jagger was losing weight because of the diarrhea. ( he is no at a healthy, normal weight)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What are the proteins of the food you were feeding? When you did Blue was it grain free?

My boy was allergic to rice and would throw up all the time till we got identified. My girl is allergic to chicken and she was a pink and hive mess till we got that one identified.

also, you can use online stores like Petflow to get a better food than what the big stores sell.... I went through a few foods even raw diet, until I found what works best for Banks... Fromm Pork and Peas.
The food queens will be along shortly... cowsmom and twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Jagger is 4 months old. Right now he is eating Science diet lamb and rice. He was on purina when I got him. We put him on blue buffalo when we got him and it was disastrous. He had diarrhea all the time. It was awful. My vet gave me Flagyl (metronidazole) an intestinal antibiotic and anti diarrhea paste. It didn't work. He then suggested science diet lamb and rice and he just finished his second round of the antibiotic because when he is on it he doesn't have diarrhea anymore. Also, jagger takes 1 Benadryl 3 times a day and temaril-p tablets twice a day ( for his grass allergy).

Right now we are doing ok. Since, I have had Jagger he has never has a solid normal dog poop. I am hoping we are moving closer to that direction.

Our vet has wormed him more than once, done fecal exams and and done Protozoa testing on his fecal sample and all has come back normal. He gains weight normally and is very happy.

Any suggestions are welcome. Do keep in mind he is only 4 months old so I still have to have a puppy food.

lots of love

First... :) you do not have to feed puppy food. There are all stages foods that you can feed.

The first thing you need to do is makes his :poo: more solid. If I were you I would dump that Science Diet crap in the bird feeder. Give him 2 full weeks of rice and boiled ground beef, chicken or turkey. That should set his intestines on a solid foundation. If it doesn't you can add a little bit of canned pumpkin to each meal. If the pumpkin doesn't help your local health food store sells Slippery Elm Bark. It is a natural herb that you can mix in some water or applesauce that helps with diarrhea and other digestive issues.

After the 2 weeks of rice you can jump right in to a new food, no transition necessary. You can try Natures Variety. It is a 6 star rated food, it is an all stages food which means that it is perfectly fine for a puppy, they have limited ingredient formulas for allergy sensitive dogs AND it is sold at your local Petsmart

Sorry, but while I love the advances in veterinary sciences that Hills funds I detest their food. I'm not even sure I'd put it in the bird feeder :)

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Thank you everyone. I have been looking into the rice and chicken. But I have many questions, how much rice and how much chicken? Do I use white or brown rice? Bone in or chicken breasts? Can I make a few days worth and refrigerate it? I do have a few natural food stores in my area, how much of the slippery elm bark would I use?

Jagger is chubby right now - I have been getting him back to a healthy weight. We was malnourished and covered in hot spots and allergy sores when I got him. His birthday is Feb. 8 and as of Sunday he weighs 27.8lbs.

Right now his poop is not diarrhea but is still quite soft.

With the new allergy medication, he no longer has a rash on his belly and this is only the second day :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you everyone. I have been looking into the rice and chicken. But I have many questions, how much rice and how much chicken? Do I use white or brown rice? Bone in or chicken breasts? Can I make a few days worth and refrigerate it? I do have a few natural food stores in my area, how much of the slippery elm bark would I use?

Jagger is chubby right now - I have been getting him back to a healthy weight. We was malnourished and covered in hot spots and allergy sores when I got him. His birthday is Feb. 8 and as of Sunday he weighs 27.8lbs.

With the new allergy medication, he no longer has a rash on his belly and this is only the second day :)

Here is the link to a sticky on the bland diet. It works...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...The-quot-Bland-Diet-quot&highlight=Bland+diet

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

if you can give me a rundown or what he was on and what it did to him and all i can help you better find a food. im talking the specific brand and kind. im looking for proteins and such. hills is crap for sure and my dog would not even touch it when the vet gave it to me before i knew better. i would def do the bland diet till we can find something that works for your baby. i would not keep my dog on that temaril p as its a steroid and long term use is not good for the dog. its ok till we can find out what is bothering him. the fact that the anti biotic makes his stool better suggests to me an allergy.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Have you tried just reducing the quantity of the food you are giving him? If his problem stems from too much food a quick way to fix that is reduce the quantity and see. And too much food will certainly give him loose stools.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I'm not 100% for sure of the Purina he was on, the lady would just tell me Purina. I've tried to contact her and ask and her response was "he's your problem now". But he was eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness (horrible mistake) and now he is on Puppy Science Diet Lamb and Rice(still soft poop but not the watery diarrhea anymore). The temaril p is because his grass allergy is so bad that his tummy breaks out and peels. He was take 2 Benadryl capsules 3 times a day and he still would break out and peel. :( I try and keep him out of the grass but he will run as fast as he can to get to grass and sprawl out in it. I am going tonight to the chicken plant store to get a box of chicken and get white rice and some cottage cheese. I am going to do that for at least the next two weeks.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
can you put a tshirt on him so if he lays in the grass at least he is not touching it with his belly. just a thought. i will look into the food aspect and see whats you maybe able to use besides that. dont get me started on her response :bitching:

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
The woman I got him from was not prepared to take of a bulldog baby. She just wanted to say she had a bulldog. She did not want take responsibility for him and treat all his allergy problems and work at finding a food he could tolerate. She also told me he was a horrible potty trainer. He sleeps all night in bed with me or my daughter, he wakes us up by kissing our faces when he wants to go out. Don't get me wrong he does have accidents but he is not horrible. He's a puppy. When I went to get Jagger she told me she just didn't have the time to deal with him. I was upset , I had never seen him in person or in a picture but was already committed to taking him home and loving him.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.