Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food advice please!!!!

Default Re: Food advice please!!!!

My bully is a diaper dog (spina bifida) needless to say, diarrhea is a major problem. Here are some things I've learned. If you are dealing with food allergies try a limited ingredient food. Great Life carries several such as Dr. E's limited ingredient potato free buffalo or duck. It is an all stages food rated with 4 stars by the dog food advisor. One line of thought with food allergies is to feed a food that has never been previously introduced lessening the likelihood of reaction. Good luck and I hope things continue to improve.

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card! JennyeStear's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Last night went great!!!! Only one night time pee break and no all night. This is a big deal, he used to go at least 2 times a night. And this morning was the most solid he has ever had since he has been at my house!!! I know this is very odd to be excited about but it a big deal for us..... lol My plan is to keep with the chicken another day or two and for the next week do the hamburger and see if it has a greater impact. That way I can have a better idea of what food to get. I am sure of a no grain food now just trying to decided if we should avoid chicken. But I feel since the diarrhea is gone and he is feeling so much better that chicken may not be a real issue at this point. I never realized how bloated his stomach was until I started the bland diet and now he looks quite trim and does not have that bullfrog belly.

My journey of getting him the proper food is not near over yet but I do feel a little more at ease and that I am getting closer.
    Thank you everyone who has given me advice.
    Now I just need to decide on a food, which I feel is the biggest challenge.
    One, we have PetSmart and Walmart as my only local dog food sources without ordering online
    Two, I'm not 100% for sure what exactly I need to be looking for
    Three, will Jagger even eat the new food ( He is kind of spoiled and gets his own way )
    Jennye

Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

I have one more week planned on the bland food diet.... I'm going to start introducing a new kibble.... My choices of food that are grain free that I can get locally at some of the natural and holistic stores are:

Wellness Core - 6 rating
    Blue Wilderness - 6 rating
    Nutro Ultra Holistic - 4 rating
    Innova - 4 rating

Any suggestion on which would be the best to give Jagger for the fist time??
    Jennye

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Let's see if Sandra can help with specifics. @cowsmom

Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

It's safe to say, Jagger is not allergic to chicken. He is doing very well. Now, I am on the kibble hunt. I def. going grain free. We are going to have an outing tonight to a couple of stores to compare foods. I'm not going to start introducing the kibble until next Friday.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I'm not positive..but I think I remember that your Bully can often eat cooked or raw chicken, and STILL be allergic to chicken in kibble...I know..it's true for raw..just not 100% positive the chicken in bland diet is included.
    @cowsmom.. @desertskybulldogs

Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I'm not positive..but I think I remember that your Bully can often eat cooked or raw chicken, and STILL be allergic to chicken in kibble...I know..it's true for raw..just not 100% positive the chicken in bland diet is included.
    @cowsmom.. @desertskybulldogs

Thank you for that... Yet another thing I am concerned about going into buying his new kibble. One of my concerns was the lamb in the lamb and rice, he had such horrible diarrhea when he ate it. I may just avoid chicken and grain. I've notices in the level 6 and 5 rated foods there are many options for no grain and no chicken foods

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok so i pick a food out and then i scroll down further and see you are going chicken free also. grrrr. i was going to say perhaps wellness core puppy but it has chicken in it. also didnt you feed bb before and he had diarrhea. which one? forgive me if you already have told me. im also confused are you going with all stages food or puppy food now? perhaps some fish food. castor and Pollux makes a grain free and poultry free food that is not bad and is sold at petsmart. wellness core makes a fish version of their food which is good to. im sorry im just so short of time lately.

Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    ok so i pick a food out and then i scroll down further and see you are going chicken free also. grrrr. i was going to say perhaps wellness core puppy but it has chicken in it. also didnt you feed bb before and he had diarrhea. which one? forgive me if you already have told me. im also confused are you going with all stages food or puppy food now? perhaps some fish food. castor and Pollux makes a grain free and poultry free food that is not bad and is sold at petsmart. wellness core makes a fish version of their food which is good to. im sorry im just so short of time lately.
    I'm good the last two days I have been food shopping for Jagger. I feel like I have been to 100 different stores. I found Merrick (5 in ratings) that is grain and chicken free and is all stages. I am going use the one that has buffalo in it. This week Jagger will stick to the bland diet and I will start adding kibble Friday. I appreciate all the help and we shall see how adding a little
    Kibble at a time goes.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyeStear View Post
    I'm good the last two days I have been food shopping for Jagger. I feel like I have been to 100 different stores. I found Merrick (5 in ratings) that is grain and chicken free and is all stages. I am going use the one that has buffalo in it. This week Jagger will stick to the bland diet and I will start adding kibble Friday. I appreciate all the help and we shall see how adding a little
    Kibble at a time goes.
    well thats cool but the buffalo one has chicken meal in it just so ya know. the duck and pork one does not contain chicken. good luck.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Phew ... welcome to the world of finding the right food for your bully. It's like stepping through a minefield.

Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like we will be doing the pork. My goodness... I hadn't bought any food yet, planned on going this next weekend and actually getting one. But thank you for point out it has chicken meal. U do feel as though I'm in a minefield, but I know it's all for Jaggers's best interest.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads