Too skinny

BMF0026

Jun 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo and Pete
I have a one year old olde English pup. I am concerned about his weight. He is more than just skinny. I am able to see his spine and rib cage. His coat is dingy and he has balding spots. I have tried changing his diet; and I have taken him to the vet. The vet said the balding spot was due to allergies and or a superficial staph infection. He received a cortisone shot and antibiotic pills for the possible staph infection which he has been taking accordingly. Our vet put him on prescribed food. But he is still not doing any better. I am very worried because his litter mate brother has very good muscle tone/ girth, is healthy looking, and his coat is full and shines. I feed both the boys the same amount. Which is a cup and a half of Pure Balance dry food. Well the thin one is now on Iams veterinarian formula;It is a wet canned food. Neither male is neutered. And the thin one's energy levels fluctuate. He can run around the yard but he easily becomes tired. I also noticed he is always excessively thirsty. He will drink and drink and drink until he vomits if given the opportunity. When he was about 14 or 15 weeks he jumped off our front stoop and broke his elbow and shoulder. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but I want as much information in this thread as possible. These are my babies and I am terrified something is seriously wrong. I know it's isn't anything as simple as worms because the vet has done two stool samples and they have come back clean. Please help me. I feel like enough isn't being done. Thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

OP
B

BMF0026

Jun 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo and Pete
I forgot to include he weighs only 28 lbs while his brother weighs 40. And if crated for a period of time while I am at work he will urinate while the other pup won't. At first I thought it was behavioral but now I am just dying with concern.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I would not necessarily follow the vets recommendation for the food change; vets don't typically know alot about nutrition and usually put you on some version of food that they sell which is usually pretty poor, which I assume is the case with the Iams product. I am not sure what the direction for amounts to feed are on the food you were feeding, but 1.5 cups sounds like a very small amount of food. If its simply a matter of the 2 dogs having different metabolism, maybe you should just give more food. I give my guys approx 1.5 cups (Fromm 4 Star), topped with about 1/2 cooked roast beef and 2 squirts of Alaskan Salmon Oil (a must !!) TWICE A DAY. They are really good weights (not overweight). Good luck.

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
I agree with the above statement about the food- I'm not sure I would use that food either. But, his symptoms sound similar to diabetes. I'm not a veterinarian, but those are all common side effects of diabetes, and I would have his blood sugar tested. As for his thinness, we have a Boxer that has always been really underweight- no matter what we do, she stays so skinny. We fed her puppy food for a long time to get the extra fat- he might just have a really good metabolism. But, the peeing and drinking that much water- sounds like diabetes to me.

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Has your vet checked thyroid and/or other endocrine issues? Excessive thirst, frequent urination, hair loss and weight loss/gain issues can point to thyroid or insulin problems in humans. My boxer was on thyroid medication from the age of 4, though she was the opposite; gaining weight and lethargic. I also agree regarding vets and nutrition information. As long as they profit from their recommendations (selling food) I take it with a grain of salt. My son has an Olde English Bulldog (she and my Lucy are best of friends; though the OEBD is twice Lucy's size. Lucy is the dominant dog.) and I think he keeps her too thin. His vet says she's the perfect weight; but then my vet said she should be able to feels Lucy's ribs without pressing. The breeder says no, that EBs are supposed to be thick.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post some pictures of your baby? Aslo, agree with others, vet do not spend any time on nutrition when in school and they just push what they sell.

i am going to tag a few members that can give you some sound advice on food and nutrition

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Has your vet done any bloodwork on him? If not, I would request a full CBC and urinalysis be run to rule out Cushing's or some other cause.

How big is this balding spot? Can you post a picture of it?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think we need [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] here. Leslie has experience with digestive problems and I'm sure she will have an idea where to start..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh man I feel bad for you and your baby. the previous advice is very very good, and vets don't know anything about nutrition. blood work should be done and urine tests. has the vet done a scraping?
The idea of diabetes is possible as is a thyroid problem. I don't know how much stock you put into your vet, but you might like a second opinion or just demand the necessary tests. blood work and urine really should be checked. just IMO

OP
B

BMF0026

Jun 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo and Pete
Thank you all so so much for your responses! Truly. And I am sorry I feed them a cup and a half twice a day. I wasn't clear about that. No the vet hasn't done any blood work. He always says he will do it next time but I am going to make an appointment AGAIN and demand it this time! You are all so wonderful and I appreciate it so much. I will post recent pictures as soon as I get home tonight!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh man I feel bad for you and your baby. the previous advice is very very good, and vets don't know anything about nutrition. blood work should be done and urine tests. has the vet done a scraping?
The idea of diabetes is possible as is a thyroid problem. I don't know how much stock you put into your vet, but you might like a second opinion or just demand the necessary tests. blood work and urine really should be checked. just IMO

Just what I was gonna suggest, blood tests, urine tests, and another vet x

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thank you all so so much for your responses! Truly. And I am sorry I feed them a cup and a half twice a day. I wasn't clear about that. No the vet hasn't done any blood work. He always says he will do it next time but I am going to make an appointment AGAIN and demand it this time! You are all so wonderful and I appreciate it so much. I will post recent pictures as soon as I get home tonight!

If you can afford it, demand a FULL panel. You want a complete CBC, T4 and urinalysis. A lot of times vets will run a short panel that just checks the big stuff. You want everything checked.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well first off, find yourself another vet, preferably a good bully vet. Your vet should have done blood work on him already. I am like the others, either thyroid, or diabetes, or maybe even cushings disease. Let us know how his progress goes ans what the new vet tells you.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
In total agreement with the other, and want to add "Piss Poor Vet" There's obviously a problem to have your concern, At a year old Rocky was 47.7 lbs and he was the runt of the litter. Rambo is 9 months old and is 46 lbs, Seeing Spine and Ribs on a dog is not s sign of health in anyones opinion. Not blaming you at all, your doing the right thing by enquiring, and following your gut instinct, Blood Tests, Urinealysis, Diabetes, Cushings, and thyroid one should turn up something, By your vet not doing this yet, is a tell tale sign something is wrong….. Get a new Vet and follow your instincts, Think theres a problem, then their most like is…… As with your body, you know when somethings not right, or you don't feel right, The same with your Bully…. Except your his spokesman, / Representative….. IMHO

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.