Help. I'm stumped & frustrated regarding Oliver's food.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Okay, so I hope as I explain this it will make sense.
Due to esophagus issues, Oliver had to be switched from dry food to wet food. He has always maintained a grain-free diet. Since his diagnosis many months ago, we have tried Merrick's grain-free canned and Nature's Recipe grain-free canned. Our issue is that we felt Nature's Recipe wasn't a highly rated food and that concerned us as we have noticed a bunch of skin issues with him since being on their canned food. However, the consistency of it worked well, as Oliver's poop was normal. He has been on Merrick's grain-free for almost 2 weeks and while his skin has definitely cleared up, he is having very loose poop - not to the point of diarrhea but loose enough to be disgusting and messy. (we have always used baby wipes on our dogs but this has taken it to a new level) I am certain this is due to the very wet, mushy consistency of Merrick's food. I've been adding a spoon of pumpkin to his diet on the days his loose stool is at its worst, but even that isn't solving the problem.

Does anyone know of any wet, grain-free food that is a thicker consistency - as in, not as wet & mushy?
We haven't tried AvoDerm or Fromm yet. Can anyone share what the consistency of the food is like before we try it?
(I know that is sort of a weird question but if anyone can answer it, I know some of you can!) :)
Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

***Update****
After posting this same question to a FB group, I ended up buying several different single cans of various grain-free brands, brought them home, opened them up and have now decided on a food. Let's hope Oliver agrees with my choice!

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so you have picked out a canned food but in case you have this problem in the future you can add a spoonful of metamucil sf unflavored to his food for fiber. you could also use some foods for this like beans mashed up (black or lima) seem to have the most or peas. i know your grain free but barley, brown rice, or oatmeal will give fiber to help the stool. just a thought

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thanks! Those are great ideas! I ended up speaking with our vet. She feels Oliver should stick with the Merrick and wants us to try a spoonful of pumpkin in each meal for one more week. She feels he needs more time to adjust and as long as it isn't full-blown diarrhea, to just give it a bit more time. So, after looking like a weirdo buying a bunch of single cans of all different foods so I could come home, open then just to see if they are liquidy or more pate-like, we are back where we started for another week. Haha! But the Metamucil or mashed beans or peas is an awesome idea - one I haven't heard of before. So thank you!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I always keep a couple of cans of the Fromm Beef Frittata in the kitchen. I use them to mix into white rice if I ever have to go with the bland diet. It always goes down very well and of course it's grain free.

My only other suggestion would be to consider home cooking.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.