question about the rated foods

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The store I've been buying our kibbles from has stopped selling Orijen so last week I bought Earthborn Coastal Catch again. Yesterday I went back to get more, they were out so I got Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato.

Fromm is listed as a 6 star food. Earthborn Coastal Catch is a 5 star food. So how come I have to feed more Fromm than Earthborn? If it's a better food, shouldn't I be feeding less?

80 to 90 pounds
Earthborn 3.25 - 3.75 cups per day

70-90 pounds
Fromm 4.25-5 cups per day

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got me by the bra straps.... but I never pay attention to the bags anyway, I feed what I see as best for the pup. Banks only gets two cups a day.... accourding to what the bags stae... she would be getting 4-5 cups a day and weigh about 100lbs :faint:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I also pay more attentio to the pup; Amber gets 2 cups a day and Ruby also was getting two cups a day but she is growing so fast I increased hers just a bit through the use of eggs and yogurt. It also depends on how active your pup is, mine are active right now because they are both so young and play non-stop.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's an interesting question! I'll try to find out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
That's an interesting question! I'll try to find out.

it's not that big a deal, just something strange that I noticed.

I'm still trying to get Athena up to a decent weight so I'm adding dry food to her meals. She was doing great with the Orijen and Honest Kitchen but that got expensive. And now with my store not selling Orijen anymore and being sold out of the Coastal Catch... I had to figure something else out.

The nutritionist in me always reads the labels and it stuck out at me. If it's supposedly a better food it stands to reason that I would need less of it than a lower quality brand.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well ive not checked with the company but it seems to have more to do with the protein fat and calories in the food than the rating. one is grain free and one is not. also seems to be adjusted by this between the foods as meadow feast has a higher feeding as do the grain foods in the earthborn line and seems to be that way with the fromm line as well somewhat. i also dont think there are specific guidelines really as to how much to feed dogs so they just estimate. i think if you look on different food bags you will see they are all different so you should just feed according to your dog and not by what the bag says.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yep, mine also get one scoop which is 2 cups a day. except for Jack he gets 4 cups a day. If they were more active, I'd feed more, the bag's aren't breed specific, not to mention they'd love to sell ya a kazillion bags of food

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My bulldogs get 2 cups per day, they become Roly polys if I even give them 2.5 cups per day. I think they wouldn't be able to walk if I gave them what the feeding guidelines say! :rofl:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Also when buying pay attention to the bag weights, some are 26, 28, and 30 lbs, they look about the same in size, but when comparing prices you need to keep it in mind :)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Also when buying pay attention to the bag weights, some are 26, 28, and 30 lbs, they look about the same in size, but when comparing prices you need to keep it in mind :)

I actually noticed that the other day, and then divided price by pounds to see the difference!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I do feed according to my dogs needs. I cook for Otis, Roxy and now Tank (who seriously needs a diet I might add). But Athena is still extremely underweight so I like to add to her bowl. This is why drew my attention to the feeding guidelines. I saw the guaranteed analysis of both products and Earthborn is higher in protein and fat and fiber but not so much to account for that much more feeding of the Fromm.

This was the only reason I asked about it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I do feed according to my dogs needs. I cook for Otis, Roxy and now Tank (who seriously needs a diet I might add). But Athena is still extremely underweight so I like to add to her bowl. This is why drew my attention to the feeding guidelines. I saw the guaranteed analysis of both products and Earthborn is higher in protein and fat and fiber but not so much to account for that much more feeding of the Fromm.

This was the only reason I asked about it.
like i said there are no guidelines for this far as i know so i believe they can put on the bag whatever they want really. its an estimate only. its like if you and i were to each make our own home made dog food well we can put on there what we want as to how much to feed.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.