To raw or not to raw

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Spoke to the owner of Stiggy's future doggy daycare today, and she's an absolute believer in the raw diet. Even came out with a book and dvd about it too. I mentioned that my main concern was hygiene ie. the germs that raw meat products carry and the measures we need to take in order to ensure cleanliness. She said that our kibble diet is not so different and that they also carry the same germs, even salmonella, and that we're not even supposed to touch the kibble with our hands. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't think that her main objective is to make a sale as she said that she only mentions the diet on the first consultation then never again after, she leaves it for the owner to contemplate about it.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I raw feed the girls atleast 3x a week and Beefy is all Raw and cooked white rice.Baby joe is 10mnths and has never had any problems with the raw and we've been doing it since 16wks.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I dont feed raw or know anything much about it but I have heard that kids playing in kibble isnt so good cuz it can have salmonella. I think that was more directed at the fact that people may not wash out the bowls everyday tho rather than the kibble itself. We know some get recalled for these things but mostly not so much.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'll leave making Gracie's diet in the hands of the people that are experts on the subject and not pretend I know more than they. We buy a high quality food for her and will trust that it is good for her and will privide her with a long, healthy life.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I feed Lola a raw diet.....sort of. I buy Natures Variety Instinct raw patties. It's not the traditional meat on the bone raw diet, but it's raw meat (with some veggies). It's expensive, but it's given us the best results of any food we've tried. We haven't had much luck with Lola and allergies while she was on kibble.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I don't feed raw, mostly for the spoilage possibilities and the fear that they wouldn't be getting everything they need. Seems to me the bowls need to be washed after EVERY use whether it's raw or kibble.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online