What is a long lasting and tasty chew thing?

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hey all!
Miss Daisy seems to chew up everything so quickly. I heard that Rawhide isnt good for them. But what is? I believe someone mentioned some kind of antler... Unless I was imagining things. lol We have done the edible Nylabone and that lasts only an hour. Thanks :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We use Antlers, either Deer, or Elk, some like Moose - the sticker shock is a bit much off of the get go, but they do last a very long time (compared to other chew toys) Keep in mind, they are BONE LIKE, very HARD, and some dogs have gotten broken teeth from Antlers (but I'm sure they have broke teeth on other things too!) There is an X-ray floating around Facebook about a dog that swallowed a piece of Antler, which did some damage, but with ANY chew toy, it should be supervised, and if they can swallow it, it should be removed from them.

DO NOT BUY ANTLERS that are SPLIT down the middle, the Marrow gets everywhere, and the edge becomes very sharp and knife like.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Sheena & Daisy.... Your absolutely correct about the Rawhide, even my Vet suggested I keep way away, what happens is the Bully's chew on the RawHide, pieces break aloose, and in the process of chewing and breathing, they inhale the pieces into their already obstructed throats, causing severe choke hazards. I shop for Rocky at Pet Smart, and the line of chew toys I look at their is Kong's, and Indestructable marked bones, such as I want to say Nylabone, it's a yellowish color, and Rocky will chew one up a Month, But I also keep him with Kong Chewables, Frisbies, and many chew toys, as long as he's chewing on his toys, he's leaving mine alone, and furniture too. Pet smart and other Pet stores have what they call the indestructable line, it's made for Heavy chewers, such as a BULLY GOAT, Pitt Bull, German Shepherds, Pets with excessive jaw force and a need to teeth. Things Rocky enjoys are bones and or Rings with Raised knobs in them, even a bone I've got, looks like the bottom side of a pair of cleets, he loves it and chews on them for a while, and I keep 5-8 of them out for him at all times. Rocky's favorite past time is grabbing a 2 liter plastic bottle from where ever he can find it, a nearby plastic coke bottle someone sets down is also game, he kicks it around my work room playing soccer for about an hour, before getting bored, and chewing it to smitherenes, The trick is to keep a close eye on them with the cap, because they will chew it off, and this also becomes a choking hazzard. Hope this helps, but The KONG Line seems to have some fantastic toys that seem to last for Rocky.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use the regular Nylabones, the wolf size and mine like them, and Nylabone and Kong also make some hard rubber ones too.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey Sheena & Daisy.... Your absolutely correct about the Rawhide, even my Vet suggested I keep way away, what happens is the Bully's chew on the RawHide, pieces break aloose, and in the process of chewing and breathing, they inhale the pieces into their already obstructed throats, causing severe choke hazards. I shop for Rocky at Pet Smart, and the line of chew toys I look at their is Kong's, and Indestructable marked bones, such as I want to say Nylabone, it's a yellowish color, and Rocky will chew one up a Month, But I also keep him with Kong Chewables, Frisbies, and many chew toys, as long as he's chewing on his toys, he's leaving mine alone, and furniture too. Pet smart and other Pet stores have what they call the indestructable line, it's made for Heavy chewers, such as a BULLY GOAT, Pitt Bull, German Shepherds, Pets with excessive jaw force and a need to teeth. Things Rocky enjoys are bones and or Rings with Raised knobs in them, even a bone I've got, looks like the bottom side of a pair of cleets, he loves it and chews on them for a while, and I keep 5-8 of them out for him at all times. Rocky's favorite past time is grabbing a 2 liter plastic bottle from where ever he can find it, a nearby plastic coke bottle someone sets down is also game, he kicks it around my work room playing soccer for about an hour, before getting bored, and chewing it to smitherenes, The trick is to keep a close eye on them with the cap, because they will chew it off, and this also becomes a choking hazzard. Hope this helps, but The KONG Line seems to have some fantastic toys that seem to last for Rocky.

Dave, Because you had mentioned it in other threads I tried this out with the 2 liter bottle thing on the ground this weekend. After barking for about 20 minutes at the bottle Buster finally went after it and it was hysterical! He could not figure out why after he punched it in it came popping back out with this incredible bang!! LOL! He chased it around our den until he was just plain worn out for what seems like over an hour. He almost took out 2 side tables and a lamp while chasing it around. Thanks for the advice! LOL! It was a good laugh!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace likes the antlers best. He sometimes will chew on the xtreme kong and he never cared for the nylabones. But for a durable chew that actually provides some nutrients the antlers are good.

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
ok...So about the antlers. Petco had them. But they seemed kind of small? Do they need to be huge? I dont know.. I guess Im paranoid when giving her things.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
until joinging here i couldn't find anything except for the nylabones for forde.....when i heard about the antlers...i got him one at petsmart....it said large, but really wasn't all that big....but forde has chewed and chewed on it.....hes had it about 2 months now......for his birthday on sunday i found him a really huge one.....he loves it .....so thankful i was told about them......so much good "stuff" on here :) i guess the thing about getting teeth broken like said above can happen with anything.....

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I use antlers for both of mine, large jumbo sized ones. I also get the tough toys that have a rating on them as too the strength for intense chewers. They are a little pricey but last forever. The toys are huge and Amber and Ruby play tug of war and drag them everywhere plus we pull on them. So far none of them have any signs of wear and we have had them for a couple of months. The ones I get them have a rating between 8 and 10, each toy has its own individual rating. Good luck.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If you shop around the antlers aren't expensive at all. I get 3 large Elk for 23.00, 3 jumbo for 30. I'm not sure I can post a link here or not but if you ask I will give you the site

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I am interested in your source for antlers. I will send you a PM :)

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
if your pup is teething you can dip a rope toy in beef broth (low sodium of course) and then freeze it, it will be a tasty treat, great for summer, and will feel good on those gums!

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
if your pup is teething you can dip a rope toy in beef broth (low sodium of course) and then freeze it, it will be a tasty treat, great for summer, and will feel good on those gums!

Ya thats a good idea. I tried LS chicken broth and she really didnt care for that. But Ill try the Beef

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.