How much food per day?

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Hey everyone! So Ramsay is eating 1/2 a cup, 3 times a day - is this enough food? He looks thin to me, especially around his waist! My boyfriend thinks it's just his build, but I'm not sure. I can't see his ribs, but I can feel them. I'll try to take a picture of him from above so you can see his profile. Just wondering if 1.5 cups /day is regular for an 8.5 week pup!

Here's a picture:
photo.JPG

See what I mean about his tiny waist? Maybe it's just his bully form...

Last edited:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Melissa, hopefully someone will chime in with an answer for you soon. I have no idea what is the recommended amount, but Mayhem eats approximately 3/4 cup, 3 times per day, plus treats for training. I do occasionally give him a full cup for breakfast, as he seems extra hungry.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
He looks good waist wise. Bullys are supposed to have one. Puppies as young as yours are often rolly-poly You could probably up it by a half cup per day and see what that does. Too much and he'll get runny poop. also, watch his waist and make sure he doesn't get straight back from shoulders tho hips. That would be too fat. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] should be able to help with pups that young.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, when my guys were pups, they ate 1 cup 3 times a day, until they were about 7 months old, then I switched them to 1 cup twice a day. At 8 weeks a puppy needs the extra calories and fat for their rapidly growing bodies, and the extra energy that they have. Some people feed their puppies 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day, and some feed 1 cup 3 times a day. It depends on your pup and how much they poop and what the consistency of the poop is. If the poop is soft or mushy, or he seems to be going too much during the day, then cut back, but if the poop is firm but soft, and he's going 2 or 3 times a day, then that's normal. A growing puppy should be fed 3 times a day, while they are growing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He looks fine in the pic. You should be able to feel ribs, but not easily. I would increase his food a little. If his poop gets soft then back down a little. I believe in feeding a growing pup as much as they can handle without having soft poop, for the first 6 or 7 months.

GraceMom

Dec 30, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Your puppy is beautiful. I've never seen a brindle Bully before, so pretty. That's how much I feed my baby, along w/treats of course.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He looks fine in the pic. You should be able to feel ribs, but not easily. I would increase his food a little. If his poop gets soft then back down a little. I believe in feeding a growing pup as much as they can handle without having soft poop, for the first 6 or 7 months.

agree ^^^^

OP
mbd963

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Thanks for all of the advice! His :poo:'s are firm for the most part, maybe a but soft the past few days as we're starting to switch over food. We're going to the vet tomorrow so I'll double check with her. Don't see the harm in increasing it a little bit!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.