Help Needed! Am I feeding TOO MUCH?

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
I really never thought to ask this, but what the hell, I KNOW my feeding is a little irregular compared to others on here.

My dog, Brembo, eats around 5 Cups of Fromm grain free (Beef Frittata, Pork and Peas, Surf and Turf, Game Bird) every day (2.5c 2x per day)....I always have 2 different kinds on hand and will alternate breakfast and dinner.

Brembo is almost 1yr 3mos so I assume he's got some widening growth spurts still to go through (hopefully), however do you think I am feeding him too much?

His stools are mostly firm with the occasional softy, but I want to be sure that I'm not doing damage by giving him TOO much of a good thing. He gobbles it down and would probably 7 cups a day if I let him. I also give him training treats and the like all the time, as I am always teaching him new things. He's incredibly active and always has energy for the next playtime.

What do you all think?

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I think 3 cups is what is suggested on most bags of dog food for the size/weight of an EBD. I think you may be giving a bit over, plus training treats. Does he look overweight? YET? Does he have that dip around his waist?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
we feed 1 cup x 2 a day for a total of 2 cups a day, 5 seems like an awful lot to me, however, how active is your pup? and what does he weight at a year and 3 months?

Gizmo is big for a girl, she is 52 lbs @ 3 years old (most females are 45ish) but she was just at the vet, and the vet says she is fine, no weight issue.

Hershey is about 15 months and is also right at the 52lb mark. They both have a distinctive 'Waist line' when looking down at them

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'd guess too much. Big Zam is 11 months old, 55 pounds and gets 3 cups per day. Remember, being a fat bullie is bad for the hips, if nothing else.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Does he look overweight? YET? Does he have that dip around his waist?

He weighs about 58lb and has a VERY nice waistline.... I actually think he looks a little thin! The vet thinks he looks wonderful at his current weight!

however, how active is your pup? and what does he weight at a year and 3 months?

Yup same as above....he's 57-58lb and has a VERY distinctive waist line when looking down. He's extremely active...during the cool months he'll walk ~3 miles a day, and he'll get lots of play time with friends dogs or at daycare.

I was just worried that, since Fromm has so many nutrients, he wasn't getting TOO much of a good thing. Kind of like overdosing of vitamins...

Last edited:
OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
recent pic....you can see yourself, he's definitely not fat!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber and Ruby eat twice a day and usually at 0630am and 5pm and about 1 cup each feeding. It may be a little more since I feed them homemade food but its not much more than a cup per feeding. Amber is 18 months old and wieghts 52 pounds so she should almost be finished growing out and I have noticed her weight is rather stable. Ruby is coming up on 4 months old and I just increased her to a full cup per feeding. I will find out what she weights tomorrow at her vet appointment. I suspect she weights between 20 and 25 pounds.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If he's fat (I can se he isn't) he's getting too much, if not then you're not feeding too much. You can always try to feed a little bit less and see what happens...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
From the pic he is not over weight. If he is very active then he may be burning it off. When Buddy was between 1 and 3 years of age we fed him 3 cups a day, but now he is over 3 and was getting a little chubby so we reduced his intake to about 2 1/4 cup a day. We also feed hm FROMM. Just watch his weight and if you see him getting a little chubby just cut back a little.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
any chance of a TOP down look at him? to see his back and his waist line and butt ? then another from the side. I know you are like all of us bully owners and you have LOTS and LOTS of pictures :) but from that angle he looks good to me !

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
From the pic he is not over weight. If he is very active then he may be burning it off. When Buddy was between 1 and 3 years of age we fed him 3 cups a day, but now he is over 3 and was getting a little chubby so we reduced his intake to about 2 1/4 cup a day. We also feed hm FROMM. Just watch his weight and if you see him getting a little chubby just cut back a little.

I can only mimic what David said.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.