Switching food - How to do it

ddrahota

May 24, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I am a fairly new bulldog owner, 5 months now. Been feeding Science diet but after joining this forum and going to switch to Fromm. My boy is about 9 months old, what do you suggest I try? How long to you keep them on puppy food?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: to the site. Change over slowly starting with 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 of old food with one tablespoon of canned plain pumpkin daily. after 3 days add a bit more of the new food to his diet. the changeover should take about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks even as much as 3 weeks . if he gets runny stool, back off a bit on the amount of new food.
He's ready for adult food. I feed my pack Fromm Pork and peas, they are all doing very well on it
keep us posted

OP
ddrahota

ddrahota

May 24, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thank you for the advice, I will be ordering some today from Pet Flow. Any advice on what kind of treats I should be giving Chunk?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I give my guys and girls green beans or carrots or fruit, they love it fresh or frozen. And it doesn't come in the form of poison like some treats that are tagged as healthy. You can even make your own with peanut butter or pumpkin

OP
ddrahota

ddrahota

May 24, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thank you so much for you help.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.

Madluxor

May 29, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lumen
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.

How long does it take for the pumpkin to help settle the stomach and firm up the pups stool?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
It works fairly fast,,, day or two. Obviously varies with each bully and the reason their stool is loose.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I'm glad someone started this thread and I hope my jumping in is okay!
In the past with our first bully and even with Oliver, we have plenty of experience switching from dry to dry and even from dry to wet.
(Just to be clear: we aren't food switchers. Oliver has only been on 2 foods in 2 years.)
My question is: when switching from a wet (canned) food to a new canned brand, would the same hold true? Mix new into old?
Oliver has been on canned for a few months due to esophagus issues and is having massive issues with loose stool & anal leakage. I believe this is because
this brand (Merrick) is too soupy for him. (adding pumpkin isn't helping) We are about to start a new, more Pâté consistency food (Blue Buffalo) but haven't changed yet.
Soooo, should the old canned and new canned be mixed with the same sort of ratio as one would do with dry food?
PS: Sorry for jumping in but figured this would be better than started a duplicate thread!!!
:)

PS: [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - the photo at the bottom of your post is awesome. Your bully in that picture looks SO MUCH like Oliver!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm glad someone started this thread and I hope my jumping in is okay!
In the past with our first bully and even with Oliver, we have plenty of experience switching from dry to dry and even from dry to wet.
(Just to be clear: we aren't food switchers. Oliver has only been on 2 foods in 2 years.)
My question is: when switching from a wet (canned) food to a new canned brand, would the same hold true? Mix new into old?
Oliver has been on canned for a few months due to esophagus issues and is having massive issues with loose stool & anal leakage. I believe this is because
this brand (Merrick) is too soupy for him. (adding pumpkin isn't helping) We are about to start a new, more Pâté consistency food (Blue Buffalo) but haven't changed yet.
Soooo, should the old canned and new canned be mixed with the same sort of ratio as one would do with dry food?
PS: Sorry for jumping in but figured this would be better than started a duplicate thread!!!
:)

PS: @BruceP - the photo at the bottom of your post is awesome. Your bully in that picture looks SO MUCH like Oliver!

FIrst I'll say.."I dont know" then add I dont know why dry or wet would make a difference as to the ratio used during the switch.
And even tho HRH and your baby are not patterned the same I agree, they do have quite a similar appearance.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.