Thread: Pink Face

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Default Pink Face

Happy Wednesday!

I've noticed Otis' face is a getting a little more pink everyday. One of his folds on the side of his face, and his nose rope is developing some sort of flaky crust. He has been on FirstMate seafood formula for about a month. The only thing that has changed recently is that I've been giving him new treats (Wet Nose). I asked the vet and she just said to keep an eye on it. Any suggestions on what to do or what it is?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pink Face

I would stop the treats to see if it clears up. clean the area with a damp cloth , dry it and apply just a small dab of Desitin
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I would stop the treats to see if it clears up. clean the area with a damp cloth , dry it and apply just a small dab of Desitin
    That would be my first step as well. If it doesn't clear up you'll need to find another food.

I took a look at what's in your food since I'd never heard of that brand. It doesn't look too bad however, some EBs can't handle potatoes (it can cause yeast problems) which is the first ingredient and some can't handle fish (usually salmon though).

Hopefully it will be the treats. If you go to the heath and nutrition section you can find food ratings and lots of stuff about what folks around here like.
    Last edited by linwhite; 05-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@cowsmom Lyn and Sherry gave you some great info.... i tagged cowsmom for more food insight for you too. But, pink face usually means some sensitivity to a food... my girl turns bright pink from chicken and salmon and she has yeast issues which potatoes add to that problem so i have to avoid those too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    @cowsmom Lyn and Sherry gave you some great info.... i tagged cowsmom for more food insight for you too. But, pink face usually means some sensitivity to a food... my girl turns bright pink from chicken and salmon and she has yeast issues which potatoes add to that problem so i have to avoid those too.
    Thanks everyone!!! I'll stop the treats for a bit to see if I notice any sort of improvement. IF it is his food is FROMM safe? Both their beef and pork have potato in it, but I think it's like 5-8th ingredient.

Does yeast have a smell?? I've heard of fritos-feet, but he's starting to smell like...wet stink socks, even after I bathe him.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shahster View Post
    Thanks everyone!!! I'll stop the treats for a bit to see if I notice any sort of improvement. IF it is his food is FROMM safe? Both their beef and pork have potato in it, but I think it's like 5-8th ingredient.

Does yeast have a smell?? I've heard of fritos-feet, but he's starting to smell like...wet stink socks, even after I bathe him.
    Fromm has a new flavor ... Pork and Peas.... no white potatoes, no grains!! Banks has been on it for about a month so far , excellent results. yeast has a nasty they paws will smell like fritos, yes. ears have a different smell that i can not think of a word for and the folds will have a sour smell
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I too have been feeding the Fromm Pork and Peas. All five are having really good results, and they like it
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

I'm guessing it's yeast then because the smell is coming from his face. I noticed when he started the FirstMate his folds had a lighter colour gunk (the same as it is now), but maybe it's crusting and pink because it's not mixed with icky royal canin anymore. I'm going to buy some FROMM today. Hopefully that'll solve all my problems!

THANKS EVERYONE!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok so im as usual but i wondered how your baby is now? you can get some duoxo pads for the face or just anywhere you have a problem with yeast or bacteria. some here use apple cidar vinegar n water mixed 1/2 n 1/2 for yeast to and i make a new batch every time cause if i let it sit and use later it burns sarah. duoxo also has a great shampoo that will help for skin issues i think its duoxo ps shampoo or something like that. so did you get the fromm? i hope it helps.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    ok so im as usual but i wondered how your baby is now? you can get some duoxo pads for the face or just anywhere you have a problem with yeast or bacteria. some here use apple cidar vinegar n water mixed 1/2 n 1/2 for yeast to and i make a new batch every time cause if i let it sit and use later it burns sarah. duoxo also has a great shampoo that will help for skin issues i think its duoxo ps shampoo or something like that. so did you get the fromm? i hope it helps.
    I did have some malacetic (sp?) wipes, so I use that AND the apple cider vinegar. He's looking a bit better, there's hair growth now, still a bit pink. He's not fully on FROMM yet because I don't want his stummy upset. I'll go look for that shampoo and see if that helps him too, maybe it'll get rid of his smelly odour!

Thank you!!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

With my EB, Maximus, POTATOES are the culprit, and I had to search around a lot to find a dog food that did not have Potatoes in it - not only one type, but 3 types of potatoes in one form or another, so all the wipes in the world did not help as long as he was on a diet where Potatoes was in the food. Once I got him on a Limited Ingredient Diet without Potatoes, his skin cleared up and the "pinkness" in his face and folds disappeared.

Real Name
    Angie D'Accursio
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Santino
    Likes (Received)

I also switched to Fromms Pork & Peas with great success!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads