Pink Face

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Happy Wednesday!

I've noticed Otis' face is a getting a little more pink everyday. One of his folds on the side of his face, and his nose rope is developing some sort of flaky crust. He has been on FirstMate seafood formula for about a month. The only thing that has changed recently is that I've been giving him new treats (Wet Nose). I asked the vet and she just said to keep an eye on it. Any suggestions on what to do or what it is?

:thanks:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I would stop the treats to see if it clears up. clean the area with a damp cloth , dry it and apply just a small dab of Desitin

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I would stop the treats to see if it clears up. clean the area with a damp cloth , dry it and apply just a small dab of Desitin

That would be my first step as well. If it doesn't clear up you'll need to find another food.

I took a look at what's in your food since I'd never heard of that brand. It doesn't look too bad however, some EBs can't handle potatoes (it can cause yeast problems) which is the first ingredient and some can't handle fish (usually salmon though).

Hopefully it will be the treats. If you go to the heath and nutrition section you can find food ratings and lots of stuff about what folks around here like.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Lyn and Sherry gave you some great info.... i tagged cowsmom for more food insight for you too. But, pink face usually means some sensitivity to a food... my girl turns bright pink from chicken and salmon and she has yeast issues which potatoes add to that problem so i have to avoid those too.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
@cowsmom Lyn and Sherry gave you some great info.... i tagged cowsmom for more food insight for you too. But, pink face usually means some sensitivity to a food... my girl turns bright pink from chicken and salmon and she has yeast issues which potatoes add to that problem so i have to avoid those too.

Thanks everyone!!! I'll stop the treats for a bit to see if I notice any sort of improvement. IF it is his food is FROMM safe? Both their beef and pork have potato in it, but I think it's like 5-8th ingredient.

Does yeast have a smell?? I've heard of fritos-feet, but he's starting to smell like...wet stink socks, even after I bathe him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone!!! I'll stop the treats for a bit to see if I notice any sort of improvement. IF it is his food is FROMM safe? Both their beef and pork have potato in it, but I think it's like 5-8th ingredient.

Does yeast have a smell?? I've heard of fritos-feet, but he's starting to smell like...wet stink socks, even after I bathe him.

Fromm has a new flavor ... Pork and Peas.... no white potatoes, no grains!! Banks has been on it for about a month so far , excellent results. yeast has a nasty they paws will smell like fritos, yes. ears have a different smell that i can not think of a word for and the folds will have a sour smell

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I too have been feeding the Fromm Pork and Peas. All five are having really good results, and they like it

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I'm guessing it's yeast then because the smell is coming from his face. I noticed when he started the FirstMate his folds had a lighter colour gunk (the same as it is now), but maybe it's crusting and pink because it's not mixed with icky royal canin anymore. I'm going to buy some FROMM today. Hopefully that'll solve all my problems!

THANKS EVERYONE!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so im as usual but i wondered how your baby is now? you can get some duoxo pads for the face or just anywhere you have a problem with yeast or bacteria. some here use apple cidar vinegar n water mixed 1/2 n 1/2 for yeast to and i make a new batch every time cause if i let it sit and use later it burns sarah. duoxo also has a great shampoo that will help for skin issues i think its duoxo ps shampoo or something like that. so did you get the fromm? i hope it helps. :)

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
ok so im as usual but i wondered how your baby is now? you can get some duoxo pads for the face or just anywhere you have a problem with yeast or bacteria. some here use apple cidar vinegar n water mixed 1/2 n 1/2 for yeast to and i make a new batch every time cause if i let it sit and use later it burns sarah. duoxo also has a great shampoo that will help for skin issues i think its duoxo ps shampoo or something like that. so did you get the fromm? i hope it helps. :)

I did have some malacetic (sp?) wipes, so I use that AND the apple cider vinegar. He's looking a bit better, there's hair growth now, still a bit pink. He's not fully on FROMM yet because I don't want his stummy upset. I'll go look for that shampoo and see if that helps him too, maybe it'll get rid of his smelly odour!

Thank you!!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
With my EB, Maximus, POTATOES are the culprit, and I had to search around a lot to find a dog food that did not have Potatoes in it - not only one type, but 3 types of potatoes in one form or another, so all the wipes in the world did not help as long as he was on a diet where Potatoes was in the food. Once I got him on a Limited Ingredient Diet without Potatoes, his skin cleared up and the "pinkness" in his face and folds disappeared.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!

Agree and this procedure works really well, especially the drying and the Desitin.
But my vet just cautioned against Desitin if it contains zinc (ours has 40%).
Should we be worried? Is there a non-zinc Desitin?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
you don't want your pet to ingest the zinc , that's why I just use a very small dab not enough to leave a coat. just a tiny bit. and rub it in. I used to use on the chin too until I found out about the zinc and being ingested. We haven't ever had problems with it though. keeping the chin dry has cleared up any ance

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.