Help Needed! When to transition to a new food?

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem is 10-1/2 weeks old and when we picked him up from the breeder we were told that that they were feeding Purina Puppy Chow, but they suggested that we switch to Royal Canin. During the transition, it was also suggested that we feed a 50/50 ratio of old to new food for about a week. With this in mind, we fed him the Purina Puppy Chow for several days, then switched to a 50/50 ratio of the old food and the new Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy (this began on Thursday). He is eating well, but seems to be pooping very often and his stools are very loose.

I know that everyone recommends Fromm foods, but I did not realize this when we first got the puppy. I would like to switch to a higher quality food, but it cannot be good to make multiple food switches in a short period of time. I am looking for some guidance as to when we should switch to feeding Fromm and possibly what to do in the interim for the loose stools.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I switched Pickle but I did it in small quanities of 1/4 a cup of new food for a few days at a time until her belly was ok. Then to a 1/3, then 1/2 until the new food was 100%. But each step was a small gradual amount. It took about nine days before I had her switched completely.

It's very easy to make them have loose stools but I also used a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) in her breakfast to help tighten up her stool. Just don't give to much because the pumpkin is fiber and can keep it loose, that's why I just added it to her breakfast.

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
[MENTION=7945]xsubsailor[/MENTION] - Thanks for the info. I was trying to follow the breeder's recommendation, but I guess that the 50/50 ratio was too big of a jump. I will try the canned pumpkin and see if that helps.

Any recommendation on how long I should wait before transitioning to Fromm?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wait until his poo is formed again, at least a couple weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well first thing is to stop with the switch and stay at 50/50 till the :poo: is better. use canned pumpkin one teaspoon each meal and see if things firm up. then i would proceed on with the switch to 75 new / 25 old for a bit then completely switch over. i would wait like a few weeks before trying to switch again to fromm and let the tummy settle. if the :poo: continues to be like it is or gets worse at any time i would think about backing off the new food and going back to what you were using then switching to fromm.

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Thank you all so much! I will follow your recommendations!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.