When to switch to adult feeding

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hey, rockstars. I have a question for you. In a couple weeks Remi turns 11 months. I know bulldogs aren't fully mature until 2, but when is he no longer considered a puppy and when should i start lowering the amount of food I'm giving him?

And would he be considered an obese/less active dog, or an adult, active dog? Decisions, decisions!!

We're on NVI limited lamb diet, all stages, and we plan on sticking with it.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i can't comment on the amount of food but peeps have told me that you can start feeding adult food as early as 6 months and 8 months is sticking in my mind. there were phases of puppy growth that i supplemented with calcium tho.
in general i think bulldog owners feed much less than package says, and with high quality food they eat much less anyway, but you already knew that ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i believe 6 months is when they are switched to twice a day feeding and i feed 3/4 cup twice a day but some feed a cup twice a day. depends on the food and the bully really or whether its a male or female. i believe males get a bit more than females. if he sleeps more than hes up then id say he is a less active dog if he plays or is walked alot then id say active.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I switched my boys to twice a day feedings (1cup twice daily), when they turned 6months old. Btw, i'm feeding them the NVI Lamb LID too and they seem to be doing well on it. Glad to know Remi is too!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I switched my boys to twice a day feedings (1cup twice daily), when they turned 6months old. Btw, i'm feeding them the NVI Lamb LID too and they seem to be doing well on it. Glad to know Remi is too!

Crazy! I feed Remi 1 cup 3x a day. He doesn't look fat, but he is definitely 50 pounds already. Any one else??

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I feed ernie 3/4 cup 3x a day and he is already on adult food. I put him on fromm beef fritta at a pretty young age. I had read that with bulldogs you have to be so careful with the weight that sometimes the pup food is too fatty. I am going to 2x a day next month...probably 1 1/4 a feeding...right now he is very active.

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
It like you guys are reading my mind. I checked in today to see if I should start Pickle 2x a day feeding next month (she will be 6 months) and then blam . .
I feed Pickle 3x a day at 3/4 cup of NVI Duck Meal and Turkey Meal, on the weekend she gets some Raw Duck Formula. I am also going with the Lamb for her next bag of food but for the 2x feedings I plan to go with 1 cup of food each meal. She is very active plus she gets some treats through out the day.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Yesterday we lowered his lunch portion to 1/2 a cup. DH swore Remi had tears in his eyes. He was like "Okay, where is the rest of it?!"

Will start feeding 2/3 cup 3x a day. Remi is still pretty active. (2 cups a day)

Does anyone still feed their bully 3x a day? I work from home so doing 2 feedings seems unnecessary - or is there a reason for it?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola just stopped wanting to eat lunch, and stopped wanting to wake up at lunchtime to do lunchtime business so we went to two feedings then. she never wasfood motivated though. I think the major difference is the schedule change. they really don't need to fuel up on calories three times a day.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.