JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Looking for a high calorie supplement for Sally to get some weight back on her. She’s quite the finiky eater. She’s 7, a rescue and quite thin. Any suggestions would be great! I want to get something fast and will probably stop at Petsmart and get something there too. They have a supplement there that we used for Jack. I’m picking up some Fromm canned food for her tonight on my way home. She barely has any teeth too so the canned will hopefully entice her to get more.

From Petsmart - GNC Ultra Mega High Calorie Booster for Adult.

Guaranteed Analysis
Represents Minimum Levels Per 1/4 Teaspoon (1.25g)
• Crude Protein (min) - 0.15%
• Crude Fat (min) - 35%
• Crude Fiber (max) - 4%
• Moisture (max) - 30%
• Calcium - 0.6%
• Phosphorus - 0.5%
• Potassium - 0.8%
• Sodium - 0.3%
• Chloride - 1.3%
• Magnesium - 0.2%
• Iron - 3 mg
• Copper - 0.1 mg
• Manganese - 0.25 mg
• Zinc - 1.5 mg
• Iodine - 0.05 mg
• Vitamin A - 1000 IU
• Vitamin D - 100 IU
• Vitamin E - 2 IU
• Thiamine - 0.8 mg
• Riboflavin - 1 mg
• Niacin - 10 mg
• Pyridoxine - 0.1 mg
• Vitamin B-12 - 0.5 mcg
• Ascorbic Acid* - 1.2 mg
• (Source of Vitamin C) *Not Recognized As An Essential Nutrient By The AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calorie Content (Calculated):
The calorie content (ME) is 4,060 kcal/kg or 5.07 kcal/¼ tsp.

Ingredients:
Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Malt Syrup, Molasses, Potassium Chloride, Trisodium Phosphate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Sodium Chloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Carbonate, Chicken Flavor (Artificial), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ascorbic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Potassium Sorbate and Sorbic Acid (Preservatives).

From Drs. Foster & Smith - Dyne High Calorie Liquid Dietary Supplement for Dogs

Adult Dogs: 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) per 20 to 30 pounds body weight 3 times daily.

Ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Sucrose, Non-fat Dry Milk, Glycerine, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Egg White, Vanilla Extract, Pectin, Gum Arabic, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Dexpanthenol, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin-5 Phosphate, FD&C Yellow #5, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamine (Vitamin B12).

Guaranteed Analysis: per ounce:
Crude Protein 1.9%
Crude Fat 48.3%
Moisture 18%
Vitmain A 1790 IU
Vitamin D3 186 IU
Vitamin C 175 IU
Vitamin E 4.5 IU
Thiamine 0.18mg
Riboflavin 0.25 mg
Vitamin B6 0.18 mg
Folic Acid 0.04 mg
Vitamin B12 0.71 mcg

* High-calorie supplement for animals recovering from illness
* Easy-to-give liquid also provides extra nutrition for puppies
* Stamina booster supports peak performance in working dogs

Dyne is a delicious, easy way to provide high-calorie nutrition for dogs recovering from illness, working dogs, or pregnant and lactating bitches. Vanilla-flavored liquid dietary supplement contains 150 calories per ounce in a palatable, easy-to-administer formula that dogs lap up quickly. Can be fed orally with a syringe or dropper or added directly to drinking water. Provides high-quality calorie intake for recovering animals or underweight puppies that are not able to eat solid food

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], I want to commend you on your research for Sally to meet her needs, and going the extra mile for her. Only those who have opened their home up for adoption of a senior could understand her needs. I'm sorry I have no recommendations to add to your search, But am off the chain in Respect of what you've done, and what your enduring with her sickness, getting her healthy. Some things I've noticed out of my seniors i've adopted, is the Love they give in return for the care of having a home, love, and respect is immeasurable. The time and care you will give her in her senior days, will be hard for anyone other than those familiar with these missions, understanding!! Including friends, family, and even spouses sometimes. I found my vet in times was at a lack of understanding, your making the calls that determine her life and well being, and at her age are significant decisions. She has stolen your heart already, and your in the process of earning every last ounce of love, respect and admiration she has left to give…. At her age, she probably will never know again what your providing her, It's her last chance in life to give it all, and receive everything from you… that she is so deserving of. I know with mine it was the undying commitment between us both of "Unconditional Love" and the day I laid her to rest, my only comfort in my life, was I never let her down…NO MATTER WHAT" we never gave up, we were there for each other, She gave me the greatest gift in life, knowing how much Love and loyalty really meant to her, and I gave her my promise to do whatever was necessary to bring her happiness, wellness, Love and loyalty beyond anyones comprehension, When ever anyone else gave her the thumbs down, I said, lets try it…. The reward as far as I'm concerned was her undying Love, and thinking everyday my challenge today is to plug the hole in her heart, my challenge is to make sure she's happy, loved, respected, and healthy NO MATTER WHAT, I accomplished that with Blondie, which drained me in more ways than one, and watching her look up to me knowing I was there for her everyday, in every way was payment enough. Doing what your doing, often goes without the Respect, Support, and Understanding this task deserves, But know from one who has done exactly what your doing, it's not going by without notice, understanding, and respect, by Us and by Sally !! Thank You for your undying work with Sally, this breed and for us an inspiration for these pets. I just wanted to share this with you, my feeling on you and Sally without unveiling too much information about Blondie, which I took as a personal challenge, personal commitment, and personal achievement from a person who truly loves their Pet!!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awwww Dave, you're going to make my :cry: That was beautifully said. As she was laying on the couch by my side last night sleeping I just looked at her and thought to myself, "you are loved and safe in my arms now." I dang near teared up. The old ones have always touched my heart. It nearly killed me inside when Ace passed last year and it's wonderful, so wonderful to have that old soul back in the house. I mentioned to Sandy [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] last night we were talking on the phone that Wilson, Emma & Jack are the last puppies we'll ever have. From his point on I, we, will open our home with another senior down the road. :heart: Thank you for your wonderful words and a tidbit about Blondie too.
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION]

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Jeannie, how about peanut butter or cheese? just thinking of some foods that are higher in fat and calories that she could eat as well. I'm not familiar with the supplements tho so others will have to chime in on that one. I hope you do find something that's a good fit for her.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henny, she wants nothing to do with either, tried both already. I'm not too familiar with them either, but remembered we used the Petsmart one for Jack when we first got him. He was so bony too. My thinking (and anyone feel free to correct me, nicely though or I'll bonked ya) is that it will get that weight on her that she so needs. I'm sorta winging it here. :nervous:
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
coconut oil is 120 calories per tablespoon. You can add some of that to her meals.
the chicken fat I mentioned earlier is another great way to add some calories. Take all the fat off the chicken, boil it down and let it cool. All that goopy stuff we usually spoon off and throw away? Great calories! The butcher at my local A&P used to give me bags of it for Abby because they normally just throw it away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ice cream, milkshakes, vanilla cake ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion all those are OK when recovering and instead of food, but for fattening up....if there is some kind of fatty, rich, full of good protein food that she likes, rather feed that. And that even raw...? My picky Usko just loves pork tongue, raw ofcourse...

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
you could even try eggs over easy...Lola loves yolk, hard boiled or runny

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the ideas/suggestions.

There's so much you don't know about their past - I just want her to be healthy fast like my Hooligans. I will try eggs too. She doesn't like cottage cheese, already tried that. I imagine her taste buds will improve with a bit of time.

I stopped by one a specialty pet store on my way home and got her 6 cans of Fromm; beef, chicken & pork. She loved it!! She ate by herself shortly after I got home. I gave her a bit more mixed in with kibble and she worked way around it but ate a bit of the kibble cause it was stuck to the it. Then when the Hooligans ate, I fed her again and she ate almost 1/4 of kibble with a 1/2 cup more of canned. She burped!! Best sound I heard! :clap:

They had Tomlyn Nutri-Cal so I did get that. I just feel I need something fast that I can at least get her a jump start.

I have chicken out and will boil that to get and save the chicken fat. She'll love that.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], you can also try some good beef liver for her. It's high in fat/calories and my guys just love it when i put a little bit in their food (well, they love just about anything), but that's another food to try if you're still looking for ideas. With liver a little goes a long way so you don't need to give her too much.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Henny. I'm stopping by the store tonight to get a few more things. I'll pick that too. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online