ADD ONS

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I've been reading the post about adds on in the food. Can you guys tell me the add ONS you put in their food and the benefits to it. I've never really done the add ons and if they are really important I need to start. Thanks in advance...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Every bully is different in its needs and tolerance. But some people aid their bullies health with certain add ons as you called them. We give Princess Gracie a few items:
1.Fish oil..... good for their coat and general well being
2. Cranberry pill....urinary tract health
3. Benedryl...... allergy relief
4. Diatomaceous Earth...... DE kills fleas, ticks, other creepy crawlies and is good for joint health and about a billion other things.
HRH gets this stuff mixed into her breakfast daily.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Every bully is different in its needs and tolerance. But some people aid their bullies health with certain add ons as you called them. We give Princess Gracie a few items:
1.Fish oil..... good for their coat and general well being
2. Cranberry pill....urinary tract health
3. Benedryl...... allergy relief
4. Diatomaceous Earth...... DE kills fleas, ticks, other creepy crawlies and is good for joint health and about a billion other things.
HRH gets this stuff mixed into her breakfast daily.
Can I get those things anywhere. I've never done it but it won't hurt if I do once in a while.

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
We're new here, too, but Gus eats Fromm Beef Frittata, it's an all life stages food but he is only 12 weeks so we moisten his food with a tad of warm water and supplement with flaxseed oil (1 tsp twice daily), yogurt (1 tsp twice daily). Every third day or so he also gets a tablespoon of cottage cheese. Once every couple of days he gets a half a hard boiled egg as a snack. These are just mostly to help him with a little extra fat and protein during his primary growth. We had to cut out the supplements for awhile when his stools were too soft but then it turns out the problem was the Blue Buffalo, not the supplements.

Oh, he also gets one tab a day of NuVet Plus vitamins, and LOVES them.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Things I add on to their kibble:

green beans, cottage cheese, eggs or egg whites, plain yogurt, a little parmesan cheese (not all the same day. They get their vitamins crumbled on top as well as a glucosamine/chondroitin tab.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
We're new here, too, but Gus eats Fromm Beef Frittata, it's an all life stages food but he is only 12 weeks so we moisten his food with a tad of warm water and supplement with flaxseed oil (1 tsp twice daily), yogurt (1 tsp twice daily). Every third day or so he also gets a tablespoon of cottage cheese. Once every couple of days he gets a half a hard boiled egg as a snack. These are just mostly to help him with a little extra fat and protein during his primary growth. We had to cut out the supplements for awhile when his stools were too soft but then it turns out the problem was the Blue Buffalo, not the supplements.

Oh, he also gets one tab a day of NuVet Plus vitamins, and LOVES them.
i feed zeus blue buffalo, hes always done good on it.. he loves to scarf it down .. but hes 20months so alot older that yours.. i did alot of research before we got him but some things you learn from others... :)

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Gus loved the taste of the Blue Buffalo, but he had serious toothpaste poops! We thought maybe he was getting too much dairy or something, but the poop didn't solidify till we switched his kibble. Also, our vet (who specializes in English Bulldogs, he used to breed them) said he has seen several bulldogs with iffy blood panels later in life who had been on Blue Buffalo. He specifically mentioned pancreatitis. To be fair, that was for older bulldogs, but I decided not to wait to switch him. Also Gus has an "allergic" look sometimes, the eye on the white side of his face is prone to being red and watery and he has a touch of puppy acne on the corners of his mouth, so I went right for the food recommended by folks on here as seeing the least likely to cause allergies. Gus loves the Fromm, too, by the way. We just went for his 12 week appointment and the vet said he looks fantastic, and he weighs 20 pounds already! :D I am sure lots of dogs do great on the Blue Buffalo, though!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks get add ons as needed, but I do lessen her kibble a couple days a week and give her green beans in place just to balance out her treats and maintain her weight

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Things I add on to Ace's diet of Whole Earth Farms and Fromm's kibble. Most any type of meat we are eating or otherwise. Steak, Chicken, Eggs, Cheese, Cottage cheese, yogurt, desiccated beef liver, tuna. Ace is the fastest eater for a dog or human I have ever witnessed. He can eat nearly an entire bowl of kibble with add on's in probably less than a minute or so. It's almost unbelievable. I sometimes worry about it he eats so much so fast but so far it hasn't hurt him. And when he is finished he still wants more. He is always and I mean always ready for something to eat, before meals, after meals, always.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Im glad Colossus is in such great company. Ive just started putting "add ons" on his food. Ive put a tablespoon (ok, two) of Beet Entree with his kibble a few times. Yesterday was the first time for plain yogurt, he really liked that. Might have to do that every once in a while.

Is two tablespoons of yogurt in 1 1/4 cup kibble too much?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I give all the same supplements to our guys as Bruce does.

We also give 1 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt in their morning kibble this is good for the probiotics, and digestion, we also put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, their are a lot of benefits to apple cider vinegar, it kills bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, it helps eliminate inflammation, it balances the Ph level in your body, and it helps with bad breath.

Our guys also get cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, cheese strings, oatmeal, green beans, cooked carrots, and a hard boiled egg once a week, usually on the weekend. They don't get these everyday or all at once, but they are treats, and we mix it up.

here are some more benefits of apple cider vinegar that I copied and posted from this site for you:

Benefits of Apple cider vinegar
Current Article

[replacer_a]

By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Natureā€™s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe bloodā€™s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dogā€™s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dogā€™s urine.

This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dogā€™s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.
Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your petā€™s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dogā€™s coat.
Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the ā€œmotherā€ quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection ā€”they have no health value!
Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., ā€œApple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health Systemā€, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. ā€œFolk Medicineā€, andā€œArthritis and Folk Medicineā€, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
Puotinen, C.J., ā€œThe Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Careā€ Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut

0 Comment(s)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online