After juicing pulp

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I like to make my own juice for my breakfast and I usually have the pulp of the vegetables/fruit left over. I was thinking of mixing the pulp into Pickles kibble. As long as the foods are not on the "shouldn't eat" list is there any reason not to? Seems like a waste of some really good pulp.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's prob just fiber , I don't see why you couldn't , I don't know how much though

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Sherry said... Do not see an issue ... little as a test or it will end up as Heff said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Let us know how it goes...I'll be curious if your bully will eat it. Mine are finicky when it comes to fruits and veggies...especially when lacking peanut butter or dip on them! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This shouldn't normally be a problem if you give him just a little, but like others have said, too much fibre might cause the diarrhea, which could actually cause your dog not to absorb as much of his food, due to more bowel movements. Also when you juice do you put the whole fruit or vegetable in? Some seeds of fruits such as apples are toxic to dogs and other animals. Apple seeds contain arsenic, and should not be given to dogs, the apple is okay but not the seeds. You also should watch how much fruit and what types you give as well because some fruits contain higher amounts of sugar, such as bananas, and should be fed less often as a treat, also fruits tend to be acidic and can cause upset tummies due to too much acid. You could try a small amount and see how he does and if he does okay, then give it once in a while, instead of everyday, and this should be okay. I also juice everyday and make smoothies, but we use the Vitamix and so the whole fruit or vegetable gets put in and the pulp, skin, and everything gets puréed in the juice, so there is no waste or pulp left behind.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
This shouldn't normally be a problem if you give him just a little, but like others have said, too much fibre might cause the diarrhea, which could actually cause your dog not to absorb as much of his food, due to more bowel movements. Also when you juice do you put the whole fruit or vegetable in? Some seeds of fruits such as apples are toxic to dogs and other animals. Apple seeds contain arsenic, and should not be given to dogs, the apple is okay but not the seeds. You also should watch how much fruit and what types you give as well because some fruits contain higher amounts of sugar, such as bananas, and should be fed less often as a treat, also fruits tend to be acidic and can cause upset tummies due to too much acid. You could try a small amount and see how he does and if he does okay, then give it once in a while, instead of everyday, and this should be okay. I also juice everyday and make smoothies, but we use the Vitamix and so the whole fruit or vegetable gets put in and the pulp, skin, and everything gets puréed in the juice, so there is no waste or pulp left behind.

Thanks, I also use a Vitamix when I make smoothie but as a change I do like to juice. That was a very good point with the seeds because I do juice with the seeds in (apples I skin and remove the core because I don't like them in) - I didn't think of that situation with the seeds tho. I have been giving her some pieces before I put them in the machine but only after I take the skin off and remove any type of core so she only gets the meat of the item. I get the rest. I think I will keep it that way just because I tend to mix several fruits and vegies together. She does love her carrots and apple slices but not to keen on kale or spinich.:no:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks, I also use a Vitamix when I make smoothie but as a change I do like to juice. That was a very good point with the seeds because I do juice with the seeds in (apples I skin and remove the core because I don't like them in) - I didn't think of that situation with the seeds tho. I have been giving her some pieces before I put them in the machine but only after I take the skin off and remove any type of core so she only gets the meat of the item. I get the rest. I think I will keep it that way just because I tend to mix several fruits and vegies together. She does love her carrots and apple slices but not to keen on kale or spinich.:no:

I recently got a Vitamix as well (love it, btw). I made a celery/kale/carrot/cucumber smoothie the other day and Finn tasted it and loved it. But yes, start off with small amounts to see how Pickle "responds" to it.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Gave her a tiny bit of the carrot/orange mixture and she love it. Vikinggirl brought up some good concerns such as the acid and seeds, so I will give her some as treat every now and then to see what she can handle. I don't want her to become a squirtle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online