Just curious

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
What kind of food are you guys using and do u guys notice if it helps for certain things ( like shedding, tear stains, etc).. Did you guys change to that one because a previous one didn't workout...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Food is one of the biggest guessing games for our bullies..... my girl has yeast (grains, white potato) issues, is allergic to chicken and salmon so I had to find a food with none of those ingredients. I current feed Fromm Pork and Peas and recent switched over from Fromm Beef Friattata

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
There is Just no single answer! it's the toughest nut to crack for a lot of us! And usually we have to try a few before we find the best one. Jake started on Fromm..but is doing well on Earthborn now.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
What kind of food are you guys using and do u guys notice if it helps for certain things ( like shedding, tear stains, etc).. Did you guys change to that one because a previous one didn't workout...

I picked Nature Variety Instinct Lamb LID because Remi would scratch like crazy and break out red/acne on his face and lick his feet. It was pretty obvious at that point he was allergic to chicken and beef. We supplment other fruits/veggies for snacks so he gets a ton of nutrients. Everything from bananas, broccoli stalks, beet stems, to carrots, and apples.

His poop was super runny before, in additional to all of the above, plus horrible tear stains, which prompted us to change his food. Now his poohs are small and firm.

With that being said, we also tried everything to get rid of his tear stains. We are stuck on angel eyes. We tried reducing his dosage after 3 months, but he got super stinky again and the tear stains came back. I will need to talk to the vet, but it's possible his seasonable allergies are screwing with that. It's hard to say while he's not yet 1 years old.

Good luck!!!!!!

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I picked Nature Variety Instinct Lamb LID because Remi would scratch like crazy and break out red/acne on his face and lick his feet. It was pretty obvious at that point he was allergic to chicken and beef. We supplment other fruits/veggies for snacks so he gets a ton of nutrients. Everything from bananas, broccoli stalks, beet stems, to carrots, and apples.

His poop was super runny before, in additional to all of the above, plus horrible tear stains, which prompted us to change his food. Now his poohs are small and firm.

With that being said, we also tried everything to get rid of his tear stains. We are stuck on angel eyes. We tried reducing his dosage after 3 months, but he got super stinky again and the tear stains came back. I will need to talk to the vet, but it's possible his seasonable allergies are screwing with that. It's hard to say while he's not yet 1 years old.

Good luck!!!!!!

Do u give him bottled water I know that helped us with the tear stains. I give mine blue buffalo and he's in great shape. He has been itchy lately but I think that's because of the heat. He is an inside dog but he will go out once in a while. He has a really nice soft coat but he does shed. So I was wondering about what others are using. I do like BB though.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Food is one of the biggest guessing games for our bullies..... my girl has yeast (grains, white potato) issues, is allergic to chicken and salmon so I had to find a food with none of those ingredients. I current feed Fromm Pork and Peas and recent switched over from Fromm Beef Friattata
Aww that suck. My zeus hadn't showed any issues he's 20 months just recently noticed he has a little issue on one of his toes. I'm thinking its from the warmer weather. It started when it began to heat up. He is inside but we still go outside.. But I don't think it's due to his food,.. I heard white dogs tend to have skin allergy issues don't know if that's true.

TonysMiss

Feb 12, 2013
Seattle Area
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Bailey
Funny thing coming across this thread........I was JUST going to ask for some suggestions because there IS so many of them out there. We kept Miss B on Royal Canine and she does have a few issues. One is she has some spots on her back that her hair has fallen out. I haven't noticed her really scratching anything out of the norm, so I don't know that it is really bothering her much. I am also noticing her tear stains are becoming quite dark. She will be 6 months old on the 19th of May and is about 40 lbs. She may be a bit heavier now, we haven't weighed her for the last week or so.
Seeing what we are feeding her is a 2 star food is a little concerning. I know that it depends on the dog and just because it's rated higher doesn't necessarily mean it's better for her. However, I want her to be getting the best possible nutrition without having to pull out of retirement!!! lol
Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

PS
This site is quite amazing. I'm always shocked at how much information you guys have and LOVE seeing all the pictures of the meatballs!!

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Funny thing coming across this thread........I was JUST going to ask for some suggestions because there IS so many of them out there. We kept Miss B on Royal Canine and she does have a few issues. One is she has some spots on her back that her hair has fallen out. I haven't noticed her really scratching anything out of the norm, so I don't know that it is really bothering her much. I am also noticing her tear stains are becoming quite dark. She will be 6 months old on the 19th of May and is about 40 lbs. She may be a bit heavier now, we haven't weighed her for the last week or so.
Seeing what we are feeding her is a 2 star food is a little concerning. I know that it depends on the dog and just because it's rated higher doesn't necessarily mean it's better for her. However, I want her to be getting the best possible nutrition without having to pull out of retirement!!! lol
Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

PS
This site is quite amazing. I'm always shocked at how much information you guys have and LOVE seeing all the pictures of the meatballs!!
Honestly when I meant just curious I really did mean it. I feed mine blue buffalo he is in great shape .. His coat is good. I was reading another post and decided to ask what others are using. So maybe introduce your pup to that one see if u like it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

PS

I think to see the real difference in the foods and WHY they get the ratings they do might help! Royal Canin is so full of fillers and junk..that's why it's a 2 Star. The more "stuff" in a food, the less real nutrition and the greater chance there is for allergies to what's in it! There are a few less expensive foods and they would be a big improvement over the Royal Canin.i will tag @ Cowsmom..she's a wiz with food! Also..we have an article on understanding the ratings of dog food. Great info!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Aww that suck. My zeus hadn't showed any issues he's 20 months just recently noticed he has a little issue on one of his toes. I'm thinking its from the warmer weather. It started when it began to heat up. He is inside but we still go outside.. But I don't think it's due to his food,.. I heard white dogs tend to have skin allergy issues don't know if that's true.

Color is not a factor, in my opinion, just white babies tend to show it more... nothing to hide the irritation. It could be grass/environmental allergies too.... Banks is also allergic to everything green (grass, weeds, molds, ome tress).... Benedryl 2x a day (1 mg per lb)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Do u give him bottled water I know that helped us with the tear stains. I give mine blue buffalo and he's in great shape. He has been itchy lately but I think that's because of the heat. He is an inside dog but he will go out once in a while. He has a really nice soft coat but he does shed. So I was wondering about what others are using. I do like BB though.

We tried that for 3 months, but unfortunately the tear stains were worse than ever. We tried filter water as well. BUT I'm not sure if I've ever given him spring. We would just get whatever seemed better for the environment.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.