cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn has been itching his little body for the last several days. It's not fleas, it's not hives...I think it's gotta be his diet. He eats a full blown high grain diet, both in his regular meals and snacks. After reading a little about how these can harbor yeast and contribute to the growth of yeast, I'm having 2nd thoughts on homecooking for him and switching him to a good kibble. He was on Fromm in the past and did well on it; I don't recall him having the itchies back then. Since I'm planning to eliminate potatoes as well as the grain, is there a Fromm or other good quality kibble (doesn't necessarily have to be Fromm), that you can recommend that doesn't contain these? I see that sweet potato is listed in some foods, but not white potato, but doesn't sweet potato also produce a lot of sugar, or is that just better than white potato overall?

Thanks for your help!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is on Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb (they also have turkey & duck). No grains, no potatoes & one protein so it is so easy to keep track of if they have a reaction to it. He does well on it! Good luck!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston is on Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb (they also have turkey & duck). No grains, no potatoes & one protein so it is so easy to keep track of if they have a reaction to it. He does well on it! Good luck!!

Thanku Lauren! they were on NVI in the past as well and liked it a lot. I will check that one out :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I switched Banks from Beef Fritatta to the new Fromm flavor Pork and Peas.... no grains, chicken or potatoes!! She is doing well on it so far... we are on week 3

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], that one sounds good too. It does have sweet potato listed but that seems to be less problematic than the white potatoes. Finn's diet has been white rice, pasta, a little white potato, oatmeal. So any reduction in these grains will hopefully help him. I hate to see him itching like he's doing now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The new flavor from FROMM sounds pretty good, it have sweet potato in it but it is the 10th ingredient so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. We are feeding the Salmon A La Veg, which too has sweet potato but ours are doing well on it.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just checked the place I used to get their kibble from and they'll be getting the Fromm peas/pork on 5/13. Is that a new flavor? Christine, how'd you get yours already...are you using Petflow?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks @2BullyMama, that one sounds good too. It does have sweet potato listed but that seems to be less problematic than the white potatoes. Finn's diet has been white rice, pasta, a little white potato, oatmeal. So any reduction in these grains will hopefully help him. I hate to see him itching like he's doing now.

Banks is normally a yeasty mess, but since putting her on the Fromm... it is almost all gone. The Frittata did she did well on, but I switch to Pork/Peas because of the no white potato -- I'll keep you posted on her progress

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OOhhhh the dreaded food question, Well Vegas was on NVI Salmon for almost 2 years and did great, then not so much, switched him to Earthbourne Holistic Bison, did great, then not so much....Switched him to Earthbourne Lamb about 7-8 weeks ago and he is doing fabulous, no itchy skin, no tear stains. I am just crossing my fingers that this is the one. But from his past and knowing him it is just a matter of time. It stinks that it takes a while to figure out if a food is right or not. Good Luck!!!
Oh and on another note, Pharmaseb shampoo helps him so much with the "itchies"

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im confused as to why you dont just cut out some of the starches you are feeding and keep home cooking. cut out the potatoes and pasta and add in some veggies instead or more meat. or use brown rice instead of white rice with the oatmeal. ok here are some foods with no potatoes. nutrisca, nvi limited ingredient, of course the fromm pork n peas, nutri source has a grain free lamb, do you need more i can get more. :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven is on Merricks B4 Grain's new pork flavor. It does have sweet potato so I am not sure if it something you would be interested in. She is not breaking out in hives so that is a plus. I do notice that she is a bit itchy here and there right now as we come inside from the yard. Allergies are miserable right now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online