General Question Probiotics

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi Everyone! We are thinking about starting to add some probiotics to Winston's food. Any suggestions on what to use?? Thanks!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
there is one food , that guarantees in writing,in the guaranteed food analysis, the Minimum amount of probiotics. NO ONE ELSE puts it writing,(the guaranty)so you KNOW that that much is in the food!!!! only a trace amount is needed by law to say it is in the food. but in writing --you have a written guaranty in the guaranteed food analysis section !!
and it does start with a live culture as well. the food is FROMM. it is the only one I recommend that contains all the things dogs need to be a healthy BULLDOG !!! nothing else is needed , but added fruits and veggies are recommended !!
try the 4 star line first, 1 meat and veggies and fruits
then you can go to the GOLD it has several meats , and then veggies and fruits, that way --no dog will grow intolerant to any 1 meat !!
6 to 8 weeks will show an improved disposition, coat,all around alertness.my 15 yr old neighbors Yorkie, started acting like a pup again.
and 14 -15 yrs of research has payed off , keeping mine and many others out of the vets office !!and no skin issues either.
good luck.

Hi Everyone! We are thinking about starting to add some probiotics to Winston's food. Any suggestions on what to use?? Thanks!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
there is one food , that guarantees in writing,in the guaranteed food analysis, the Minimum amount of probiotics. NO ONE ELSE puts it writing,(the guaranty)so you KNOW that that much is in the food!!!! only a trace amount is needed by law to say it is in the food. but in writing --you have a written guaranty in the guaranteed food analysis section !!
and it does start with a live culture as well. the food is FROMM. it is the only one I recommend that contains all the things dogs need to be a healthy BULLDOG !!! nothing else is needed , but added fruits and veggies are recommended !!
try the 4 star line first, 1 meat and veggies and fruits
then you can go to the GOLD it has several meats , and then veggies and fruits, that way --no dog will grow intolerant to any 1 meat !!
6 to 8 weeks will show an improved disposition, coat,all around alertness.my 15 yr old neighbors Yorkie, started acting like a pup again.
and 14 -15 yrs of research has payed off , keeping mine and many others out of the vets office !!and no skin issues either.
good luck.

Thanks so much for the info! I feed Winston natures variety instinct limited ingredient lamb. Unfortunately Winston is allergic to carrots & has a slight allergy to peas which makes it very difficult to find a food for him! As much as I would LOVE to feed him the FROMM line, they all have carrots so it is not an option for us. :nope: He does very well on his food and I just want to add probiotics to help with keeping yeast away!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Thanks so much for the info! I feed Winston natures variety instinct limited ingredient lamb. Unfortunately Winston is allergic to carrots & has a slight allergy to peas which makes it very difficult to find a food for him! As much as I would LOVE to feed him the FROMM line, they all have carrots so it is not an option for us. :nope: He does very well on his food and I just want to add probiotics to help with keeping yeast away!

If you're dealing with yeast, don't forget the ACV (vinegar) in his water that should help alot.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We just mix in one cap of ACV with Bacon's food. The other thing we did as a treat was to freeze yogurt and pumpkin in ice cube trays. Works wonders. We also got salmon oil pills that we put in with his dinner every night, it made his coat so much softer

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Yes in the water. About one tablespoon per gallon or maybe a teaspoon per quart. You may have to start with less and work up to that amount if your pup doesn't like the taste at first. It made a whole lot of difference for my yeast queen. What you're doing is changing the dog's Ph balance enough to stop the yeast from growing. Lots of folks around here use it. Also, you can add it to your dog's rinse water after bathing if you're dealing with a lot of skin issues. If he chews his feet, add some to some warm water and rinse his feet off or soak them for a bit in it. You can use any old vinegar for any of this but most folks use Apple Cider Vinegar (AVC) with the 'Mother" in it for drinking (Braggs is a more commonly found brand. Check with the Natural Foods in your grocery). The point of the ACV is that the fancy stuff has other nutrients in it that enhance it's value.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have also added a couple tablespoons of Non-fat, plain Greek Yogurt to Tonka's food for extra pro-biotics. I believe you can use regular yogurt as well.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much everyone!! I am going to try mixing the acv in tonight since I have that at home!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Everyone gave great advice. We also feed Fromms Beef to our guys, Blossom is allergic to Chicken and grains, so this food is good for her. Since the food you use works and he is allergic to carrots, then I would stay with the food that works and that he tolerates. It's hard enough to find a food that works, so stick with it. We add a Tbsp of plain unsweetened or plain Greek yogurt to their kibble every morning, and we also,add 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water everyday or you can add it to their kibble, we also add salmon oil for the Omega oils for their coats and skin, we add this to their evening meal. They get one cup in the morning, around 6:30 am and another cup in the evening at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Our guys get cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, cheese strings, cooked oatmeal, about twice a week, not everyday and not all at once, but different variations of the treats, and they also get a hard boiled egg each on the weekend.

Last edited:
OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Everyone gave great advice. We also feed Fromms Beef to our guys, Vlossom is allergic to Chicken and grains, so this food is food for her. Since the food you use works and he is allergic to carrots, then I would stay with the food that works and that he tolerates. It's had enough to find a food that works, so stick with it. We add a Tbsp of plain unsweetened or plain Greek yogurt to their kibble every morning, and we also,add 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water everyday or you can add it to their kibble, we also add salmon oil for the Omega oils for their coats and skin, we add this to their evening meal. They get one cup in the morning, around 6:30 am and another cup in the evening at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Our guys get cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, cheese strings, cooked oatmeal, about twice a week, not everyday and not all at once, but different variations of the treats, and they also get a hard boiled egg each on the weekend.

thank you so much!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
thank you so much!!!

I use a probiotics and enzyme from "Nusentia" also a Glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM from them , horse strength. I use an eyedropper for the Glucosamine/Chondroitin

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I use a probiotics and enzyme from "Nusentia" also a Glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM from them , horse strength. I use an eyedropper for the Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Thank you I will look into this!! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online