Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Probiotics

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Probiotics

    Hi Everyone! We are thinking about starting to add some probiotics to Winston's food. Any suggestions on what to use?? Thanks!

  2. #2
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Let's tag a couple members! @cowsmom.. @Sherry

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Thanks!!

  4. #4
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Sequim ,Washington
    Posts
    327
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Probiotics

    there is one food , that guarantees in writing,in the guaranteed food analysis, the Minimum amount of probiotics. NO ONE ELSE puts it writing,(the guaranty)so you KNOW that that much is in the food!!!! only a trace amount is needed by law to say it is in the food. but in writing --you have a written guaranty in the guaranteed food analysis section !!
    and it does start with a live culture as well. the food is FROMM. it is the only one I recommend that contains all the things dogs need to be a healthy BULLDOG !!! nothing else is needed , but added fruits and veggies are recommended !!
    try the 4 star line first, 1 meat and veggies and fruits
    then you can go to the GOLD it has several meats , and then veggies and fruits, that way --no dog will grow intolerant to any 1 meat !!
    6 to 8 weeks will show an improved disposition, coat,all around alertness.my 15 yr old neighbors Yorkie, started acting like a pup again.
    and 14 -15 yrs of research has payed off , keeping mine and many others out of the vets office !!and no skin issues either.
    good luck.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    Hi Everyone! We are thinking about starting to add some probiotics to Winston's food. Any suggestions on what to use?? Thanks!
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

  5. #5
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindathedogsmaid View Post
    there is one food , that guarantees in writing,in the guaranteed food analysis, the Minimum amount of probiotics. NO ONE ELSE puts it writing,(the guaranty)so you KNOW that that much is in the food!!!! only a trace amount is needed by law to say it is in the food. but in writing --you have a written guaranty in the guaranteed food analysis section !!
    and it does start with a live culture as well. the food is FROMM. it is the only one I recommend that contains all the things dogs need to be a healthy BULLDOG !!! nothing else is needed , but added fruits and veggies are recommended !!
    try the 4 star line first, 1 meat and veggies and fruits
    then you can go to the GOLD it has several meats , and then veggies and fruits, that way --no dog will grow intolerant to any 1 meat !!
    6 to 8 weeks will show an improved disposition, coat,all around alertness.my 15 yr old neighbors Yorkie, started acting like a pup again.
    and 14 -15 yrs of research has payed off , keeping mine and many others out of the vets office !!and no skin issues either.
    good luck.

    Thanks so much for the info! I feed Winston natures variety instinct limited ingredient lamb. Unfortunately Winston is allergic to carrots & has a slight allergy to peas which makes it very difficult to find a food for him! As much as I would LOVE to feed him the FROMM line, they all have carrots so it is not an option for us. He does very well on his food and I just want to add probiotics to help with keeping yeast away!

  6. #6
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info! I feed Winston natures variety instinct limited ingredient lamb. Unfortunately Winston is allergic to carrots & has a slight allergy to peas which makes it very difficult to find a food for him! As much as I would LOVE to feed him the FROMM line, they all have carrots so it is not an option for us. He does very well on his food and I just want to add probiotics to help with keeping yeast away!
    If you're dealing with yeast, don't forget the ACV (vinegar) in his water that should help alot.

  7. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    If you're dealing with yeast, don't forget the ACV (vinegar) in his water that should help alot.
    Thanks for the info! Do I mix it into his water?? How much??

  8. #8
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Probiotics

    We just mix in one cap of ACV with Bacon's food. The other thing we did as a treat was to freeze yogurt and pumpkin in ice cube trays. Works wonders. We also got salmon oil pills that we put in with his dinner every night, it made his coat so much softer

  9. #9
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Yes in the water. About one tablespoon per gallon or maybe a teaspoon per quart. You may have to start with less and work up to that amount if your pup doesn't like the taste at first. It made a whole lot of difference for my yeast queen. What you're doing is changing the dog's Ph balance enough to stop the yeast from growing. Lots of folks around here use it. Also, you can add it to your dog's rinse water after bathing if you're dealing with a lot of skin issues. If he chews his feet, add some to some warm water and rinse his feet off or soak them for a bit in it. You can use any old vinegar for any of this but most folks use Apple Cider Vinegar (AVC) with the 'Mother" in it for drinking (Braggs is a more commonly found brand. Check with the Natural Foods in your grocery). The point of the ACV is that the fancy stuff has other nutrients in it that enhance it's value.

  10. #10
    Bulldog Walker Meggs19's Avatar
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    290
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Probiotics

    We have also added a couple tablespoons of Non-fat, plain Greek Yogurt to Tonka's food for extra pro-biotics. I believe you can use regular yogurt as well.

  11. #11
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Thanks so much everyone!! I am going to try mixing the acv in tonight since I have that at home!!

  12. #12
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Probiotics

    Everyone gave great advice. We also feed Fromms Beef to our guys, Blossom is allergic to Chicken and grains, so this food is good for her. Since the food you use works and he is allergic to carrots, then I would stay with the food that works and that he tolerates. It's hard enough to find a food that works, so stick with it. We add a Tbsp of plain unsweetened or plain Greek yogurt to their kibble every morning, and we also,add 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water everyday or you can add it to their kibble, we also add salmon oil for the Omega oils for their coats and skin, we add this to their evening meal. They get one cup in the morning, around 6:30 am and another cup in the evening at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Our guys get cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, cheese strings, cooked oatmeal, about twice a week, not everyday and not all at once, but different variations of the treats, and they also get a hard boiled egg each on the weekend.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 05-06-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typos
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •