Switching to Fromm... Thanks to all of you!

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I swear if it wasent for this forum, I'd be wasting money and worrying a lot more about taking care of an EB... Thanks to all of you for your words of advice and testimonials...

So I will be switching Murray from the Eukanuba Puppy Growth to Fromms Gold Puppy (pink bag) in the next few weeks.

We had a rescue Collie / Shepard mix for a long time before Murray - didn't think much about what we fed him - kept him on Purina One Smartblend... never had any allergies, issues, etc. Given that he was a rescue, and being bait in a dog fighting ring before we got him - he ate it without a bother.

So when we got Murray I started him on the Eukanuba thinking that was a 'good and reputable brand' but as I was sniffing around the forum here I realized just how low quality it is (one star!) and what issues it can cause. Murray showed no signs of allergies to it for the first month or so, but recently I have been noticing general redness and swelling of his feet (at times) and a pink hue to his face, including some light tear stains. Hes also started itching and gnawing around his feet.

So given my reading that I have already done here - I instantly knew what needed to be done in order to hopefully squash these traits I have been observing as well as to just give him the best nutrition I can. Right around the corner I found a great 'gourme' pet store - privately owned by a great couple who fresh bake treats on the daily - and what do you know it - they carry the Fromms line (unusual around these parts)!

So this post is more of a thank you then anything - I hope my analysis is correct that general itchiness, red paws, some red blotches on his face and belly and tear stains are likely food related and I hopefully I will start seing some improvement over the next few weeks.

For those that have went through this before - how long until you would expect to see results if the food was indeed the issue? I wanted to have an idea so if I wasent seeing an improvement, I knew when to start working my way to another formula or brand.

Soooooo... :thanks: (from me and the little guy!)

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well...good for you and "the litte guy"...I hope you've found the right food. As a pup, I'm sure he will l do great on this food. Most of us have to try more than one before we find the best one. It's enough to drive ya crazy..this food stuff!

Make sure and do a low transition..gradually decreasing the old while ncreasing the new. Over 10 days to 2 weeks is the best. It will take about 6 weeks to really see the full results. Although, Jake once showed an allergy to Salmon after one day! :eek:

I love to use Duoxo pads (Maloket without the smell) on Jake's feet once a week. I clean the pads and top and bottoms. it just seems to keep them healthy and as an added benefit...tastes bad! Lol! There is a great recipe here to soak their feet in..search for "pickled feet". Just in case the redness persists a bit. I'm a "less is more" sort of person when it comes to Jake.. Ears..nose rope..feet..wrinkles as needed...lol! These guys are sure demanding!

Glad you found us..and we all learn together! Good Luck!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds great!!! I hope it helps as he is pretty young to be battling the things you are describing. To see the full effects of a food it can take 6-8 weeks but usually you can see some difference within a week. A bad reaction you will notice much faster. Don't forget to switch slowly! And be prepared for some gas during the switch- you are going from McDonald's to filet mignon!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great post --- this is why we are all here (well, look out pictures too) -- help, learn and support!!! Good luck and be sure to keep us posted

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I forgot to ask which Fromm you chose?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yea food can be baffling with these bullies but fromm is a good place to go from eukanuba. Just take it slow n watch for things. A new food can cure problems or sometimes clear some but give u different ones. You are headed in the right direction with fromm. I would get some duoxo n some Apple cidar vinegar n keep it on hand as with bullies you will prolly need them at one time or another.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.