Help Needed! New Home, Rocky's not eating...

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Re: New Home, Rocky's not eatingā€¦

We stir shredded cheese in with Bacon's food, that way it's not a lot of extra stuff and because its shredded and totally mixed in he just eats the kibble too

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

We stir shredded cheese in with Bacon's food, that way it's not a lot of extra stuff and because its shredded and totally mixed in he just eats the kibble too

another great idea, Thanks Hans, I'll get some shredded cheese today, and give it a try, also going to get some green beans for the freezer, I understand English bulldogs like them like frozen popsiclesā€¦ā€¦ I can't wait to try.

To share another first for Rocky. In owning a female cocker spaniel, named Bailey, and short for Baileys Irish creme until elderly natural old age robbed her from me, One thing I could depend on with Bailey, She didn't like bathsā€¦ I much preferred to take her to the groomer, and pay someone else to be the bad guy in grooming herā€¦ lol, but in between visits to the groomer, I got my share of nasty attitudes from her. The refreshing revelation is now that I have Rocky and have a walk in shower, every time I get a shower and the door is open, he runs in for a quick shower also, of course I use Baby's shampoo with Lavender in it for him, But he doesn't mind it one bit, and loves the drying off pat down too! I am so blown away in the different personalities of my Bailey, and my Rockyā€¦.. Yep, this young man has stolen my heart, and knows he has me wrapped around his little fingerā€¦..

Now to get him from Junkie to Healthyā€¦..:yes:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

I am loving your stories of Rocky, I think the cheese is a great idea also and as much as I hate to say it what about canned dog food:blush:with his kibble.

Really interested in hearing how you make out, please get us updated on that little handsome, shower loving boy.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

I am loving your stories of Rocky, I think the cheese is a great idea also and as much as I hate to say it what about canned dog food:blush:with his kibble.

Really interested in hearing how you make out, please get us updated on that little handsome, shower loving boy.

Hey Lynn, after Rocky's shower this morning, he of course ran out to my work room, (Man Cave), I have a business building Custom fishing Rods, and I had an upgraded piece of equipment came in yesterday, packed of course in styrafoam, about 6 feet long, and a foot wide, both blocks and peanuts. Rocky attacked the styrafoam and shredded the blocks, lol, The carpet in my work room is Royal Blue, so of course the styrafoam stood out from the carpet, and made a big mess. After closing up shop yesterday, I figured I would get an early start on getting things cleaned up this morning, After trying several things to get him to eat yesterday, Notice plenty of energy, but not eating. In the shop this morning, I started the vacuum up, and got a surprise, Rocky jumped on the vacuum with both front paws, head ducked, and tail in the air, barking at the vacuum while standing on it. I finally got him to get away from the vacuum so I could clean up, and he grabbed his favorite toy, a 2 liter empty coke bottle, which I've glued the top on with epoxy, and ran to my recliner, Jumped up in my recliner, scratched around like he was digging a hole and sat there waiting for me to finish cleaning upā€¦ā€¦. He is such a mess!! I mean to say, he just ain't right!!

Update, Tried the cheese, still won't eat the kibbles

Tried frozen vegetables, he takes them out of my hand, then spits them back out at meā€¦.

I will try the can dog food next, mixed in with his kibbles. I've purposely tried to stay away from anything I thought would give him diarrhea, Even though he's house broke, he will pace when he wants to go outside, I just don't want to miss him pacing as I'm working.

The other funny thing i've found with owning a male, is anything that moves, at some point he tries to dominate, ( by humping) first the slobber, then the dominationā€¦ Lmboā€¦. What have I gotten intoā€¦.LMBO !! I feel sorry for the vacuum while i'm working.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Finally, a breakthroughā€¦ā€¦

Got a Can of Pedigree, Beef, Bacon & Cheese food, 1 lb 6 Oz can, mixed that in rockys bowl with Kibbles, Both Pedigree and Basic Blue, Sensitive food, mixed all three together very good, Sat his food bowl down, and Rocky plowed through 65-70% of itā€¦.. Now I have him eating somethingā€¦. Have to work on a transition from this point, to something healthy for him, I'm sure he's not going to like it, and in time will do much better in his life with healthy eating. Geez, I've seen so many people standing in grocery Isles reading labels, and I always laugh to myself saying, LoL, NOT MEā€¦ā€¦ Amazing what you do for kids!! :2thumbs:

Thank You to everyone who have had so many good suggestions, Ideas, and what works with yours pets, I appreciate all of your time in getting rocky started on eating somethingā€¦. I look foreword to reading much more, having more questions, needing more help, and the general stuff I can contribute in the futureā€¦. THANK YOU !!

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

Got a Can of Pedigree, Beef, Bacon & Cheese food, 1 lb 6 Oz can, mixed that in rockys bowl with Kibbles, Both Pedigree and Basic Blue, Sensitive food, mixed all three together very good, Sat his food bowl down, and Rocky plowed through 65-70% of itā€¦.. Now I have him eating somethingā€¦. Have to work on a transition from this point, to something healthy for him, I'm sure he's not going to like it, and in time will do much better in his life with healthy eating. Geez, I've seen so many people standing in grocery Isles reading labels, and I always laugh to myself saying, LoL, NOT MEā€¦ā€¦ Amazing what you do for kids!! :2thumbs:

Thank You to everyone who have had so many good suggestions, Ideas, and what works with yours pets, I appreciate all of your time in getting rocky started on eating somethingā€¦. I look foreword to reading much more, having more questions, needing more help, and the general stuff I can contribute in the futureā€¦. THANK YOU !!

:bravo:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

So glad to hear that, I'm ate to the post - trying to catch up - that Rocky is one character for sure. Bless his little "humping" heart....lol

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus

I'll try the simplest back, thanks so much for all the ideas, I definitely DON'T want him eating junk food, and the 5 second rule isn't a viable solution either. I keep reading some great foods, in food and diets post, very informative, I know years ago with my cocker, Pet Smart had all the different foods out on the floor for your pet to try, and selecting something they would eat was pretty simple. I remember visiting a pet smart in Milwaukee once, and there was a pet owner with 4 St Bernard puppies trying the different food, rather grazing, thought it was funny, as i'm sure it saved a heck of a grocery bill, however guessing thats why they stopped putting the food out and just offering a guarantee or your money back. :D
How it going with his eating. I have always fed mine blue buffalo he does Gordon it. And when he was younger I would heat up some chicken broth and mix it to his food . He always ate. He's doing great I've read here some dogs have allergies but if he's not you can try that. but my zeus will eat anything he can get too

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

How it going with his eating. I have always fed mine blue buffalo he does Gordon it. And when he was younger I would heat up some chicken broth and mix it to his food . He always ate. He's doing great I've read here some dogs have allergies but if he's not you can try that. but my zeus will eat anything he can get too
Hey Eve, He was going through a transition of a new home, plus he was on Pedigree dry food, He wouldn't eat hardly anything for 5 days, I tried everything, and in 5 days maybe 1/2 3/4 cup food combined, started vommitting, He then went to the vet, which indicated if he was like lamb and rice, and i kept the same brand of food but them gave him beef and peas, that was also considered a food change. The vet gave him medicine to heal his stomach, then with his diet being interupted, it was recommended by my vet to start fresh on Blue Buffalo, I'm using the Basic, sensitive feeding diet. He's back to eating a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening, and now he cant wait for the food dish, and I totally controll when he gets fed and how much, He's doing so much better on his new diet, and has a lot more pep-in his step too.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace

Glad to hear he has found something he likes to eat. It must be agreeing with him as its giving him some spunk

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Glad to hear he has found something he likes to eat. It must be agreeing with him as its giving him some spunk
Oh yeah Tim, He's doing a lot better, a lot more pep in his step, Happier, eating much better, wanting more, and his energy level has went through the roof! all from switching from Pedigree to Blue Buffalo Basic formula, of course I was told the first day here, the Pedigree was Junk Food just like McDonalds. Thank You

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.