Help Needed! New Home, Rocky's not eating...

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I recently re-homed Rocky to my home, and for two days, Rocky's been playful, energetic, and just having a good time. But also for two days, each time i've taken him out for a walk, in 25 paces, he stops and does no#1, 25 more paces no#2, then wants back in. Each time he's come back in, i find a little spot about the size of a 50 Cent piece of foam on the floor like a spit up. The previous owner fed him Pedigree food, and I purchased it 1st day for him, and put a cup in his bowl. He's been so excited, he hasn't stopped to eat, just less than a year old. I read on your forum about Mal-A-Ket antibacterial wipes, and since I got some cream to put in the folds of his face, I thought it would be easier to use the wipes, so I stopped at pet smart last night, No Mal-A-Ket wipes, but everyone in the store fell in Love with Rocky. The store manager was helping me look for the wipes and asked why I needed them, I explained, in which he asked what I was feeding Rocky, I told him Pedigree only, but he hasn't eaten it, and he gave a me a long spill about wheat, and oats in the food causing yeast in Rocky, and may want to switch to Basic by Blue, which may also help him get his appetite back, Grain free, Sensitive formula. As per the directions I used 25% Basic by blue, and 75% Pedigree. The Point is, Since Sunday morning, Rocky hasn't eaten, looks at his food dish, sees whats in it, walks away. Has been drinking water all along. This morning in trying something new, I used a raw egg, mixed it up in his food, and again, he looked at his bowl, smelled, and walked away.
I understand he's in the rehoming phase, and I swear he's having a great time, playing and being a bound up ball of energy, But now i'm starting to worry about him not eating. And this morning, he threw up a place in the floor about the size of a dollar bill, twice, foamy looking. Any suggestions, and or advice, I know theirs a lot of breeders on here that rehome puppies all the time, There has to be something I can do to get him to eat and calm his stomach. I look foreword to reading your thoughts….

Thanks
Dave ~ Rocky's Dad.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Re: New Home, Rocky's not eating…

Hi Dave. Well look at it this way..Pedigree is like McDonalds to kids. Why would they want a REAL food if they are used to that? He is pouting. Can't say I blame him much...I like junk food too! I would go slower on transition..in other words, instead of 1/4 cup new..try an 1/8. Go for few days then up a bit. Doesn't matter how long it takes..as long as he is changing. You can also add some boiled ground beef to the top. I think the foamy barf might be cuz his tummy is empty. If he's acting and playing normally, he is just not happy about that new food!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby

Well, if he is having problems with his stomach I would suggest maybe going to a bland diet; cook up some rice and maybe shred some chicken and mix it with the rice. I am not sure about allergies but if he has been eating pedigree maybe the chicken part won't be a problem. the bland diet may be the answer to both problems: 1) it gives him something to entice him to eat, 2) it is a diet easy on his stomach if he is having stomach issues that are related to throwing up. I would probably give him the bland diet for a few days and then try to transition the better food a little at a time into the rice until I was back on the better food. Good luck.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Hey Beckie, Thanks for your input, I've gotten a laugh out of Mickey D's, But I think i explained the problem vaguely, Let me start from the beginning.

Rocky was re-homed, by me, Because his former Parent had health Issues, and was unable to care for him. This has been the first pet I've owned since I lost my elderly Cocker prior to 2005. Prior owner had him on a Pedigree diet, and I started out with Pedigree, Rocky wouldn't touch it, still won't. Pet Smart recommended trying a Grain Free Diet, Blue Basic, Sensitive diet, but start the transition slowly, and maybe he would start eating again. Rocky follows the humans around the house, looking to eat anything, The 5 second rule definitely applies to Rocky, But still won't touch his Pedigree food, which was the diet he was on prior to coming to live with me. The Blue Basic was a win/win, as Pet Smart stated, if he won't eat the Basic Blue, bring it back for a refund but in the meantime, he may start eating his diet again, and find that Blue Basic Sensitive diet would be much better for him than Pedigree, which seemed to me to start a better diet, and get him to eat something. My daughter was able to put a handful of it in her hand, and get him to eat it, and I was able to do the same thing, So since Sunday, he's had 2 handfuls of food, plus whatever he has scarfed up in the 5 second rule. In reality, I agree that his diet is important, and I want him on the healthiest food I can find in my area, but at this point, I'd rather him just eat… I weighed him last night at Pet Smart, He's 49 pounds, and just under a year old. I would gladly slow the transition down, But I just need to get him to calm down and eat something, to start a diet. :-)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Well, if he is having problems with his stomach I would suggest maybe going to a bland diet; cook up some rice and maybe shred some chicken and mix it with the rice. I am not sure about allergies but if he has been eating pedigree maybe the chicken part won't be a problem. the bland diet may be the answer to both problems: 1) it gives him something to entice him to eat, 2) it is a diet easy on his stomach if he is having stomach issues that are related to throwing up. I would probably give him the bland diet for a few days and then try to transition the better food a little at a time into the rice until I was back on the better food. Good luck.

Thanks Dalmatina38, Rice and Chicken may do just the trick I need, start him eating again, transition his diet, plus get something in his stomach….

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster

You've been given good advice to go with the bland diet to get him eating, then gradually add the Basic.

Welcome to EBN, and good luck with Rocky's eating!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

also , you could add canned Blue to entice or even some warm water to make a bit of gravy in the kibble

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

I'll try the simplest back, thanks so much for all the ideas, I definitely DON'T want him eating junk food, and the 5 second rule isn't a viable solution either. I keep reading some great foods, in food and diets post, very informative, I know years ago with my cocker, Pet Smart had all the different foods out on the floor for your pet to try, and selecting something they would eat was pretty simple. I remember visiting a pet smart in Milwaukee once, and there was a pet owner with 4 St Bernard puppies trying the different food, rather grazing, thought it was funny, as i'm sure it saved a heck of a grocery bill, however guessing thats why they stopped putting the food out and just offering a guarantee or your money back. :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Hey Beckie, Thanks for your input, I've gotten a laugh out of Mickey D's, But I think i explained the problem vaguely, Let me start from the beginning.

Rocky was re-homed, by me, Because his former Parent had health Issues, and was unable to care for him. This has been the first pet I've owned since I lost my elderly Cocker prior to 2005. Prior owner had him on a Pedigree diet, and I started out with Pedigree, Rocky wouldn't touch it, still won't. Pet Smart recommended trying a Grain Free Diet, Blue Basic, Sensitive diet, but start the transition slowly, and maybe he would start eating again. Rocky follows the humans around the house, looking to eat anything, The 5 second rule definitely applies to Rocky, But still won't touch his Pedigree food, which was the diet he was on prior to coming to live with me. The Blue Basic was a win/win, as Pet Smart stated, if he won't eat the Basic Blue, bring it back for a refund but in the meantime, he may start eating his diet again, and find that Blue Basic Sensitive diet would be much better for him than Pedigree, which seemed to me to start a better diet, and get him to eat something. My daughter was able to put a handful of it in her hand, and get him to eat it, and I was able to do the same thing, So since Sunday, he's had 2 handfuls of food, plus whatever he has scarfed up in the 5 second rule. In reality, I agree that his diet is important, and I want him on the healthiest food I can find in my area, but at this point, I'd rather him just eat… I weighed him last night at Pet Smart, He's 49 pounds, and just under a year old. I would gladly slow the transition down, But I just need to get him to calm down and eat something, to start a diet. :-)

:bang:

Sorry! I misunderstood! I thought he was used to pedigree and so wouldn't eat new food! Dohhhhhhh! Yes..the bland diet should help ...and if he eats by hand, that does another good thing for him. It helps him recognize you as his pack leader. It's often used on dogs with behavioral problems and territorial aggression. It can reassure him and get him to eat. You can do the bland diet and introduce the kibble by hand too. He's a lucky boy Dave...and you will find your path with him. Slow and steady....he will be "Golden"!!! ;)

:)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

:bang:

Sorry! I misunderstood! I thought he was used to pedigree and so wouldn't eat new food! Dohhhhhhh! Yes..the bland diet should help ...and if he eats by hand, that does another good thing for him. It helps him recognize you as his pack leader. It's often used on dogs with behavioral problems and territorial aggression. It can reassure him and get him to eat. You can do the bland diet and introduce the kibble by hand too. He's a lucky boy Dave...and you will find your path with him. Slow and steady....he will be "Golden"!!! ;)

:)

It probably wouldn't hurt picking up a book on English Bulldogs, like a 101 or something, as his former owner was explaining yeast infection in the folds of his face, and health issues, watch out for's etc… I was a bit overwhelmed I admit, When she said Rocky bullied her, I was confused…. Ahhhhhhh but now I get it, lol He's a mess, and I only want the best for him….. Thanks so much for your thoughts and help, and any information you and everyone else shares…

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

also , you could add canned Blue to entice or even some warm water to make a bit of gravy in the kibble

tried the warm water over the pedigree, he leaped on it, slurped up the water/gravy, backed away from the bowl, and went and laid down just starring at me….. I'm like Really??? okay, time to take another step, Hmmmmm

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

tried the warm water over the pedigree, he leaped on it, slurped up the water/gravy, backed away from the bowl, and went and laid down just starring at me….. I'm like Really??? okay, time to take another step, Hmmmmm

stinker didn't eat the kibble did he?

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness

Just a thought...drinking but not eating, do his teeth hurt or is there something going on in his mouth? Do you have a kong? Maybe try some yogurt or peanut butter in it to see if that interests him (I always freeze the kong...keeps 'em busy) good luck;)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Okay, let me cover the bases and my thoughts, and maybe get a few more suggestions…

First, I put a raw egg in with rocky's food, mixed it up well, gave it to Rocky, he smelled it and put his nose up to it and walked away…

Second, I put warm water over Rocky's food, He slurped the gravy out, and turned his nose up to the kibbles…

Third, I made a half pound ground beef boiled with rice, mixed it very well with his food, Rocky ate about a cup full, and walked away…

What else i'm seeing, I know the previous owner said he was on a pedigree diet, which he hasn't touched since I've had him, He loves to jump in my recliner, and my light desk next to my chair has a few Fig Newtons in a zip lock baggie to snack on, Rocky like to clear everything on the desk, grab the newtons and run and hide with them, Second a friend stopped by with his son, which was eating potato chips, and Rocky bullied him out of a potato chip then went back for more. Evidently somewhere along the line, Rocky has gotten hooked on junk food and isn't interested in good food. I finally have a cup of Rice, Beef and Pedigree mixed with Blue Basic in his system, The foaming vomit and upset stomach has stopped for now.

Obviously, Rocky isn't interested in Dog food at all… Re-homing him recently complicates matters, However he isn't acting depressed at all. Very Playful, Energetic, just not interested in Dog Food.

Any Suggestions on how to convert him from Human food back to a healthy diet would be much appreciated….

Thanks Much
Dave - Rocky's Dad

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Just a thought...drinking but not eating, do his teeth hurt or is there something going on in his mouth? Do you have a kong? Maybe try some yogurt or peanut butter in it to see if that interests him (I always freeze the kong...keeps 'em busy) good luck;)

I've checked his mouth and teeth, Nothing going on there, He keeps a chew Bone, (NOT RAWHIDE) like a tough rubber, he loves chewing on it, also loves a 2 liter coke bottle, he kicks it around the house, and holds it from the cap end and marches around with it. I've given him his medicine with Peanut Butter, but haven't tried any yogurt. He loves Human food, but hates anything doing with any food thats good for him.

I've felt bad, Since we recently moved him from his home to ours, and trying to make sure the transition was seamless, He hasn't shown any depression at all, hasn't had time too, the only snag is he won't touch the Pedigree that the previous owner said he was on. I want him on a healthy diet, and no Human food at all, and am worried about him not eating at all.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.