Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Home, Rocky's not eating...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Home, Rocky's not eating…

Just a thought...drinking but not eating, do his teeth hurt or is there something going on in his mouth? Do you have a kong? Maybe try some yogurt or peanut butter in it to see if that interests him (I always freeze the kong...keeps 'em busy) good luck

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Okay, let me cover the bases and my thoughts, and maybe get a few more suggestions…

First, I put a raw egg in with rocky's food, mixed it up well, gave it to Rocky, he smelled it and put his nose up to it and walked away…

Second, I put warm water over Rocky's food, He slurped the gravy out, and turned his nose up to the kibbles…

Third, I made a half pound ground beef boiled with rice, mixed it very well with his food, Rocky ate about a cup full, and walked away…

What else i'm seeing, I know the previous owner said he was on a pedigree diet, which he hasn't touched since I've had him, He loves to jump in my recliner, and my light desk next to my chair has a few Fig Newtons in a zip lock baggie to snack on, Rocky like to clear everything on the desk, grab the newtons and run and hide with them, Second a friend stopped by with his son, which was eating potato chips, and Rocky bullied him out of a potato chip then went back for more. Evidently somewhere along the line, Rocky has gotten hooked on junk food and isn't interested in good food. I finally have a cup of Rice, Beef and Pedigree mixed with Blue Basic in his system, The foaming vomit and upset stomach has stopped for now.

Obviously, Rocky isn't interested in Dog food at all… Re-homing him recently complicates matters, However he isn't acting depressed at all. Very Playful, Energetic, just not interested in Dog Food.

Any Suggestions on how to convert him from Human food back to a healthy diet would be much appreciated….

Thanks Much
    Dave - Rocky's Dad

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rksuski View Post
    Just a thought...drinking but not eating, do his teeth hurt or is there something going on in his mouth? Do you have a kong? Maybe try some yogurt or peanut butter in it to see if that interests him (I always freeze the kong...keeps 'em busy) good luck
    I've checked his mouth and teeth, Nothing going on there, He keeps a chew Bone, (NOT RAWHIDE) like a tough rubber, he loves chewing on it, also loves a 2 liter coke bottle, he kicks it around the house, and holds it from the cap end and marches around with it. I've given him his medicine with Peanut Butter, but haven't tried any yogurt. He loves Human food, but hates anything doing with any food thats good for him.

I've felt bad, Since we recently moved him from his home to ours, and trying to make sure the transition was seamless, He hasn't shown any depression at all, hasn't had time too, the only snag is he won't touch the Pedigree that the previous owner said he was on. I want him on a healthy diet, and no Human food at all, and am worried about him not eating at all.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

We stir shredded cheese in with Bacon's food, that way it's not a lot of extra stuff and because its shredded and totally mixed in he just eats the kibble too

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    We stir shredded cheese in with Bacon's food, that way it's not a lot of extra stuff and because its shredded and totally mixed in he just eats the kibble too
    another great idea, Thanks Hans, I'll get some shredded cheese today, and give it a try, also going to get some green beans for the freezer, I understand English bulldogs like them like frozen popsicles…… I can't wait to try.

To share another first for Rocky. In owning a female cocker spaniel, named Bailey, and short for Baileys Irish creme until elderly natural old age robbed her from me, One thing I could depend on with Bailey, She didn't like baths… I much preferred to take her to the groomer, and pay someone else to be the bad guy in grooming her… lol, but in between visits to the groomer, I got my share of nasty attitudes from her. The refreshing revelation is now that I have Rocky and have a walk in shower, every time I get a shower and the door is open, he runs in for a quick shower also, of course I use Baby's shampoo with Lavender in it for him, But he doesn't mind it one bit, and loves the drying off pat down too! I am so blown away in the different personalities of my Bailey, and my Rocky….. Yep, this young man has stolen my heart, and knows he has me wrapped around his little finger…..

Now to get him from Junkie to Healthy…..

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I am loving your stories of Rocky, I think the cheese is a great idea also and as much as I hate to say it what about canned dog foodwith his kibble.

Really interested in hearing how you make out, please get us updated on that little handsome, shower loving boy.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnA View Post
    I am loving your stories of Rocky, I think the cheese is a great idea also and as much as I hate to say it what about canned dog foodwith his kibble.

Really interested in hearing how you make out, please get us updated on that little handsome, shower loving boy.
    Hey Lynn, after Rocky's shower this morning, he of course ran out to my work room, (Man Cave), I have a business building Custom fishing Rods, and I had an upgraded piece of equipment came in yesterday, packed of course in styrafoam, about 6 feet long, and a foot wide, both blocks and peanuts. Rocky attacked the styrafoam and shredded the blocks, lol, The carpet in my work room is Royal Blue, so of course the styrafoam stood out from the carpet, and made a big mess. After closing up shop yesterday, I figured I would get an early start on getting things cleaned up this morning, After trying several things to get him to eat yesterday, Notice plenty of energy, but not eating. In the shop this morning, I started the vacuum up, and got a surprise, Rocky jumped on the vacuum with both front paws, head ducked, and tail in the air, barking at the vacuum while standing on it. I finally got him to get away from the vacuum so I could clean up, and he grabbed his favorite toy, a 2 liter empty coke bottle, which I've glued the top on with epoxy, and ran to my recliner, Jumped up in my recliner, scratched around like he was digging a hole and sat there waiting for me to finish cleaning up……. He is such a mess!! I mean to say, he just ain't right!!

Update, Tried the cheese, still won't eat the kibbles

Tried frozen vegetables, he takes them out of my hand, then spits them back out at me….

I will try the can dog food next, mixed in with his kibbles. I've purposely tried to stay away from anything I thought would give him diarrhea, Even though he's house broke, he will pace when he wants to go outside, I just don't want to miss him pacing as I'm working.

The other funny thing i've found with owning a male, is anything that moves, at some point he tries to dominate, ( by humping) first the slobber, then the domination… Lmbo…. What have I gotten into….LMBO !! I feel sorry for the vacuum while i'm working.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Finally, a breakthrough……

Got a Can of Pedigree, Beef, Bacon & Cheese food, 1 lb 6 Oz can, mixed that in rockys bowl with Kibbles, Both Pedigree and Basic Blue, Sensitive food, mixed all three together very good, Sat his food bowl down, and Rocky plowed through 65-70% of it….. Now I have him eating something…. Have to work on a transition from this point, to something healthy for him, I'm sure he's not going to like it, and in time will do much better in his life with healthy eating. Geez, I've seen so many people standing in grocery Isles reading labels, and I always laugh to myself saying, LoL, NOT ME…… Amazing what you do for kids!!

Thank You to everyone who have had so many good suggestions, Ideas, and what works with yours pets, I appreciate all of your time in getting rocky started on eating something…. I look foreword to reading much more, having more questions, needing more help, and the general stuff I can contribute in the future…. THANK YOU !!
    Last edited by Casper; 05-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRod View Post

Got a Can of Pedigree, Beef, Bacon & Cheese food, 1 lb 6 Oz can, mixed that in rockys bowl with Kibbles, Both Pedigree and Basic Blue, Sensitive food, mixed all three together very good, Sat his food bowl down, and Rocky plowed through 65-70% of it….. Now I have him eating something…. Have to work on a transition from this point, to something healthy for him, I'm sure he's not going to like it, and in time will do much better in his life with healthy eating. Geez, I've seen so many people standing in grocery Isles reading labels, and I always laugh to myself saying, LoL, NOT ME…… Amazing what you do for kids!!

Thank You to everyone who have had so many good suggestions, Ideas, and what works with yours pets, I appreciate all of your time in getting rocky started on eating something…. I look foreword to reading much more, having more questions, needing more help, and the general stuff I can contribute in the future…. THANK YOU !!

Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear that, I'm ate to the post - trying to catch up - that Rocky is one character for sure. Bless his little "humping" heart....lol
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

I'll try the simplest back, thanks so much for all the ideas, I definitely DON'T want him eating junk food, and the 5 second rule isn't a viable solution either. I keep reading some great foods, in food and diets post, very informative, I know years ago with my cocker, Pet Smart had all the different foods out on the floor for your pet to try, and selecting something they would eat was pretty simple. I remember visiting a pet smart in Milwaukee once, and there was a pet owner with 4 St Bernard puppies trying the different food, rather grazing, thought it was funny, as i'm sure it saved a heck of a grocery bill, however guessing thats why they stopped putting the food out and just offering a guarantee or your money back.
    How it going with his eating. I have always fed mine blue buffalo he does Gordon it. And when he was younger I would heat up some chicken broth and mix it to his food . He always ate. He's doing great I've read here some dogs have allergies but if he's not you can try that. but my zeus will eat anything he can get too

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCsmommy View Post
    How it going with his eating. I have always fed mine blue buffalo he does Gordon it. And when he was younger I would heat up some chicken broth and mix it to his food . He always ate. He's doing great I've read here some dogs have allergies but if he's not you can try that. but my zeus will eat anything he can get too
    Hey Eve, He was going through a transition of a new home, plus he was on Pedigree dry food, He wouldn't eat hardly anything for 5 days, I tried everything, and in 5 days maybe 1/2 3/4 cup food combined, started vommitting, He then went to the vet, which indicated if he was like lamb and rice, and i kept the same brand of food but them gave him beef and peas, that was also considered a food change. The vet gave him medicine to heal his stomach, then with his diet being interupted, it was recommended by my vet to start fresh on Blue Buffalo, I'm using the Basic, sensitive feeding diet. He's back to eating a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening, and now he cant wait for the food dish, and I totally controll when he gets fed and how much, He's doing so much better on his new diet, and has a lot more pep-in his step too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads