Help Needed! Hives

maggies crew

Mar 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
tinkerbell porkchop
Porkchop is 2 yrs old, I got her at the begining of March with very little info. She was on medical mature and had no hives but I wanted to change her to something better. She has been on Lamb and Rice and started to get hives BUT she also likes to go racing threw the cedar bushes out back. Since then I changed her food to Fromms Beef fr. and brought her to the vets. Now she is on zd vet and she has been on it since friday and her hives are worse and coming out on her sides and her eyes are really gummy. Vet says its the last of the food coming out of her system but I'm pretty sure its the new stuff because things are getting worse. Need some direction pls.......

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
I'm a new EBD Mom, so there are a lot of others here who will be of more help. My first concern would be treating the hives. Benadryl is what my vet recommended (1mg per pound) when my girl broke out in hives from an antibiotic. That didn't work very well so the vet gave her a steroid shot. I don't know if hives can happen in reaction to food? I've been giving Lucy Benadryl the last week as I've noticed since we're into spring her eyes are a tad redder and her snout (which is white) is appearing more red when we're out in the grass. The breeder said her vet recommended children's Claritin and her vet has bulldogs. I also want to add that vets don't get a lot of nutrition education in vet school (I live near a university with a vet school from which a neighbor just graduated) so many sell (which I'm sure they profit from) prescription SD. I haven't tried Fromms, but many here are very happy with the food. I feed Nature's Logic and am very happy with it. I had a boxer for ten years who would get hives in warmer weather. First time we thought it might have been a bee sting, but I didn't notice any bees on our walks. She loved to run under a shrub hedge on our property line. Sometimes she'd get hives, sometimes she wouldn't. We never did figure out what caused them. One time her face was swollen almost twice it's normal size. We took her to the university Vet E.R. where they put her on an IV. After that time I always carried an epipen when we would go out.

Last edited:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Try the benadryl as stated above. I had an EB who got hives as a reaction to grasses and weeds outside. I never did figure out which specific one though. ZD should not have allergens in it so the food should not be a problem right now. Wait until she's clear of the hives if you plan to switching her to something more natural. Make sure it doesn't have lamb, chicken or grains in it. Bullys are frequently allergic to any or all of the above. I'd start with a limited ingredient food with an unusual protein source and no white potatoes. Sometimes they have problems with potatoes as well. Sweet potatoes should be ok. You can slowly expand from there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try the new Fromm... Pork and Peas, it is chicken, grain and potato free. Also, if the Benedryl does not work... try Claritin or Zytec as with us, something different works for each.

going to tag a few food guru's to help out as well

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok first off i would be giving the benadryl as others have stated. also perhaps a bath to wash off anything she may have gotten into. bullies can have food or environmental allergies so its a good idea to not be changing stuff to much or to fast so as you can pinpoint what could be causing it. if they do not get better on the zd diet in a few days i would put her back on what was working for her the medical mature. getting her stabilized is the first thing. can you tell me what brand medical mature is so i can look up the ingredients and perhaps suggest a better food that may work for your bully once you get her better. keep us posted.

OP
M

maggies crew

Mar 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
tinkerbell porkchop
Thank you everyone for the info. I took her off the vet food, she has no more hives on her sides and they are easing off. I know that the food is supposed to be good but it sure made her worse! Tomorrow I am fencing off my cedars to keep her out of them. I am going to put her on Pork fromm and go from there..........

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online