Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: English bulldog not eating :(

  1. #1

    Default English bulldog not eating :(

    I have a 9 year old English bulldog. We recently started switching her food and did it too fast. About 4 days into the switch she pooped 5 times after eating breakfast so I fed her chicken and rice for dinner which she threw up about an hour later. She will not eat this morning - anything. She tries to poop but only tiny drops come out. She is clearly tired and not playful. She still moves around and barks at her arch nemesis - the skateboards outside. She will still drink water. We just had her annual check up the day before this incident with stool samples etc. I can take her into the vet tomorrow but am worried about her today/tonight as she hasn't eaten a thing. Is it the old food issue causing her to be weary of eating anything?? Any help or info would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    Hi there! I wouldn't think a food switch would cause her not to eat and vomit but I could be wrong! Has she eaten anything that she could have gotten into (a toy, sock or anything) I would give her some plain rice and see if that works! I will tag some other members who may have some more advice for you
    @desertskybulldogs @cowsmom @2BullyMama @kazzy220 @Davidh @Sherry
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  3. #3
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,247
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    Well my question is why the food change in the first place, and second, her tummy could just be upset from changing too quickly. As long as she is drinking water, I'd give her an other day to see if she eats. It's good you are taking her to the vet tomorrow anyway as he can check her out and maybe give her something to help her upset tummy.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  4. #4

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    We changed her food from wellness to taste of the wild bc her gas had gotten extremely bad and I had read that her gas could be making her uncomfortable as well and after reading it seemed as though the change would be beneficial...not make her worse. She hasn't gotten into any toys or socks etc as we've been with her at all times...should I go back to the old food when she's able to eat?? I'll also ask the vet but y'all's input would be appreciated

  5. #5
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    Hi Jeanette..I bet her tummy is just really upset.. I think what I would do is start her on the Bland Diet for a few days..maybe a week..then slowly begin the transition to her new food. Take 10 days to 2 weeks to fully transition her. She will love the Bland Diet too..so it should get her to eat AND help settle her tummy.

  6. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanettedavis View Post
    I have a 9 year old English bulldog. We recently started switching her food and did it too fast. About 4 days into the switch she pooped 5 times after eating breakfast so I fed her chicken and rice for dinner which she threw up about an hour later. She will not eat this morning - anything. She tries to poop but only tiny drops come out. She is clearly tired and not playful. She still moves around and barks at her arch nemesis - the skateboards outside. She will still drink water. We just had her annual check up the day before this incident with stool samples etc. I can take her into the vet tomorrow but am worried about her today/tonight as she hasn't eaten a thing. Is it the old food issue causing her to be weary of eating anything?? Any help or info would be appreciated!

    Hi Jeanett, IMO she probably pooped so much the one day it emptied her out, the chicken and rice could've just slowed down her digestion. especially if the rice is too sticky, if that's the case you can add water to thin out the rice. I use burger and rice when I feed a bland diet. and cook the rice really well, and not sticky
    Please keep us posted
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  7. #7
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    I just came on and saw I got tagged ... so sorry I'm late (life has been a bit crazy lately) ... hoping to see an update!!

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11539

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanettedavis View Post
    We changed her food from wellness to taste of the wild bc her gas had gotten extremely bad and I had read that her gas could be making her uncomfortable as well and after reading it seemed as though the change would be beneficial...not make her worse. She hasn't gotten into any toys or socks etc as we've been with her at all times...should I go back to the old food when she's able to eat?? I'll also ask the vet but y'all's input would be appreciated
    Any update on Melo.... how is she doing?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    there has been some great advice here and the only other suggestion I could possibly recommend besides the vet and bland diet is maybe a little pepto bismol. I keep the tablet on hand just in case Amber gets an upset stomach. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

  10. #10
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    aw any updates?

  11. #11
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: English bulldog not eating :(

    hahaha I bought Pepto one time for my Mable (she had a troubled tummy at times) and didn't even THINK of the tablets and so, bought the liquid. You should have seen the melee endured to get that down her. There was pink goo everywhere, including super thick around her lips like so much lipstick....LOL
    @Jeannettedavis - how's your pup doing?

  12. #12
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    hahaha I bought Pepto one time for my Mable (she had a troubled tummy at times) and didn't even THINK of the tablets and so, bought the liquid. You should have seen the melee endured to get that down her. There was pink goo everywhere, including super thick around her lips like so much lipstick....LOL
    @Jeannettedavis - how's your pup doing?
    I've experienced this! And Yuna did the bully shake after it went everywhere!!

    I hope your pup is eating now @Jeanettedavis


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bullmama; 05-06-2013 at 09:48 AM.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •