English bulldog not eating :(

Jeanettedavis

Apr 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Melo
I have a 9 year old English bulldog. We recently started switching her food and did it too fast. About 4 days into the switch she pooped 5 times after eating breakfast so I fed her chicken and rice for dinner which she threw up about an hour later. She will not eat this morning - anything. She tries to poop but only tiny drops come out. She is clearly tired and not playful. She still moves around and barks at her arch nemesis - the skateboards outside. She will still drink water. We just had her annual check up the day before this incident with stool samples etc. I can take her into the vet tomorrow but am worried about her today/tonight as she hasn't eaten a thing. Is it the old food issue causing her to be weary of eating anything?? Any help or info would be appreciated!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there! I wouldn't think a food switch would cause her not to eat and vomit but I could be wrong! Has she eaten anything that she could have gotten into (a toy, sock or anything) I would give her some plain rice and see if that works! I will tag some other members who may have some more advice for you
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well my question is why the food change in the first place, and second, her tummy could just be upset from changing too quickly. As long as she is drinking water, I'd give her an other day to see if she eats. It's good you are taking her to the vet tomorrow anyway as he can check her out and maybe give her something to help her upset tummy.

OP
Jeanettedavis

Jeanettedavis

Apr 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Melo
We changed her food from wellness to taste of the wild bc her gas had gotten extremely bad and I had read that her gas could be making her uncomfortable as well and after reading it seemed as though the change would be beneficial...not make her worse. She hasn't gotten into any toys or socks etc as we've been with her at all times...should I go back to the old food when she's able to eat?? I'll also ask the vet but y'all's input would be appreciated

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Jeanette..I bet her tummy is just really upset.. I think what I would do is start her on the Bland Diet for a few days..maybe a week..then slowly begin the transition to her new food. Take 10 days to 2 weeks to fully transition her. She will love the Bland Diet too..so it should get her to eat AND help settle her tummy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have a 9 year old English bulldog. We recently started switching her food and did it too fast. About 4 days into the switch she pooped 5 times after eating breakfast so I fed her chicken and rice for dinner which she threw up about an hour later. She will not eat this morning - anything. She tries to poop but only tiny drops come out. She is clearly tired and not playful. She still moves around and barks at her arch nemesis - the skateboards outside. She will still drink water. We just had her annual check up the day before this incident with stool samples etc. I can take her into the vet tomorrow but am worried about her today/tonight as she hasn't eaten a thing. Is it the old food issue causing her to be weary of eating anything?? Any help or info would be appreciated!

Hi Jeanett, IMO she probably pooped so much the one day it emptied her out, the chicken and rice could've just slowed down her digestion. especially if the rice is too sticky, if that's the case you can add water to thin out the rice. I use burger and rice when I feed a bland diet. and cook the rice really well, and not sticky
Please keep us posted

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I just came on and saw I got tagged ... so sorry I'm late (life has been a bit crazy lately) ... hoping to see an update!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We changed her food from wellness to taste of the wild bc her gas had gotten extremely bad and I had read that her gas could be making her uncomfortable as well and after reading it seemed as though the change would be beneficial...not make her worse. She hasn't gotten into any toys or socks etc as we've been with her at all times...should I go back to the old food when she's able to eat?? I'll also ask the vet but y'all's input would be appreciated

Any update on Melo.... how is she doing?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
there has been some great advice here and the only other suggestion I could possibly recommend besides the vet and bland diet is maybe a little pepto bismol. I keep the tablet on hand just in case Amber gets an upset stomach. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
hahaha I bought Pepto one time for my Mable (she had a troubled tummy at times) and didn't even THINK of the tablets and so, bought the liquid. You should have seen the melee endured to get that down her. There was pink goo everywhere, including super thick around her lips like so much lipstick....LOL
[MENTION=3995]Jeanne[/MENTION]ttedavis - how's your pup doing?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
hahaha I bought Pepto one time for my Mable (she had a troubled tummy at times) and didn't even THINK of the tablets and so, bought the liquid. You should have seen the melee endured to get that down her. There was pink goo everywhere, including super thick around her lips like so much lipstick....LOL
[MENTION=3995]Jeanne[/MENTION]ttedavis - how's your pup doing?

I've experienced this! And Yuna did the bully shake after it went everywhere!!

I hope your pup is eating now [MENTION=8702]Jeanettedavis[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby, you got a lot of really great advice from members, bland diet until her tummy settles. Maybe just leave her on her old food, because of her age, as the quick food change might be too much for her system at her age. How long was she on the old food for? How was she on the old food, other than the gas? At 9 years old, any change than what she's been used to may cause an upset tummy, or the diarrhea. Sorry you guys are going through this, and I hope your baby feels better soon. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.