Fromm Food Question

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
When we first got Barkley about 6 weeks ago we started him on Wellness Core Puppy until I found out bulldog's can be sensitive to chicken. He had been having loose stools so I thought that could be the reason. I read all the suggestions on here about the Fromm Beef Frittata so I wanted to try him on that. So we switched him over to that about 3 weeks ago, he has been completely on the Fromm for over a week now. He LOVES the Fromm, he gets so excited and jumps around when it's time to eat and gulps it all down so fast! His coat looks great since switching too, it's super shiny and soft and he always gets compliments on that and how "slim" he is! :)

However, his stools still aren't very firm....Usually in the morning and when we get home from work they are almost normal but especially right after he eats, they are pretty runny and gross. Do you think it could be him still getting used to the new food? I was at the pet market that sells Fromm the other day and they said bulldog's can be sensitive to beef as well so I wasn't sure if that could be causing it too. It's about time for a new bag of food and I wasn't sure if I should keep him on the frittata or maybe try the new pork recipe they have since you don't have to do a transition phase with those?

We have also tried giving him the pure canned pumpkin but that didn't really make a difference either....

Thanks for any help!!! :D

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You switched him twice in 6 weeks, so yeah- i think he still needs time to adjust to the Fromms.
Meanwhile, I've read here that you can add some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to his food to firm up his stools.

I know when I switched Blue, it took a good 5-6 weeks before his poops were finally normal.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
You switched him twice in 6 weeks, so yeah- i think he still needs time to adjust to the Fromms.
Meanwhile, I've read here that you can add some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to his food to firm up his stools.

I know when I switched Blue, it took a good 5-6 weeks before his poops were finally normal.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info....I was debating whether to save some money and get him the huge bag of the Frittata or not! I guess I will just get the medium one again and see how it goes after the next few weeks. We have been giving him the pumpkin too so I think we will just keep on with what we're doing and see how it goes from here! *Fingers crossed!*

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Try cutting back the amount you are giving by just a little bit per day and see if that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Try cutting back the amount you are giving by just a little bit per day and see if that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Thanks! That's actually something else I was wondering, if I was feeding him the right amount....He about 5 1/2 months now and weighs around 35 pounds. We've been giving him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and night, so 3 cups total a day (plus the pumpkin and treats throughtout the day). He still acts like he wants more after he's done gobbling it all up!

He gets a good amount of exercise so I wasn't sure if that was too much or too little? I can definitely try cutting back a little and seeing if that helps though!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I had Wilson on Wellness too when he was a pup. While I like the brand, he always had soft stools, not runny just soft. You'd be fine switching him over now but do it slowly....over the course of 10 days at least. Another problem when their stools are too soft is when they poop they're not able to express their anal glands properly. If you notice a stinky fishy/stink bug smell that's the anal glands and they need expressing. Just tossing that out there so you know. :)

My three :heart: Fromm. I recently moved my Wilson and Emma over to Fromm Beef Fritatta and then moved Jack (my pitty) over to it too. Emma is now on the Fromm Pork & Peas as of this week. They're all doing fantastic overall on it.

Barkley's a cutie, what a great mask he has. :luv:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would do like desertsky said and cut back the amount. sometimes you have to feed according to the dog and not the package. i would think the stool will firm up more then. i would give it more time as to much switching can upset a bullies tummy to. keep us updated. :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Are the treats that you are feeding in line with what you are avoiding in his meals. So like the treats don't have chicken in them or anything else you don't want him to have sometimes its easy to overlook. Are you feeding enough treats to make a meal? He is plain cute!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Are the treats that you are feeding in line with what you are avoiding in his meals. So like the treats don't have chicken in them or anything else you don't want him to have sometimes its easy to overlook. Are you feeding enough treats to make a meal? He is plain cute!

Thanks! :) Well the treats we give him when he goes potty, etc don't have chicken, grains and all that in them butttt I just thought about checking his Kong treats (we give him one in his Kong every day when we leave for work) and sure enough they have chicken in them! I'll have to see about getting a different kind to put in there from now on!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Just a note all bullies are not allergic to chicken as is the case with Sarah just a lot seem to be. Hope it gets better soon

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thanks! :) Well the treats we give him when he goes potty, etc don't have chicken, grains and all that in them butttt I just thought about checking his Kong treats (we give him one in his Kong every day when we leave for work) and sure enough they have chicken in them! I'll have to see about getting a different kind to put in there from now on!!

i stuff the kongs with canned pumpkin- a bit messy in their crates but easy to clean. I also use banana to alternate. Sometimes I add a tiny piece of chicken or salmon. Miss T and Buster usually only get soft stools if I over feed them. Adding up kongs, reward treats and food can sometimes mess with their digestion. Usually the next day they have firm stools again. If I use more than a tiny piece or two of chicken they will get soft stools also.

D

DaisyBulldog

Also, a probiotic may be in order. I use Geneflora for Daisy. It cut out all farts and her somewhat loose stool. It helps support the good bacteria in their gut, and helps with digestion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online