soft stools on canine caviar

granville

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
After feeding a bag of Fromm beef fritta to my 7 month old valley bulldog ....I decided to try canine caviar wilderness gf ....after being on it for 3 days he is still having diarrhea....how long a chance do I give the food before I accept the food doesnt agree with him...he never had that problem on fromm

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
try giving your bully 1 tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin, it will stiffen up the poop. one time a day everyday until poop is stiff

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Did you do a slow transition or just do an immediate switch?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn a few weeks ago and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.

OP
granville

granville

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
i alway did a slow transition before...but canine cavair recommends no transition ..change over cold turkey

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
i alway did a slow transition before...but canine cavair recommends no transition ..change over cold turkey

They may be talking about switching in their line, from one flavor to another. Many dog food companies have foods you can do it with. but it must be within their brand.

The canned pumpkin will help and if it doesn't add some bland diet to the kibble. It will be okay, just messy! If the pumpkin or bland diet does not help the food may not be agreeing with the tummy. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
granville

granville

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
No...they say no transition from you old food to their food ...something about purging the body

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
No...they say no transition from you old food to their food ...something about purging the body

I would start the bland diet for a couple days to let his tummy settle! It was too much change in a short period of time and bullies are very sensitive to food changes.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Hmm .. I'm not sure you're liking the "purging" though!!!! :blink:

I too would suggest the bland diet until his poop gets back to normal and then try again but this time do your usual slow transition! If it is still soft then it's not the food for you.

Just out of curiousity .. why did you decide to change from the Fromm Beef Frittata??

OP
granville

granville

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
just to give him variety...and see what works with him

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If the FROMM is working, then I would stick with it. They have several different flavors to choose from in the 4 star, and they all can be interchangeable with no transition.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well actually canine caviar advertises no need to transition. i think you are supposed to feed bout half the recommended feeding the first day then full on the the next day but when dealing with bullies and their allergy prone nature perhaps that is not the best thing. this food may not be agreeing with him or it could just be to much for his tummy. you have 2 options. first you can do the bland diet for a few days and see if his tummy gets better then try again slowly or you can add the fromm back in till his stools firm up then wean him off the fromm again. unless you know the food works for your bully i would not do a cold switch and even then i would not do one unless it is within the brand like fromm 4 stars. let us know how it goes.

OP
granville

granville

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
seems to be getting better today...soft but not diarrhea....he seems to be holding his poop a long time though....he went at midnight which was diarrhea ..but never went again till 5 pm tonight...seems to be a long time..he used to go twice sometimes three times a day...I added pumpkin the last couple of days , seem to help

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well keep us updated may have just been to quick a switch and his system will catch up. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.