fromm feeding amt...low end or high?

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Hey all...
I switched Ernie to Fromm beef fritta even though he is four months. He was on royal from the breeder and I just wanted him off and on a good food. The bag says for 20-30 pounds to feed 1 1/4-21/8. Since he is a pup and at 25 pounds I have been feeding the high end. I have been reading some posts and I see that a lot of you feed your adults only 2 cups for the entire day.....
Do you guys not follow the feed recommendations? Should it be much lower for a bulldog? 50-70 pounds(which I assume he will fall into) states to feed 3 1/3 to 4 1/2. Please let me know as it is so easy to pack on the pounds!!!
Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My puppy stage years were so long ago... I am tagging a few members with the puppy smarts.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I had my 2 guys on Royal Canin from the breeder, and I switched my guys to Fromms Beef when they were 7 months old. When they were puppies, we fed them 1 cup 3 times a day of their puppy food, until they were about 4 months old, then we switched them 1 cup a day twice a day. Now they eat Fromms Beef Adult food, and they get 1 cup twice a day at 6 am and again at 6 or 7pm. Every dog is different and you have to gage it by your dogs poops and how much weight they gain. Since Ernie is only 4 months old and still a puppy, you should still continue to feed him a puppy formula ( Fromms has a puppy formula ) as he needs the extra calories and vitamins found in puppy food for the rapid growth and development of puppies. Then when he's 6 or 7 months old, you can switch him to an adult formula, and to twice a day feedings. As for the amount start with 1 or 1 1/3 cups twice a day, and just watch his poops, if they are firm but soft, and he's going 2 or 3 times a day then the amount is good, but if his poops are really soft like soft serve ice cream, or he gets the diarrhea, or he seems to be pooing excessively then reduce the amount to 1 cup twice a day.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I start on the high end of the feeding recommendations and then adjust from there if needed. I Emma's about 16 months now and she's on Fromm Pork & Peas. She gets about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups a day. Wilson, he's just over two gets 3 cups a day. I split my feeding to twice a day too. Wilson's weight has been pretty steady now at 3 cups a day on both Earthborn & Fromm foods. Jack my non bulldog gets 4 cups a day and he's very lean. I just switched him to Fromm Beef Fritatta over the last week so I'll monitor him to make sure he doesn't lose weight. He's going from a 38% protein food to a 30%.

I weighed my guys bout every week until they were 6 months and then once a month until they were 1. Gives me a good idea how their weight fluctuates.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes as others have said for a pup feed on the high end, they need plenty to eat so they can grow and develop, plus they burn off so much playing. Stay with three times a day until about 6 or 7 months then you can switch to 2 times a day but still feed the same amount as 3 times just split it up. Once they get to about 1 year of age you can cut back on their food intake, so they will not get fat. Our adult females we feed 3/4 cup twice a day and Buddy we feed a cup or maybe a little more twice a day.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Great question and great answers. I am giving Colossus (closer to 5 mths) about 2 1/2 to 3 cups a day (split over two feedings), and hes still searching for more food. I have Closs on Fromm Chick ala Veg primarily and then Surf n Turf and Beef Frittata for variety.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.