Not sure what to think now

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hi..okay reading this and i am wondering if Forde is on a food that is okay for him.....i had him on blue buffalow, freedom....he didn't eat it all that well then i saw it had some chicken in it, and he seemed to lick his feet alot....so i decided to switch to blue buffalo lamb and brown rice....he loves it.... seems to be doing okay with it, havent been on it fully but about a week... took about 30 days of mixing it with his other till it was gone......but now i'm reading about the protein thing and wondering if i made the right choice......he still licks his feet some , but nothing like he was....what is the opinion of blue buffalo lamb and brown rice..would the beef frita be better or the pork and peas.......Forde weighs about 70 Lbs....doesn't really look fat, he's a big bully.....but most important i want him as healthy as possible!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I always recommend Fromm! I just love the whole brand and I love how you can switch through their flavors with no transition! He also doesn't need as much Fromm compared to Blue buffalo! I had switched my 2 pitbulls from bb and they eat less Fromm bc it's better food with no fillers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
thanks...didn't know you could switch to different flavors without the transition.....thanks

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Tell your vet to study dog nutrition a bit more.

As Vikinggirl pointed out - dogs rely mainly on protein for energy.

Protein content in a kibble bag is a PERCENTAGE. It's not a set AMOUNT. Percentage means, that for every serving of dog food, only X percent is protein the rest is something else and they all have to equal 100%. So, what's the other things that make up the 100%? Well, in the bag, you will see that Y percent is fat, Z percent is moisture, W percent is ash (minerals and what not), and V percent is fiber. But, if you notice all that is listed does not equal 100%. So, what is missing in the list? Well, you can assume it is CARBS because not all carbs is present in fiber. The government does not require dog food manufacturers to list Carbs %.

So, okay, all dog food people know that dogs are not efficient CARBS consumers just like they are not efficient plant protein consumers. Well, humans aren't efficient carb consumers either (hence, Atkins diet became popular) but we have a much higher tolerance to it than dogs do. So, it is pretty much a guarantee that a lower protein percentage on a bag of kibble means it has higher carbs. You can't get away from carbs in a kibble. You need the starch to make the dough that forms a kibble. But, you don't need 45+% of each serving to be carbs to form the dough. More than likely, the dog food company wants to make the kibble cheaper so they put in only a little meat (more expensive) and fill it up with high-carb things like potatoes, peas, grains, etc. to make the target calories.

Now, look at the Prey-Model Raw diet. X percent is protein. This has no relationship with the X percent protein in kibble. Why? Because what makes up a big chunk of a Prey-Model serving is Moisture (water). In kibble, moisture does not stray far from 10%. So, when a Prey-Model Raw diet says it only has 30% protein - well, that usually means close to 50% of it is water, not Carbs, and dogs are efficient water consumers.

So if you say, let's lower the protein PERCENTAGE in the kibble (means increase carbs) so the dog will lose weight... uh, you're trying to tell me that you are going to exchange efficient protein to inefficient carbs as your plan for a dog to lose weight? No, if you want your dog to lose weight, feed him less. That will lower his protein intake.

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Just hearing what the vet feeds tells me that I am not going to go with his food recommendations but on other issues you might have to wait and see.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.