Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure what to think now

[QUOTE=desertskybulldogs;332961]There is a lot of controversy over protein amounts. I think a lot has to do with where the protein is coming from.

I know if I change food to a less protein as I've tried in the past I don't get the same results. I've seen many have great success with even higher protein, and one can't argue about raw diet which is pretty much pure protein at its finest. Also you feed a lot less with this food that you would a lower protein food, so in the end are they really getting more?

These are just random thoughts I've had over the years about protein, nothing has any concrete evidence, just my mind rambling.

I agree as well. Neither humans nor dogs will develop properly without adequate protein. The amino acids in protein are the building blocks and essential for growth, repair and health. It is about the bioavailability of the protein as well. A good quality protein is more bioavailable and is used more efficiently. I do not think and actually quite certain that 30% is not too much if its the right kind of protein and all else being equal, that being the other parts of the diet and the health of the dog. But a for a healthy dog I don't think this too much protein at all.
    These are the same kinds of debates I have seen over the years in human diets as well. High protein low carbs and moderate fats vs High carbs, low to moderate protein and low fat and etc. A high carb diet with low protein is not healthy in either humans or dogs in my opinion

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I had a vet tell me that her training in nutrition was almost nil. If he is doing well on the food, I wouldn't worry too much.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

dogs need protein just as people do. ive had sarah on lower protein foods and there was a difference in her strength for sure. i go up in protein and boom she is like a tank so i just go from experience. i think more protein in food is better as the lower the protein amount then basically what you are feeding you pet is whatever else is in the food such as potato or peas or rice. 30 is just fine imo. the proof is in the pudding as many have had great results here with fromm.

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

hi..okay reading this and i am wondering if Forde is on a food that is okay for him.....i had him on blue buffalow, freedom....he didn't eat it all that well then i saw it had some chicken in it, and he seemed to lick his feet alot....so i decided to switch to blue buffalo lamb and brown rice....he loves it.... seems to be doing okay with it, havent been on it fully but about a week... took about 30 days of mixing it with his other till it was gone......but now i'm reading about the protein thing and wondering if i made the right choice......he still licks his feet some , but nothing like he was....what is the opinion of blue buffalo lamb and brown rice..would the beef frita be better or the pork and peas.......Forde weighs about 70 Lbs....doesn't really look fat, he's a big bully.....but most important i want him as healthy as possible!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

I always recommend Fromm! I just love the whole brand and I love how you can switch through their flavors with no transition! He also doesn't need as much Fromm compared to Blue buffalo! I had switched my 2 pitbulls from bb and they eat less Fromm bc it's better food with no fillers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

thanks...didn't know you could switch to different flavors without the transition.....thanks

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Tell your vet to study dog nutrition a bit more.

As Vikinggirl pointed out - dogs rely mainly on protein for energy.

Protein content in a kibble bag is a PERCENTAGE. It's not a set AMOUNT. Percentage means, that for every serving of dog food, only X percent is protein the rest is something else and they all have to equal 100%. So, what's the other things that make up the 100%? Well, in the bag, you will see that Y percent is fat, Z percent is moisture, W percent is ash (minerals and what not), and V percent is fiber. But, if you notice all that is listed does not equal 100%. So, what is missing in the list? Well, you can assume it is CARBS because not all carbs is present in fiber. The government does not require dog food manufacturers to list Carbs %.

So, okay, all dog food people know that dogs are not efficient CARBS consumers just like they are not efficient plant protein consumers. Well, humans aren't efficient carb consumers either (hence, Atkins diet became popular) but we have a much higher tolerance to it than dogs do. So, it is pretty much a guarantee that a lower protein percentage on a bag of kibble means it has higher carbs. You can't get away from carbs in a kibble. You need the starch to make the dough that forms a kibble. But, you don't need 45+% of each serving to be carbs to form the dough. More than likely, the dog food company wants to make the kibble cheaper so they put in only a little meat (more expensive) and fill it up with high-carb things like potatoes, peas, grains, etc. to make the target calories.

Now, look at the Prey-Model Raw diet. X percent is protein. This has no relationship with the X percent protein in kibble. Why? Because what makes up a big chunk of a Prey-Model serving is Moisture (water). In kibble, moisture does not stray far from 10%. So, when a Prey-Model Raw diet says it only has 30% protein - well, that usually means close to 50% of it is water, not Carbs, and dogs are efficient water consumers.

So if you say, let's lower the protein PERCENTAGE in the kibble (means increase carbs) so the dog will lose weight... uh, you're trying to tell me that you are going to exchange efficient protein to inefficient carbs as your plan for a dog to lose weight? No, if you want your dog to lose weight, feed him less. That will lower his protein intake.
    Last edited by anatess; 04-24-2013 at 05:00 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Just hearing what the vet feeds tells me that I am not going to go with his food recommendations but on other issues you might have to wait and see.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads