URGENT!!! Dog lethargic after changing foods

staciepap

Apr 6, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi there. I am having a little bit of trouble changing my coco's food and wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Originally when we got her she was 9 weeks and on a chicken formula of purina puppy food. My vet said that we needed to take her off chicken cause bulldogs are typically allergic to it. So I started her on natural balance the limited ingredient one in lamb that my other dog eats and does great on. But she became so lethargic and sleeping all day long. It was so bizarre. So after a day or two later I realized that it must be the food so we took her off of it and she was back to her old self with in a couple days. Then the vet recommended science diet. She was on the lamb puppy formula for about a month doing quite great energy wise on it, but after a couple of weeks she got tear stains. Then I realized that it was a terribly poor food so I switched her over to natures logic lamb gluten free formula. She had no problems switching over to it like she did the natural balance except for major gas, and has had plenty of energy on it the last month, but she is so wet in her wrinkles and staining so badly, also pooing about 8 times a day that I think it isn't the best food for her. She shouldn't be having that many bowl movements so I assume that formula isn't for her, and also the gas is bad which she didn't have any at all on the science diet!! So I wondered if I should try a fish formula thinking maybe the lamb is the culprit of the staining and eyes never being dry so I picked up wellness core in the ocean formula and again after just a day of trying it she is so lethargic she just sleeps all day long. Not sure exactly what is bothering her because I know they have good ingredients but she sure reacts. I thought okay maybe it was the potatoes but natural balance didn't have potatoes in it so it can't be that cause she reacted in that one too. I only give her 75% old natures logic food and 25% new food so I can't believe she reacts like this. I thought it may be best to put her on natures variety instinct now cause I heard its great for allergies so I just bought the limited ingredient lamb one and tried her 25% today on the new food and she is still lethargic. I guess I should have waited a few more days before doing it because I tried the wellness core one a few days ago and I am not sure if that is still impacting her or if this new one impacting her. So frustrated!!! Anyone else's dogs ever been exhausted after a food change????? Its so weird and I feel like I am making her sick even though I am giving her high quality food. Don't know what she is reacting to.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she is under 6 months of age, I would put her on FROMM Puppy Gold, in the pink bag. This is what we feed all of our pups, and have had good results from it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with David, and there is a lot of switching going on which may be why she's lethargic because it may be giving her a belly ache.... Just an idea. There should only be bad gas during the switch, and switch slowly over at least a week so it's not hard on their belly. Also adding canned pumpkin (real pumpkin not pie filling) can help keep regular during a switch.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Food can be one of the most frustrating things to figure out about Bully's, so slow down and give her a chance to get settled on each food before you decide if it is working. You are being a good Bully mommy.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree. You seem to have switched and changed foods a LOT!!! All in a very short period of time. You could very well be totally overwhelming her little system.

I would try the Fromm range. Make sure you do a very slow transition over a period of 10 days or so!!!

Then stick with it for approx 30 days. That's how long it takes to get the old food out of the system and truly see how the new food is affecting her.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have never heard of this, but now that [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] knows about it and it seems to be a common thing, I'm going to do my research on it. Hope you find a reasonably simple fix for Coco's relief

OP
staciepap

staciepap

Apr 6, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Thanks for the input!!! I really appreciate the help!:):)

It may seem like a lot of switching but i feel like I really didnt have a choice. Trying to do the best thing for her. She was on science diet for over a month and was reacting to something in it because she was all red, and now has been on natures logic for a month or so and still reacting on that. Going the bathroom way too much and having terrible gas since she has been on it, also she is real red on her white face, and also lots of staining. Of course I can't keep her on that so I tried another (wellness core) I always start super slow and start with only 25 percent new food but when she is lethargic all day and can't function it is scary so i feel like i have no choice but to stop it. She is usually a totally full of energy pup, playing most of the day. Just trying to Do the best I can and give her the best food for her and her allergies. It's so frustrating! I didn't keep her on the wellness core, and the other two she reacted to for longer than a day and a half and it was only at 25%. I'm sure it is a lot for her system but just don't know what else to do.

I went back and looked at the 3 foods that she reacted to and the only thing that I can find is that.
1. They all have canola oil in them. Don't know why or if she could be reacting to it but the foods that she did well on, and had plenty of energy, didn't have canola oil in them. Sounds pretty bizarre but you never know. Maybe just a coincidence?
2. The 3 foods she was lethargic on Also we're grain free. Weird cause I know most bulldogs do better on grain free so that doesn't make much sense to me but the other foods she was on/is on right now aren't grain free. Natures logic is gluten free but has a grain(millet) in it.
3. Just maybe the formula itself bugged her for some unknown reason. Lol. Maybe it was missing something she needs.

Will look into Fromm. Thanks. Hopefully will get it figured out soon.:yes:

also even though she felt so exhausted on wellness core and natures variety instinct, the total of 3 days she was on them, she was really quite dry in her wrinkles which was shocking cause she has been just totally wet everyday the last month and a half . So it is more confirmation that she is reacting to something in the natures logic.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well being lathargic after adding just that tiny amount of food is really strange unless its bothering her that much. perhaps a limited ingredient food to help narrow down what could be causing it. is a vet visit in order to perhaps make sure nothing else is going on? not all dogs do better on grain free just most. sarah is allergic to potato peas and sweet potato so most grain free is out for her so dont rule that out. if you need help im always around.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online