Other food

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
I guess this is a food vent.. My head is hurting from all this food stuff.. I want the best food for him. That I can get to easy and can afford.. I know every dog is differnt ... This food has this in it.. This food maker has been recalled to much .. This food is to cheap..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:yes:

The hardest of all! Food!! Just ask [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..she is our Guru!

:shhhh: We THINK she used to be normal....BEFORE we all started asking for food help...now she's ....well, let's say..

:ROFL:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Always a challenge, finding the right food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I guess this is a food vent.. My head is hurting from all this food stuff.. I want the best food for him. That I can get to easy and can afford.. I know every dog is differnt ... This food has this in it.. This food maker has been recalled to much .. This food is to cheap..
oh dear i hope i havent made you pop and eye out. hon just calm down and go get something then if need be you can get something else. bully food is not an exact science as they are all different and it can well make your head spin but dont make it complicated really. we have a dog food ratings page that may help you out. and as always im around :2thumbs:
Dog Food Ratings

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
PetFlow is a great place to find out the ingredients in the food you choose and they ship to your door, over $49 free on a regular schedule

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
jumping in here...new as well and a bit overwhelmed by the food. the breeder had ernie on royal bulldog puppy food which on the charts linked here is only two stars. ernie has one red eye and is really really stuffy in the mornings. So...if I am understanding...he should be on a grain free food(not to be ignorant but I am going to assume corn is a grain?) and to avoid chicken. Do you recommend lamb or salmon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
jumping in here...new as well and a bit overwhelmed by the food. the breeder had ernie on royal bulldog puppy food which on the charts linked here is only two stars. ernie has one red eye and is really really stuffy in the mornings. So...if I am understanding...he should be on a grain free food(not to be ignorant but I am going to assume corn is a grain?) and to avoid chicken. Do you recommend lamb or salmon.

yes, corn is a grain and chicken tends to be an issue for a lot of bullies.

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
ok, so I have been trying to read through as many food threads as possible. I see that Fromm is a favorite. Can I get a few more pup brands that are grain and chicken free? I am not sure if he is having difficulty with the food but I would rather just start off on the right foot. Thank you so much! We have always had adult dogs(boxers) and never a bulldog pup so a bit overwhelmed with everything from housebreaking to food to health. Just want to get it right.:crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ok, so I have been trying to read through as many food threads as possible. I see that Fromm is a favorite. Can I get a few more pup brands that are grain and chicken free? I am not sure if he is having difficulty with the food but I would rather just start off on the right foot. Thank you so much! We have always had adult dogs(boxers) and never a bulldog pup so a bit overwhelmed with everything from housebreaking to food to health. Just want to get it right.:crazy:

No worries.... take your time and ask all the questions you need to. Our Bullies are sensitive babies and can be over whelming at first ... we are all here to help you through.

I am tagging a few members that know about the Fromm puppy foods and can give you the info.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Earthborn is a 5 star food and you can get it in grain free and chicken free!

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
so would you guys say that the food allergies come in more of the form of the redness between the paws? do you often see the red eyes as allergies(we have one red eye) or would that be cherry eye. does congestion ever show up as a food allergy? I REALLY appreciate all of your help!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
so would you guys say that the food allergies come in more of the form of the redness between the paws? do you often see the red eyes as allergies(we have one red eye) or would that be cherry eye. does congestion ever show up as a food allergy? I REALLY appreciate all of your help!

Signs of allergies are many, and yes... red eyes, red paws, and congestion are some of the signs.

Of course the red eye could be a cherry eye. Cherry eye looks like a red blister on the inside lower corner of their eye.

Fromm is a favorite on this site and you're going to see it mentioned a LOT. They do have a puppy food which is very good. Their best is the 4* line. They have 4 grain free flavours, but only 2 of those are chicken free. That would be the Beef Frittata and the new Pork & Pea one.

I know it can be overwhelming!! The journey to find the right food can sometimes be a long one but it will be worth it!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have found that with dog food, you may have to compromise on certain things to find that right balance. For example - 1.) I've sacrificed cost before - going without cable TV just so I can get the higher quality (and more expensive) kibble. 2.) I've had to change foods for convenience - the feed store where I get all of my myriads of pets' foods quit carrying the food my dog was on, so I switched him over to what the store carried. And then I had to give up convenience when I got another dog and the new dog showed allergies to the brand the store carries. 3.) I've had to sacrifice quality for allergies - going with a 4-star instead of a 5-star that did not cause allergies. 4.) And the last switch (and I hope the final one) that I made was just throwing every dog food out and going completely DIY. So that's sacrificing peace of mind and convenience and relying completely on my clunky brain to keep my dogs healthy. I figured, if my children are growing up fine, my dogs should grow up fine too.

But yes, in all these things... I try to go by the keep it simple mentality - High protein, low carb, majority of the proteins from animal sources. And, not to forget proper hydration.

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
I have found that with dog food, you may have to compromise on certain things to find that right balance. For example - 1.) I've sacrificed cost before - going without cable TV just so I can get the higher quality (and more expensive) kibble. 2.) I've had to change foods for convenience - the feed store where I get all of my myriads of pets' foods quit carrying the food my dog was on, so I switched him over to what the store carried. And then I had to give up convenience when I got another dog and the new dog showed allergies to the brand the store carries. 3.) I've had to sacrifice quality for allergies - going with a 4-star instead of a 5-star that did not cause allergies. 4.) And the last switch (and I hope the final one) that I made was just throwing every dog food out and going completely DIY. So that's sacrificing peace of mind and convenience and relying completely on my clunky brain to keep my dogs healthy. I figured, if my children are growing up fine, my dogs should grow up fine too.

But yes, in all these things... I try to go by the keep it simple mentality - High protein, low carb, majority of the proteins from animal sources. And, not to forget proper hydration.

I get what you're saying.Basically watch what yourr dog reacts to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online