Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: food

Real Name
    Laura
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: food

I am with yall on this one. The food thing is driving me crazy ..
    I take care of my paralyzed husband. We have 2 little girls 4 and 6 yrs old. Now I have my dream dog that I always wanted.. Maggie Moo birthday 12/14/12

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I have found that with dog food, you may have to compromise on certain things to find that right balance. For example - 1.) I've sacrificed cost before - going without cable TV just so I can get the higher quality (and more expensive) kibble. 2.) I've had to change foods for convenience - the feed store where I get all of my myriads of pets' foods quit carrying the food my dog was on, so I switched him over to what the store carried. And then I had to give up convenience when I got another dog and the new dog showed allergies to the brand the store carries. 3.) I've had to sacrifice quality for allergies - going with a 4-star instead of a 5-star that did not cause allergies. 4.) And the last switch (and I hope the final one) that I made was just throwing every dog food out and going completely DIY. So that's sacrificing peace of mind and convenience and relying completely on my clunky brain to keep my dogs healthy. I figured, if my children are growing up fine, my dogs should grow up fine too.

But yes, in all these things... I try to go by the keep it simple mentality - High protein, low carb, majority of the proteins from animal sources. And, not to forget proper hydration.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    speedy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I have found that with dog food, you may have to compromise on certain things to find that right balance. For example - 1.) I've sacrificed cost before - going without cable TV just so I can get the higher quality (and more expensive) kibble. 2.) I've had to change foods for convenience - the feed store where I get all of my myriads of pets' foods quit carrying the food my dog was on, so I switched him over to what the store carried. And then I had to give up convenience when I got another dog and the new dog showed allergies to the brand the store carries. 3.) I've had to sacrifice quality for allergies - going with a 4-star instead of a 5-star that did not cause allergies. 4.) And the last switch (and I hope the final one) that I made was just throwing every dog food out and going completely DIY. So that's sacrificing peace of mind and convenience and relying completely on my clunky brain to keep my dogs healthy. I figured, if my children are growing up fine, my dogs should grow up fine too.

But yes, in all these things... I try to go by the keep it simple mentality - High protein, low carb, majority of the proteins from animal sources. And, not to forget proper hydration.
    I get what you're saying.Basically watch what yourr dog reacts to.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Real Name
    Chas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pickle
    Likes (Received)

I went with Fromm because they are a very good company with a great product and were very helpful when I called them with questions. That being said, Pickle started to scratch and her face was getting a red hue, she also developed a tear stain on her right side. I was dissappointed because I wanted her to like Fromm but it was not meant to be. I switched her to Nature's Variety Instinct and her face has cleared up and her tear stain seems to be going away, she still scratch but I found that her treats have potatoes in them so I will switch away to see if that works. It does semm like you have to find that balance that works for your bully.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads